Author Topic: Bye bye fish pond  (Read 3031 times)

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bye bye fish pond
« on: May 29, 2007, 06:02:59 PM »
Well you've heard me ramble about enlarging the pond and trying to decide whether to go above ground or in ground ... I have decided the pond is coming out of the ground. After much thinking, pricing, layout designs, checking into city ordinances etc., I have decided just to pull the pond up. I've contacted a local guy with a large pond to see if he will take the fish. We live inside the city limits and our backyard is not suitable for a pond. The pond we have now is in the front yard and we can only dig down 2 feet deep. At that depth and the size of the yard a 2000 gallon pond is the largest I could go and that wouldn't be fair to the fish and Koi they need more room. We've already spent so much money on the one we have that I really don't want to make the investment just to have 2000 gallons.

On the brighter side.....we will be replacing it with a lily pond like Sean's and Shae's. Yes that is my final answer. I love water lily's and just can't do without them. 

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Bye bye fish pond
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 06:25:20 PM »
It's o.k., you may find that you are happier with that. You will probably still get frogs you can enjoy!
It IS alot of money and work to keep these things going. Seems to never end sometimes. Will you post pics for us?
Kathy

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 06:32:17 PM »
Of course I'll still be around just no fish. I too think I'll be happier.

Offline MikeW

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:03:12 PM »
You can still have goldies Jen. I have about 3,400 gallons, and I plopped 10 feeders in there. Not nearly the same as koi, I know, but they still give you the movement, and that flash of colour. Extremely low maintenance - actually, no maintenance at all.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 08:20:29 PM »
Yes I have a mere 1200 gal and my goldfish seem content. It's in our front yard and is 28" deep. Put in some filtration and a BD and they should be fine. Vertical sides to keep the raccoons at bay. Shubunkins look similar to koi and they won't uproot your plants—no guarantees mind you. ;D

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »
What a shock!!  :o But ya gotta do what's best. You'll still love the lily pond and the frogs will still be around.  O0

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 04:11:47 AM »
Aw Jen, I'm sorry things didn't work out like you had hoped. A lily pond will be a lot less demanding on your time and pocketbook tho, and you'll still be able to enjoy it. Sure wish I could come down and help you with it, but I need to be up here right now for my mom, and I'm still job hunting.

Offline rcr203

• Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 04:36:12 AM »
I've kept Comets in 400 gallons, 18" - 2 feet deep, in the northeast.  They do fine.

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 05:47:31 AM »
You guys........ :hug: you know my heart hurts.....are you all trying to talk me into keeping a few goldies? I may do that. I just got off the phone with a friend that has two nice ponds he is taking the Koi and the large fish sarassas/comets. I'll probably do the Sean thing and put in white cloud minnows. Gonna keep the pumps, UV Filtration system, skimmer and all just in case.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 06:13:17 AM »
Giving away your Koi is a good thing if you don't want a pond with depth.
But you've got equipment so why not use it and have a watergarden with lots of plants and a few fish? 

Just curious why you don't want to do this?

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 07:33:47 AM »
You definitely want to keep some sort of fish in there. Just my opinion.
Living in GA you have mosquitos.
Not the 2 lb bloodsuckers we have here in Texas but a pain just the same.

Fish of some sort will definitely please you and they will eat all of the unwanted guests that appear in the pond.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 08:35:16 AM »
Giving away your Koi is a good thing if you don't want a pond with depth.
But you've got equipment so why not use it and have a watergarden with lots of plants and a few fish? 

Just curious why you don't want to do this?

The pond won't house the Koi much longer and the large comets/sarassa's are 6-8 inches I guess. With a small pond that is a lot of poop and mess. I think my pond is too small for the amount of lily's I have in there now. There is a chance I may leave it and still put in a lily pond on the other side of the yard and just keep plain small goldies/sarassa's and give them away when they get big. Hubby likes his fish......I like my lily's. There has to be a compromise to this. Living in the city and only being able to go 2 feet isn't a good thing. Any suggestions Bonnie? Shae and I were just talking and discussing the addition of the lily pond. Lily's have become my favorite past time. I love to grow them and I can't imagine not having them. Living in south GA sucks under city government. The county government is so much better.

