Author Topic: Pond has cleared ... finally!  (Read 1028 times)

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond has cleared ... finally!
« on: June 17, 2007, 03:25:54 PM »
Things have been sorta challenging here lately ... all was fine, pondwise, till the water temp hit the 70+ degree mark and then it was pea soup time ... We lived with the pea soup for all of May and the first half of June and then ... BOOM ... over the course of about 36 hours everything cleared! It was like someone did a water change while I wasn't looking  @O@  In reality, the change was quite dramatic!

Now that things are clear, I can see the trials and tribulations that await me. The bioload is significantly higher than I thought ...  :o ... In addition to the 4 turtles (2 cooters 6" & 3", 2 softshells both about 4-5") and 3 frogs ... there are 11 koi (from about 13" down to 6"), about 30-35 goldies/shubunkins (ranging from 8" down to 3"). Also, I can now see literally HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of smaller (1.5" down to teeney-weeney) rosy red & fathead minnows, goldfish, etc. as well as THOUSANDS of toadpoles!  :o

I'm not sure that there is anything to be done beyond letting nature take it's course :thinking: but the clearing of the pea soup sure showed that there's lots more going on under the surface than first meets the eye.
"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond has cleared ... finally!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »
What got it to clear up?

And how big is it?  That really IS a lot of life, unless it's a really large pond.

I have turtles, too.  But I keep them in their own seperated area, with two small ponds of their own.  They're FILTHY! (esp after Saturday, when they get fresh fish)  But their water never gets green - they're pretty shaded, plus, they get a complete water change every Sunday.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 02:56:58 AM »
Well you certainly will have alot to look at! That water sure is clear now!!
Kathy

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 11:03:17 AM »
Isn't it nice when it happens like that.  One day green, then Boom its clear.  It does sound like there has been quite the party going on under the surface.  Hope nature does help ya out a little, think about it when all those babies get big enough to join in on the party.....whew.  But, congrats on the clear pond it looks really great.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 11:04:02 AM »
Isn't it nice when it happens like that.  One day green, then Boom its clear.  It does sound like there has been quite the party going on under the surface.  Hope nature does help ya out a little, think about it when all those babies get big enough to join in on the party.....whew.  But, congrats on the clear pond it looks really great.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 04:31:53 PM »
Now that is clear.  There might really be hope for my water yet.

Offline Shep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 06:50:40 PM »
Meant to comment on the clarity of your water the other day, it is exceptional.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"