Author Topic: Savio skimmer w/brushes modification...  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Savio skimmer w/brushes modification...
« on: August 10, 2006, 09:05:26 PM »
I keep trying to improve the skimmer set-up. It's my entire mechanical filtration unit so I've been trying to eek all I can out of it...

When I first installed brushes across the back of the skimmer I found they did very little filtering. There was nothing to get the water to flow through them all. I then moved them to the side of the skimmer where the first two brushes in line pick up most of the goop. The 4"x14" brush in the UV port is a perfect fit.

My problem was the central housing portion of the skimmer was coming loose and letting water get under it. I had removed the screws to the side plates that hold everything in place to fit in the brushes, even when I would fit them back in place without the screws, things came loose.

So this angled bar across securely holds the housing in place so even the mat holder across the back slides right into place where it belongs. I can rapidly pull up my brushes and not worry things will get pulled loose.

I used an anodized aluminum angle 3/4"x3/4"x1/8". Cut it to length, shaped it, notched to fit the center housing?(see close-up) then drilled a hole to fit the standard screw that comes in the skimmer, and screwed it down. I also added an additional piece of mat to the inside of the pump chamber in front of the standard mat holder. I don't have UV but I suspect this modification would allow one to still be placed in the UV spot, using one less brush on each side.

Offline 10kpond

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Savio skimmer w/brushes modification...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 03:56:16 AM »
got a picture??

Offline cfarm

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 09:06:48 AM »
Rocmon, am I seeing that right and you filled in the voids on either side of the weir with foam?

Have you considered the fiberglass screen epoxied to the divider? Don't remember where I saw that done, but I'm considering it.

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 01:44:35 PM »
The blue stuff on either side of the weir is just a couple of scraps of Matala blue mat I had left over?I never clean them I just figured it would be a place to put some biofilter kind of stuff in wasted space...

The fiberglass on the mat holder looked like a good idea?it was on koiphen a little while back. I've thought about it but figure I get more filtration out of a 1"+ piece of mat. Seems like it would be quick to clog too. Should probably do a follow up post to the guy who did that and see if it's still working well for him. I've toyed with the idea of a micro screen in place of both mats, but then I'd have to devise a way to suck the debri off the bottom of the skimmer. With the double mats I can pull out the mat holder one and not have to deal with the other one for a much longer time, as well as keep stuff from getting to the pump input.

10k?there are two pictures, are you not seeing them?

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 02:51:16 PM »
 8) Rocmon.....  Is the vertical angle facing the back or front of the Savio?  Since seeing your post last spring I put the BK brushes in, and you're right, whenever I clean the leaf basket, brushes or rear mat, everything moves around and is a PITA to reseat and align.

However, the brushes work like a champ!!!!

Anyway, I'm also gonna give this a try....  Looks like a great fix!!

Take Care...   Dave

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 05:53:17 PM »
The angle is at the back on the top. The lower edge locks down on the lower part of that central thing where there is a 90 degree ~3/4" drop in that housing. The little slot that I notched in lets it move forward enough to catch on all of it.

I'm having to clean the brushes more now?tells me how much was getting by the central housing...

Offline velveteagle

• Members
  • Building My Ponds And Capturing Photos
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • RedBubble
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 06:59:34 AM »
Nice Job.. I too have the same skimmer and use it for my Baby Koi pond. I have the pump outside drawing threw a basket before it hits the pump. Also a small rock bog type waterfall basin to grow plants in for filtering help. What type of water pump do you use inside the skimmer or outside and size and brand please.. I have to purchase one for connecting three Lotus growing ponds together and wanted a system that was not to hard to clean out but filters threw the skimmer for larger objects ..Been away from here too long digging and setting up our newest ponds .. all is going well.. thanks for the info..
Chuck
LIFE IS TOO SHORT LIVE IT !!!!!!

Offline krandy21784

• Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 12:12:26 PM »
Hi Rocmon,

I am not familiar with the brushes that you have in the back...what are they and where can I get them?

Thanks

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 01:37:28 PM »
Howdy Rocmon...   How do you keep the mat holder in the back of the Savio seated?  I'm assuming you do away with the UV covers when you have your angle bar in place..... 
Thanks...  Dave

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 10:51:39 PM »
Sorry, I've been away viewing mom's ponds in the Sierras, good water flow this year with all this winter's snow... Wish I could get some of those granite mountains in place around my pond... :o

krandy: They are Black Night brushes. I got mine from Kevin at http://www.aquaticpondsupplies.com/ they are 4"x14"

finnpond: The bar holding everything tight makes the mat holder slide right into place, and it stays there. Yes the UV holders are in the garage now...

Chuck: I've got a Wave 1 1/4hp externally mounted. Pumps are quite dependent upon your ponds needs and how much flow you want. Figure out your head height, pipe friction loss, and GPH you need, then go looking for a pump.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 07:30:16 AM »
Rocmon, nice job. I need to get over to KP and do some research, as I've been wanting to modify my Savio since day 1.

So you completely removed the UV sleeves, or just stuffed them with brushes? Mine are empty right now.
I've been thinking about doing what cfarm mentioned and filling the weir voids with foam. Don't like that void, and find frogs hiding in there all the time.

I've added several BK brushes, and modified the pad slightly, but more needs to be done. Should have added a drain when installing, but did not and now I pay at cleaning time.

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"