Author Topic: Photo of Strange Plant for Yachtlady  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Photo of Strange Plant for Yachtlady
« on: June 03, 2007, 08:14:10 PM »
Not the best pictures, its hanging over my deck.  I think I need to move it around in the pot some, its mostly growing on one side.  I know I broke off a couple pieces during the winter in the greenhouse oops, and just stuck them down in the pot and they grew.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Photo of Strange Plant for Yachtlady
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 04:31:25 AM »
Are you looking for an ID? Might be a kalanchoe?
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 08:33:05 AM »
Tthis is what Yachtlady sent me last year calling it strange plant.  She was wanting to see a pic of it, because her's didn't over winter.  Its something she got in Hawaii.

Kim
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 01:00:36 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 10:06:57 AM »
I'm sure it is a Kalanchoe.  {:-P;;  Would not expect it to over winter outdoors anyway.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Yacht Lady

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 12:21:45 PM »
Yes, Kim, That is strange plant.  Thank you.  I haven't been able to decide if it is a Kalanchoe or a Crassula.  It definitely does not winter over.  Are you sure LeeAnne that it is a kalanchoe?  I was leaning toward the crassula. 

Kim, I kept it in full sun and it was much fuller with bigger leaves and they were much closer together on the stem.  Have you had it in the shade or partial sun?  In the brighter light, the edge of the leaves will get pinkish.  Wait till you see the great flowers.  They are too kewl.

Oh yes, they are one of the easiest plants I have ever started from a pinch. 

Kim, did your sleeping dog hosta come back.  If not, drop me a note.  OK?

Karen
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:27:10 PM by Yacht Lady »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 03:47:51 PM »
Didn't you say in another post that it grew babies on the leaves? That is a very common Kalanchoe trait.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 05:37:03 AM »
okay, I have something that looks very much like your "strange plant". I "borrowed" mine from a bog while on a camping trip about 5 years ago. {:-P;;
 I also have broken off pieces on accident and they grew well when stuck back in the dirt and watered deeply. I have no idea what mine is either, but it has wintered just fine way up here in Michigan (I think I am zone 5 ??).  I will see if I can get a pic, but mine looks a pretty icky right now from some nasty aphids that chewed it to pieces this spring. It's coming back nicely now that I sprayed it, but it still looks kind of rough. Mine flowered for the first time last year- a pretty red colored flower. What did the flower from yours look like?
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 04:49:39 PM »
This is a cutting I planted for my mom, I didn't get a pic of the whole plant yet. The main plant grows just like yours in the pic, almost vine-like in a way. I wonder if they could be different varieties of Crassula, with this one being a "hardier" variety?
BTW, the flower last summer was more of a cluster of tiny red flowers.

I'd be glad to get a cutting started for you, if you would like one that winters well!
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 05:46:25 PM »
Here are a few shots of the original plant, where you can see how it grows like yours does from the pot. They must be a very closely related species. I'd sure like to know what mine is too. You can see the damage from the nasty aphids, and it appears darker than it really is from the insecticide. My mum called it Frog's Tongue, but I'm quite sure that's her pet name for it.  ;)

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 10:48:02 AM »
That is very pretty....I can't wait to get it.

Kim

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 09:19:40 AM »
There are many Crassulas. I've never heard of a Crassula being winter hardy colder than Zone 9 or 10. Ditto Kalanchoes. I don't think there are any native to the USA either nor bog plants. Thepitclub's must be someone else.

~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 04:52:05 AM »
The way the colors in the leaves are described, is it possible it's in the Sedum family verses Crassula? I have a Sedum that has very pretty pinkish purple hues in the leaves.

This site has over a thousand pics of different varietys- I had no time to look through before work today....  :o
http://www.sedumphotos.net/main.php

http://www.mountaincrestgardens.com/

This flower looks like the ones my strange plant has in the fall, but it's not the right color- makes me think mine just might be a Sedum variety too though. http://www.sedumphotos.net/v/sedum-ghij/Sedum+hidakense+rubellum.jpg.html
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 05:19:24 AM by thepitclub »

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2007, 04:21:50 PM »
There are many hardy sedums, so it could be a sedum but I've never heard of a sedum that is tolerant of wet feet nor one that grows new plantlets on the leaves.

The main thing is that you like it and it's name doesn't really matter!
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"