Author Topic: Black GameCock going to seed?  (Read 1608 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Black GameCock going to seed?
« on: June 02, 2007, 10:35:35 AM »
I have some Black GameCock Iris's planted in my Watergarden and I noticed these huge seed pods forming (least that is my best guess) should I harvest these and if so when? Thanks for any assistance. Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: Black GameCock going to seed?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 03:05:14 PM »
General consensus is to harvest when they begin to split.
Around here that is around July 4th.
I would bet it will be in that ballpark timeframe for you as well since we have such similiar climates.

I have seed from about 20 pods from last year that are now abot 6 inch tall plants so I hope to see new flowers next spring.
Did you see my earlier posts with pix of all of the La. Irises that bloomed earlier this spring.
I now have about 100 seed pods. Some look like miniature watermelons.
I have some that are about 4.5 inches long.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 07:26:33 PM »
El Jefe, what are you planning to do with those seeds?

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 02:36:30 PM »
Tim thanks for the Info I will be watching them. My Dutch iris's and my Varigated Iris are all doing the same. I take it I let them all dry out and ten plant them?
    Scott not sure but there seems to be plenty. Why do you ask?

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 06:00:07 PM »
Tim thanks for the Info I will be watching them. My Dutch iris's and my Varigated Iris are all doing the same. I take it I let them all dry out and ten plant them?
    Scott not sure but there seems to be plenty. Why do you ask?

Andy

Would you be willing to share a few? Please. ::)

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 07:46:13 PM »
Sure as soon as they get a little more mature. Pm me your address
Andy

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 07:21:09 AM »
A few of mine are already starting to split as it has been so hot for quite some time already.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"