Author Topic: Water Hyacinth Question  (Read 781 times)

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Water Hyacinth Question
« on: June 02, 2007, 06:08:32 AM »
I put a small clump (for lack of better term) of Water Hyacinth in my smaller pond a couple weeks ago, which is quickly growing into a big clump. Is there anything in particular that encourages them to bloom? I actually purchased them to put in the larger pond, but I then read they need more sun, so I moved them. The larger pond only gets a small amount of sun early in the am (on the east side of house, under a huge Tulip tree). The small pond in front gets sun about half the day (faces south, but still partially under a huge Sycamore tree). They seem to be multiplying well there. Do you think they would survive okay in the shaded pond, if I divided the clump? Even if they didn't bloom there, they would provide the needed cover. I reside in zone 5, so they obviously would not survive winter here. Could I winter them in the 300 gallon container I'm going to winter my fish in (inside, of course)?
 ?)(?
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
Re: Water Hyacinth Question
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 07:57:11 AM »
They will grow fine in the shade, but they may not bloom.

They are very difficult to keep alive indoors.  They need lots of bright light and warmth.  It is usually cheaper and easier to replace them every spring.
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Water Hyacinth Question
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 11:01:44 AM »
I've had trouble overwintering indoors, even in decent light. They tend to get covered in spider mites really fast. Cheaper and easier and safer to buy new in the spring; they multiply so fast you don't need to buy many!
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"