Let me add....do you guys think it would be okay to keep all the fish but the Koi? I'm not trying to sound stupid here it is just that so many people have so many different opinions on what's right and what's wrong until I'm dumbfounded.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 08:41:20 AM by GAjen »

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 08:47:08 AM »
I have a lot of goldies. Some are up to 7 inches long. They are healthy and happy.
I am overstocked by the guidelines but my water is clear and they make babies so they must feel at home.
I have'nt had any die that I know of in the last three years.
I lose plecos every year during the last hard cold snap but the goldies live on.
Most of ours are fancy fantails but we also have some comets.
One of the babies from 2 years ago is one of the biggest fish out there now. He is obviously something of a pig.

Tim

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 08:54:37 AM »
Hubby likes his fish......I like my lily's.

GAjen, We are just the opposite here.
I'm the lily fanatic... obviously.
The wife's goldfish and later her koi. They keep her happy.
I just see them as taking space away from my lilies.  >:(-  LOL   o(:-)

Tim

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 09:08:55 AM »
Me too. But I do want to remain happily married. He has done so much work on that pond.  ;D

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 10:00:13 AM »
I think relocating the koi is a great thing to do for the koi. I do think that the requirements for GF is much less. Why not do incremental steps? Loose the koi and see how it goes. I think the GF would be fine IMHO.

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 10:08:44 AM »
I think taking the Koi out is a must. I don't understand why there is so much muck in the skimmer everyday. I just came in from cleaning it again. I thought the pond being overstocked was the reason. Any help in that area?

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 10:38:54 AM »
Okay I must be missing something.. is the only reason that you are thinking of rebuilding is due to the fact that you are running out of room in your current pond?

What do you like and dislike about your current pond?
Tell us more about it.

Why not have this pond a watergarden which would have goldfish and waterlilies then build you a lily pond.  The lily pond could be either 18" - 2 ft inground, above or both?  No filtration in the lily pond and put 2-3 goldfish in there for misquitos.

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 10:46:07 AM »
That is what Shae and I were discussing Bonnie and you are right.....the pond is too small for lily's and fish at least the amount of lily's I want. I think you've hit the solution.

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 10:56:15 AM »
I think if DH likes your current pond and you like it but want more room for your addiction...
Get rid of the koi and possibly a few goldies if you are overstocked and start planning a lily pond! @O@

If it's semi raised or completely raised this means less digging! O0

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 11:23:48 AM »
I think you should do whatever makes you happiest.  But a few goldfish wouldn't be overcrowding, you've still got a big pond.   o(

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 01:40:41 PM »
It sounds like your skimmer is doing its job. It could be doing more than its job. What other filtration devises do you have?

There are always seasonal issues. I get a great deal of gunk in the skimmer for periods of time then I have times of respite. If I stir things up, more goes into the filters.

A bottom drain will help remove a great deal of gunk—but they should have their own mechanical filter.

What all do you have workin' for you in that pond?

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 03:37:02 PM »
Try what Rocman said, give the koi away and see hwo it goes. Why not? You can get rid of them later if you want. No harm. Sounds like a good place to start.
Kathy

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 08:27:54 AM »
Can I say this, Joyce did.  First thing I did this morning after finding out the breast cysts are not cancer........ @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@ was contact city hall again. After the codes inspector and building inspector saw that the pond is up against the house and I would be going more length out than width they okay'd me to go 2.5 deep up to a 12x10.  O0 Now I have to discuss this with hubby and see if he wants to enlarge the existing pond and put in a skippy. It's a happy day!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 09:29:45 AM »
Congratulations! 

However, the bigger the koi get, the more they are going to disturb your waterlilies. You probably either need a separate lily pond or to get rid of the koi if you want more and nicer waterlilies.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 09:53:11 AM »
Koi are going LeeAnne. I've actually seen my other fish digging and eating the darn things too. It's raining here for the first time since February!!!!!

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2007, 10:00:58 AM »
Rain!! Praise the Lord!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"