Author Topic: Have some Hen & Chicks to trade for water plant starts  (Read 2154 times)

Offline kennef

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Have some Hen & Chicks to trade for water plant starts
« on: May 31, 2007, 03:38:46 PM »
i never thought anyone would want hen & Chicks... i was sure they were very common! i'm willing to part with some so long as Patsy liked the ones i sent her.  i could use some hyacinths or water lettuce, frogbit, parrots feather, marsh marigold, or really anything at all.

I would also accept plants and pay for shipping if anyone didn't want hen & Chicks (but how can you not want them, they are so cute)

thanks!

Kenn

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Have some Hen & Chicks to trade for water plant starts
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 09:08:35 AM »
I'd like some Hens and Chicks.

I have parrott feather. What other plants are you looking for? Would like to send more than one thing to you.

Offline kennef

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:21:38 PM »
tell me what you have, i've not got too much in the pond other and some lilies, an iris, and some pickerel rush and horsetail.  i'm entertaining anything at all...:)

Offline Yacht Lady

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 04:59:30 AM »
Do you know what variety of Hen and Chickens you have?  I have a collection of about 200 different varieties and always want more.  I have some extra Thalia, Golden Reed and some Spatterdock (gets big - I wouldn't do it in a natural bottom pond - only in a pot).  If you have hens and chicks I don't have, I'd be interested in doing a trade.

Here are a couple of my favorites:
I love the cobweb ones.

And this is what I have to trade:
Golden Reed
Thalia
Spatterdock

Offline Susan329

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 03:01:11 PM »
I have some floating heart, water poppy, a small start of flowering rush & tons pennywort (I can't think of the correct name but it's the larger version). I probably have a couple pieces of frogbit that I can share too. I also have some chocolate mint - it's not a water plant but it needs to be thinned out. You are welcome to all of it.

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 05:06:14 PM »
Working on getting you a box full of various water plants out <smile>

Offline kennef

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 06:56:52 PM »
OK, so heres the thing....:) i have enough Hen & Chicks to maybe get 3 trades done... i had no clue you all we so excited about them!!  ;D

the wife will murder me if i do more, but i do have a source for some more in a few weekends. this old Thai lady that i get some of my plants from has the most amazing hen & Chick collection ever, and sells them on weekends along with some other plants on the cheap.  I will see what she has, and if i can find any new and fun varieties i will take pics and snaps some up in the hopes you might see some you like.

Everyone I've replied to so far, thank you so much. and to those who i haven't, i will get with you once i am sure i can provide you with something...:)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 07:04:16 PM by kennef »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 10:09:55 AM »
Since Kennef is out, for now, I will post that I have some extra Hens & Chicks. Mine are green with reddish tips. They get about 6" across but the extras aren't that big.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Yacht Lady

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 12:12:05 PM »
LeeAnne, My guess from your description is that you probably have Sempervivum tectorum.  Do you have a picture? 

Make sure to send out at least two of them to you tradee because if one flowers and doesn't pup, then you tradee won't have it come fall.  The Hens almost always set pups after they flower and before they die off, but not always.  If they both flower, same thing, but I always send at least a big and a little one and hope for the best.

I got a large collection from one of the wholesalers a few years ago and about a third of the hens flowered and died and left no chickens.  ARGH!

Karen

Offline kennef

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 11:02:33 AM »
ok, i have sent out what i promised to each of those who have traded as of today!! i am very happy to have done so. i hope that they all get to you in good order, and that you'll be happy with them.

yachtLady, i do believe that the species i have are the same as LeeAnne describes, who i have some that seem to be a little more red than green heheh

Offline luvmyasagis

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 01:45:26 PM »
I got mine today,wow they look great. I will be sure to leave you some feedback, thanks
Have a blessed day

Offline kennef

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 05:09:58 PM »
i have a feeling this is working out really well!! i have 3 of 4 packages received, and you all were really generous!! i hope that everyone else got their hens and chicks ok, and that they look good! this was one of my 1st trades on this forum, i am so glad you guys were so good to me!
 @O@

Offline luvmyasagis

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 05:45:51 PM »
Here is mine planted, they will look really great when they fill it out real good. It is an old table top fountain that I don't use anymore because the cat drinks it dry.
Have a blessed day

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2007, 11:02:49 AM »
That looks very nice.

Mine look different. I took a picture but haven't uploaded it yet.

No worries, I sent many.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"