Author Topic: Look at my fishies  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Look at my fishies
« on: June 15, 2007, 12:58:30 PM »
Here are the new koi I bought this year.

The one with orange head was found dead yeasterday.  and I haven't seen the black one since I put him in the pond, I bet he's just hiding because I have a couple more that I don't see much.  Plus I have a shubunkin that keeps going in the skimmer.  The black one and the grey butterfly and the butter colored butterfly are my favorites.  The guy I bought the black one off of said he is rare and I paid more for him.  When I bought them he had just taken them off his truck and hadn't really looked at them yet.  He said if I hadn't seem him first he would have kept him.  He said his brother paid $188 for one the same size as mine.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Look at my fishies
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:30:00 PM »
Nice collection.  I hope you don't loose anymore.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 09:37:53 AM »
Pretty fish!!!

I think I'll stick with feeder goldfish. I can't imagine loosing a fish worth that!   :o

Offline Celia

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 11:12:49 AM »
Love the white with yellow splashes on him, I saw one like that at the pond store locally, $99.00, about 10 inch long.  Of course I love the gold butterfly too.  I had a black one in my pond for a whole season before he showed his self good, and had grown where he showed up better LOL.  I guess I got him with an order of fish I had sent to me by a friend, and at the time I didn't notice he was all black.  He may not have been that dark when he was smaller.   Nice fish, hope you have good luck with the rest.
Celia

Offline Celia

• Members
  • With us since: 17/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:16:21 AM »
Oh I may be wrong, is that gold one a butterfly?  The lighter color gold one?
Celia

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 12:23:20 PM »
Very pretty! I read somewhere that in China they believe solid black koi bring good luck. Maybe that is why they cost more? 
I have one just like the silver with the yellow head, it's one of my fav's!
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 07:31:18 PM »
Oh I may be wrong, is that gold one a butterfly?  The lighter color gold one?

Yes the one gold one is a butterfly it has a small streak of orange on its top fin.  I apsolutely love it  o(:-) o(

Very pretty! I read somewhere that in China they believe solid black koi bring good luck. Maybe that is why they cost more? 
I have one just like the silver with the yellow head, it's one of my fav's!

I sure hope it does bring me some good luck.  I named him midnight maybe I should change it to lucky  ;D/
So far they are all doing good and show no signs of anything and a few are starting come up at feeding time  @O@ @O@
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 07:56:31 PM »
Nice looking koi Monica   O0 . I love the gold one  o(:-).
I had a black & white collie named Lucky once...... :)
bonnie

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 08:31:38 PM »
Hi Bonnie.  Ally caught a wild bird at Lowe's one time when she was 3 it jumped on her finger and rode there all around the store, so she made me buy it food so she could feed it (I couldn't tell her no) and it stayed on her finger till we got home then it flew on top of the house and watched her for a while then it flew away and she named him lucky. 

Any way here is a picture all took of some of the pond yesterday.  They follow her around the pond.  She is trying to get them to eat out of her hand.

Can you tell which one is Bonnie?

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 11:33:55 AM »
I bought a black koi at PetSmart for $3.99.  A coupla years later, he's about a foot long.  What's cool is that he has those Deutch scales - the German kind - or whatever they call them, where the scales are very large and distinct.  The only thing is, since the liner is black, you can hardly ever see that fish.  I should cull him out so there'll be more oxygen for the fish you CAN see - but I don't have the heart.

I wonder if the one you lost died because of the same reason we were discussing on Pond Chat, under my post about "Are New Koi More Prone to Die?"  Because the new ones are not imune to whatever "bugs" live in your pond, that the existing fish are all accustomed to. 

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 06:46:33 PM »
I give up Monica....which one did your kid's name Bonnie ?
bonnie

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 07:43:00 PM »
The Japanese believe a black karasu (I think that is how it is spelled) or crow koi brings good luck.  But they aren't really all that rare to have to pay a lot for them.  Saw some great black longfins last year.  If I see one at that show again this year I just may HAVE to get one  {:-P;;
Mary

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 06:13:46 AM »
I give up Monica....which one did your kid's name Bonnie ?
bonnie

It's the platinum white and black butterfly.  He's a real piggy too when its time to eat.

The Japanese believe a black karasu (I think that is how it is spelled) or crow koi brings good luck.  But they aren't really all that rare to have to pay a lot for them.  Saw some great black longfins last year.  If I see one at that show again this year I just may HAVE to get one  {:-P;;
Well the guy I bought it from said it was rare, I guess he lied  {nono}

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"