Author Topic: TONS of company, snakes and lillies........ id???  (Read 1358 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
TONS of company, snakes and lillies........ id???
« on: May 30, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »
HI all.. havent gotten to post in a while I am overridden with company.. having a good time but missing reading here...

Have killed two of these snakes the last two days.  Company just loves this.. has worked good though at keeping kids away from my pond :)   Anyone know what they are?  the front side is kind of black...

Lillies are starting to show for company... georgia peach from leeann is just going to town.  James brydon, a white yellow and attraction.

tinkster

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: TONS of company, snakes and lillies........ id???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 09:11:05 AM »
Tink, is that a rattler...?  :o No I don't think so. Someone will know but the head looked diamond shaped to me.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:25:47 AM »
Tink,

If you were in Florida I would bet on a Florida king snake, but as you are in KY, My vote for now will be the Eastern Milk snake.  both of these snakes are harmless to humans (unless you pick one up, their bite can be germy but are not poison).  These snakes are useful, as they eat rodents, birds, lizards and other snakes, including poison ones.

Offline kennef

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 10:42:29 AM »
johns right, i think.... looks like a milk snake, completely harmless to you, cna not likely to snag fish from the pond unless they are small and not very bright...:)  think about letting him go his own way when you see the next one... they are geat indicators of the quality of your habitat!

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 10:52:21 AM »
You don't id a snake by the shape of it's head.   You can id a poisonous snake from a non poisonous snake by the shape of the pupils in it's eyes.   Cottonmouths, copperheads and rattle snakes have verticle pupils in their eyes.   The only other poisonous snake in the US is a coral snake, which does have round pupils, but you id them by the order of the bands of color....red and yellow...(red touching yellow)...kill a fellow.   However, coral snakes are very non aggressive and you would have to pick one up and handle it to get bitten.

Snakes do so much good.   It is a shame that people have so much fear of something so totally harmless.   Just think of them as lizards with legs.   You wouldn't kill a lizard in your yard.....or would you?

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 11:28:44 AM »
Aw, he was a pretty snake!!  I agree, snakes are beneficial.  Non-poisonous, of course!! 

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »
Tink-
Boy what blooms you have there!! AMAZING! and GORGEOUS! I am still waiting for the first bud to pop. Everyday I say maybe tomorrow. I can see a little color starting to show....... watch them open Sunday when I am away for the day/night.

Yuck, hate snakes. yep, I'm one of the ones who KNOW better, but still don't like 'em.Yep, they are very beneficial and we shouldn't be without them but they still Give me the creeps. I was seeing garters here the first 2 years we lived here, didn't see any last year. Michigan only has one rattler, and it's not usually fatal.
Kathy

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 07:23:43 PM »
Snakes make my skin crawl,literally!!! Can't stand them, and does not matter what kind.
All are harmful if they cause you to have heart attack!!!

Tinkster, are you same person who used to be in BGI?

Marie

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 09:13:26 PM »
What a gorgeous snake. I wish we had them here! Don't kill them, Tink.

I don't like when snakes kill Chipmunks (love the things), but it's what they do. Can't blame them for being themselves.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 08:30:23 AM »
Very pretty lilies!! O0
Joey

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"