Author Topic: First Lotus Bloom of the Season, 2nd day bloom. 3RD Day Bloom has been added  (Read 3277 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I was hoping she wouldn't open until Father's Day weekend, I'll have a whole house full of company that Sunday.  Oh, well maybe one of the other buds will wait.  I was surprised when I saw it opened today.

Pics aren't good, one of those days after working all night my eyes aren't even focused yet.

Kim

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 12:41:31 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: First Lotus Bloom of the Season
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 10:55:52 AM »
It is beautiful!

I saw one for sale at a nursery the other day, $55!!!! had about three leaves.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Celia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:20:01 PM »
Beautiful bloom, looks great to me.
Celia

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 06:55:20 PM »
She is beautiful!  Mine is ready to pop any day to.. cant wait to see what color she is.  I think from the bud she is gonna be pink like yours.

Isnt it always the case.. flowers never bloom when ya wants.  My worst thingy is my pond gets no sun at all after 5 its deep shade and all my lillies are always closed when I have people over in the summer :(

tinkster

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 07:09:10 PM »
BEAUTIFUL ! My Green Maiden & Perry's Giant Sunburst has a bud each ....cannot wait for them to open!
bonnie

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 09:11:53 AM »
It's gorgeous. Mine died....RIP.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:15:17 AM »
 :D Love your lotus flower Kim!

I have a lotus-less barrel that holds mosquitos now  >:(-  You've given me a reason to try again next year.  ::)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 09:28:33 AM »
Way ahead of me, how pretty.  I have a very little bud on my Green Maiden, all the rest are just putting up pads yet.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 10:05:07 AM »
Very pretty Kim!
Joey

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Its all the way open today, but I'm afraid the winds will whip it pretty bad today.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
WOW! It's gorgeous! Congrats!!!
Kathy

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
Wow that is nice, I am officially jealous....  O0 My lotus seems to have had a major set back. One day it is great the next day after a heavy florida downpour the leaves seemed to decompose. Later I found what appeared to be 2 small catapillars on a couple of leaves (webbing and all, almost like a tent catapillar but not as intense) I do not know if it was the pummeling the plants took and then the intense heat afterward that caused the leaves to burn or if the bugs got to it. At any rate I had to trim off all the affected leaves and it amounted to quite a bit. I hope it recovers well.
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Great shots Kim. Keep posting.

Chief, don't trim the stems below the water line. The lotus can actually drown if too many stems are cut below the water level.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
I sent him a PM about that...we were thinking alike.

Kim

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
Gorgeous! 
Joey

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
Very nice I love them when they are not fully blown. All I have is very double blooms. I hope someday to get a single red.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Wow Kim, your lotus bloom is so beautiful and your photos are very good. Hope you get some more too.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Kim, that is spectacular!

Tink, get Perry's Baby Red, it stays open! It is open in evening and during cloudy rainy days too. Open in the shade too when all the others are closed.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Here is the 3rd day pic.

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
    • View Profile
GREAT pics Kim!!   O0  O0  O0
Joey

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
 :D Love your newest pics Kim.

Very nice colors and the bug....nice touch  8)

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
Tim and Kim, Yeah I did not do my homework on that one and I officially suck. Well live and learn, hopefully Tinkster will forgive me and my ignorance  :'( Who knows maybe I will get lucky and it won't die off on me.  Ugh!

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Andy hang in there, all is not lost yet.  Just let it be and see what happens.

Kim

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Nice photos, unfortunately my lotus are just going arial.  Well I always look forward to blooms in late July!!!

Gary

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Here's what my 4 news ones from this year look like.....they're putting along.

Offline rdrboone

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
Kim, are the photos of the lotus flowers Mrs. Perry D. Slocum?  They are very beautiful. 
I, also, love the line of lotus pots along the fence.  How large are the pots?  Can you leave the lotus in them over winter?
Thanks, Ruth  o( o( o(
Ruth

Offline Danny

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    • View Profile
Kim,

You took beautiful pictures of your lotus,  I am very evny since many of my lotus never bloom years after years.  I am still trying to see them bloom this year, wish me luck.

In the past, my lotus leaves seem to burned by overfertilized.  I used topsoil in a container.

This year, I used slow released fertilizer--However, the container still floating w/green alge.  Any good suggestions?  What type of soil, fertilizer do you use and how much soil do you put in the container.   

Mahalo.    Danny       Honolulu, Hawaii

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    • View Profile
I need to find a place to purchase a full grown blooming lotus!!! They are just gorgeous!

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
Your lotus blooms and your photos are beautiful Kim.  I'm trying to avoid digging out an area for lotus but every time I see photos like yours my resolve wavers just a little.  Holding strong for now, no lotus in my immediate future.   {:-P;;  emm

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Ruth,

When I first pot them up, I just put in some osmocote, then some garden dirt about 3 or 4 inches, lay the tuber on top and put something on it to hold it down to keep it from floating.  Cover it with enough water to cover the tuber good, and over about 1/2 inch. 

Those flowerpots are at least 18 inches, I didn't measure them but I know they were huge (got them at the dollar general store for 7.00 ea.)  I'm hoping they do fine over the winter in the ground like that.  I have some sheet insulation, I'm going to lay that on top and a few bags of mulch on that.  Try to keep them as warm as I can.  We'll see.............

Kim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"