Author Topic: Lily Floral Boquets  (Read 6668 times)

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lily Floral Boquets
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 11:23:39 AM »
Timgod,  what a beautiful sight your yard must be, all those blooms just stretching on and on...  The colours are splendid!  emm

Offline magoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 03:01:05 PM »
Just curious, it the white in img 6234 Vanilla Sky? I traded one from Craig several years ago but it did not survive in Ponchatoula. There are several people here that are looking for VS. I would be inteested to know what you have to trade or sell. Ain't 95 deg F and 95% humidity nice. The heat index was over 110 here yesterday.

Dan McGehee
Ponchatoula, LA
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' to excess
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/magoo_/

Offline thepitclub

• Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 05:07:21 PM »
Okay, My lillies came and I followed your instructions! Here's a pic of my finished product.

Sooooooo... How long before mine look like yours?  :teehee:
Just kidding! But I'll keep you updated with pics as they grow.

Thanks again!

Amanda

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2007, 05:41:17 PM »
GAjen, a new lily pond! Congrats!  @O@
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2007, 07:35:25 PM »
You know it's crazy... It's just now June, it is 96 degrees here during the day and everyone stops ordering kiddie pools so they won't be stuck with them during the fall.
Heck we still wear shorts and Bar-B-Q in December here.

It went to 2 stores yesterday just to find 2 pools so I could put my victorias into something bigger.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 01:46:42 PM »
Last year, Meijers here had them marked down to a dollar.  I should have stocked up.  I do have 1.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 01:51:42 PM »
Man I wish I had seen them. I am paying 12 buck a piece and I usually buy 2 at a time to double the thickness so my weedeater doesn't cause holes and leaks.
It has in the past. >:(-

Tim

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2007, 02:02:22 PM »
Man I wish I had seen them. I am paying 12 buck a piece and I usually buy 2 at a time to double the thickness so my weedeater doesn't cause holes and leaks.
It has in the past. >:(-

OHHHHH... I never thought of that. Yikes, I'd hate to have to put a hit out on my lawn guys....
 &-)
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2007, 03:24:52 PM »
The weedeater only does a number after prolonged abuse.
I have a gas powered one that is really powerful think of an industrial model.
Over time it weakens the plastic on the pool and sooner or later I have punched a hole or caused a crack.
Now I weedeat a few times a year but late spring and early summer I Roundup around them so it is not such a hassle.

Tim

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2007, 04:22:40 PM »
Just got back from Target and they are out of kiddie pools  >:(-  I think I'll let my fingers do the walking first  O0

All excited for nothing  >:(

There is tomorrow! :D

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2007, 09:01:58 PM »
Timgod, I noticed the double pool and wondered why. Thanks for the explanation!
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2007, 10:09:32 PM »
My wife has been reading this and I missed a few posts from above. Sorry.

Amanda, nice set up. Until the pads fill it out you might want to throw some oxygenator plants in there to keep the algae at bay a bit. Just a thought.
If you fed them heavy and have warm weather it might only be a few weeks to a month. Good Luck.

Dan in LA. Sorry I missed your reply as well. No, I do not have Vanilla Sky. That is Caliente, also by Craig. It is described as a yellow lily.
For some reason it is always white for me. As the lily ages or if there are cooler nights it gets a pink tinge on the tips for me.
I was afraid it was not what I thought so I asked Craig and sent a few pix last fall. He was not sure why it looked white here vs. yellow there but said based on the pads and the fact that I thought it looked like ampla he said it was the correct plant. Evidently one of the parents was ampla.

SHeilJ glad I solved the mystery for you...even though I did not realize I had created one. lol.

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2007, 04:11:15 AM »

Amanda, nice set up. Until the pads fill it out you might want to throw some oxygenator plants in there to keep the algae at bay a bit. Just a thought.
If you fed them heavy and have warm weather it might only be a few weeks to a month. Good Luck.

Do you mean the ones that sit on the bottom; the long feathery ones? I saw those at my local pond shop when I picked up the other marginals and frog's bit I have in there. What about the liquid stuff you can buy to get rid of algae, is it something I would not want to use?
I also bought the liquid fertilizer you add to the water and put that in as well (I think it's called FloraFin, by Tetrapond).

Thanks!  :)

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2007, 07:35:36 AM »
Sunlight plus nutrients in the water can equal algae... string or otherwise.
If you can get enough plants in there to suck up the nutrients you will probably not have an algae problem.
I have anacharis in all of my pools.
You can use chemicals for algae control. I just try not to. I have used them but only in dire straits.
There are some that are safe for fish and some that are not. All of my pools have fish to keep the mosquitos at bay.
Plus if I were to use the chemicals it would get pretty expensive pretty fast for me.

I find that if I can quickly get a good balance of plants to water surface it will take care of the problem itself.
As to the Florafin, I have never used that as well. I looked on the net and it says it will not promote algae but I do not know how much you would need to really make your plants lush.
Perhaps someone else on the forum has had some experience with it.

I use pond tabs, granular flowering plant food and occassionally Osmocote for my plants for the most part.

Tim

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2007, 12:39:19 PM »
I put in some feeder fish to keep the skeeters at bay. I also found a solar powered fountain at Harbor Freight Tools to help oxygenate the water; it only works in direct sunlight, so it will run for most of the daylight hours. I was a bit worried about the splashing water on the pads in the direct sun though, (even though its not very powerful). I'll run down to my local pond store and ask for Anacharis tomorrow.
 I planted as you directed, with the granular plant food and then put 2 Pond Tabs in the big pots and one in each small pot. I picked up 3 bottles of the FloraFin because it was 75% off at Meijers. I thought maybe it would help the floating plants as well the lillies. I asked everywhere for the Osmocote, but no one around here had it. Maybe I'll check eBay or see if I can find it elsewhere online tonight.

Thanks!  O0

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2007, 03:05:14 PM »
I'm working on my patience.  :angel:
Here's an updated shot of the hardy lilly pool. The pea soup water has begun to thin, and I think they are filling in a bit. Last week we had some cold nights, but this week has been humid and HOT! I think the lillies much prefer this weather!

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2007, 04:34:30 AM »
I had to post a couple pics of my lily ponds.  :) I've come to accept that I live in Michigan and my growing season will not allow my pools to mature the way I'd like, but I have been having great fun none the less. Had to say thanks again for your help and input.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"