Author Topic: AHAH!!  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
AHAH!!
« on: June 13, 2007, 01:12:43 PM »
I've been having trouble with a few of my neighbors cats and I have been trapping them and turning them over to animal control.  I thought I had trapped all the trouble makers but I decided to leave the trap out for a few more days to ensure I got them all.

A couple of times now I noticed the trap had been sprung but nothing was inside the cage.  I tested the mechanism and it was working fine.  Hmmmmm..... Ghost cats????

So I've been peeking out my window from time to time trying to see if I could get a glimpse of the ghostly cat that was somehow tripping the mechanism without being captured.  Impossible so I thought.

So today I was peeking out my window and I saw this beast approaching the trap.  Slowly it walked into the trap, oblivious as to the danger of being trapped.  Is this the phantom I thought?  It paused and looked about.  It seemingly had no fear as to what was about to happen.  It walked in a little further and paused.  Surely this can't be the beast, I thought.  It then walked in further and stepped upon the weight sensitive mechanism that causes the rear door to slam shut.  BANG! the door slammed shut.  Did I trap the beast?  Was it just my imagination?

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

No, it was not my imagination.  The beast quickly ran right out through my cage.  Here's a photo I took later in the day when the beast was elsewhere, looking to get into more mischief...

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: AHAH!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 01:16:06 PM »
 lol lol lol lol
Mikey that's so funny  lol lol lol lol  What a mystery and what a sleuth  {-) you are.  Cats are a problem for me too >:(-

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 01:36:37 PM »
Oh my!  At first I was thinking, "is that a skank?"  Then I realized it was skink, not skank.  :D   It's a skink, a kind of lizard, right?  Or some kind of lizard.  He's handsome.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 01:43:45 PM »
That doesn't look like any "skank" I've ever seen, and I've seen a few in my time!!  lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

I trapped a racoon last night in our trap, to be relocated somewhere else where it can't find it's way back to my garage!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 02:11:18 PM »
MikeW needs one of those traps O0

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 02:19:23 PM »
As I recall the "skank" is cooling her heels inside L.A. County Jail  {-) lol

This lizard is a common California Fence Lizard.  At least they were common locally until domesticated cats started killing off everything they can catch....  which is one reason I trap cats.  I brought a few of these lizards here several years ago after catching them at my former place of work, a few miles from here.  They have since multiplied quite nicely but likely won't spread beyond my property because of cats. 

It's too bad that people don't keep their cats indoors because they kill nearly all of the small wildlife that used to be abundant here; lizards, toads, skinks, frogs, ground nesting birds etc.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 02:22:42 PM »
Plus cats like to use my garden for their personal toilets  >:(-

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 07:01:09 PM »
My orange kitty stays by the house, and doesn't catch wildlife, I trained him on our invisible fence with an electric collar so he can't roam.  He kept getting outside despite our best efforts, and we really, really tried.  He even broke our window screens to get out.  He actually only goes out in the warmer months, he hates cold weather.  A few days of his collar in the spring, and he's reminded of his boundaries and doesn't wear it the rest of the year.  Another of our 4 cats just couldn't be trained on the fence, though.  He's 10 now, and the past year has been going out because he kept escaping.  He does stay close to home.  The invisible fence collar just didn't bother him.  I did my best to keep them in.  Two of our four cats are good kitties and stay inside, always, never been out.  But the other two just wouldn't cooperate.  We have done our best.  I love wildlife too, but these two cats were just impossible to keep indoors.   :-\

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 07:59:05 PM »
I know Barb, I do what I can here too, with me being a rescuer of cats--I can't keep them all inside.  The wildlife they catch are mice and rats, which is great around the barns!  We don't have lizards here. 

Oh, is MikeW in need of a skank trap? I mean skink trap?  Does he need a cat trapped?   lol  lol  Doesn't that sound a lot like Dr. Seuss?
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 07:59:21 PM »
I'm glad you solved your mystery, Mikey!  He's a cute little guy.

My grandson has a Great Plains Skink that he and two other grandsons found (about 10 miles from us).  His little "Lizzy" is being kept inside and fed crickets from the pet store.  

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 09:10:59 PM »
This reminds me of an episode of "Cheers". Barb, was that a Skank? I can't remember the name of the creature.

Mikey, your 'creature" is cute!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 10:16:40 PM »
LOL, too funny.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 08:58:46 PM »
Mikey that is just a riot  lol

Mary

Offline Sandye

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 10:21:03 PM »
I wouldn't have guessed that a skink would have enough weight to trip that kind of trap.  Approximately how long is he, Mikey?

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 08:23:49 AM »
Sandye: Surprised me too.  The lizard is only about 10" long.  I've now re-located the trap and no more ghost problems.  No cats either, so I guess I will put it away again until the next invasion.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 05:19:34 PM »
Mikey.. I like that you're ready for action  O0

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2007, 09:55:33 PM »
He's a pretty good-sized skink, then.  I guess they probably set the Have-A-Hart traps (or similiar ones) so they won't catch mice, etc., but will catch anything a little heavier than that.     8)

At least you know you don't have ghost cats.   ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"