Author Topic: Mayla ???  (Read 821 times)

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Mayla ???
« on: September 03, 2006, 07:53:37 PM »
For those of you who grow this lily.... what size pot do you have it planted in ??
I had one lily last year that got pot bound and died. :'(  I think it was planted in that pot for just 6 months.  I do not want this to happen to the Mayla that I have.  It is just a little plant right now but I have big plans for it. Below it what I have found out on the net.  Please share your experience.  Thanks 

It has a running rootstock (odorata) and for this reason requires a very large container to do it justice. It grows exceptionally well in natural ponds where its roots have total freedom. When established, the leaves can be well in excess of 30cm (12") in diameter, so definitely not one for the tub garden.

Myra
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 08:36:06 PM by small fish »
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Mayla ???
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 08:38:38 PM »
Whatever size pot you put Mayla in, it will punch its way through or just plain amble up and away if the mood takes it. The only pot that would make it pot bound is something in the way of iron or concrete...

If you put it on a two foot wide pot it might take a couple of years to dawdle out of it. The main purpose of the pot is for the plant to establish its roots and anchor the plant, when it is big and strong it will cope quite happy growing into open water, unless something like ravenous koi, turtles or crayfish take a shine to eating all the feeder roots that stray into in open water

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"