Author Topic: Timgod... fishies in lily ponds  (Read 1072 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Timgod... fishies in lily ponds
« on: June 17, 2007, 04:20:22 PM »
Hey Tim....I am doing the kiddie pool with lilies idea, thanks to you.  I only have 3 established potted lilies in the pool out in the sun - don't make me name them  >:( Forgot 'em  :D

You mentioned to keep mosquitos at bay you add feeder fishies (goldies or minnows?) but can they handle the heat of the water when the pool is in the sun all day?

Happy Father's Day!  8)

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: Timgod... fishies in lily ponds
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:11:11 AM »
They do fine.
My heat is always in the mid 90s or higher.
Once your lilies and any oxygenators you put in there fill out it usually provides shelter from the sun as well as any possible predators.
I buy the cheap 10¢ and 25¢ goldfish feeder fish and toss in a handfull.
Within a year or so they are usually 3" to 4" long and I move them to the bigger pond.
I tried some native mosquito fish once but they didn't last for whatever reason. Who knows maybe they got ate by the bigger fish as they were about 1/2" long.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 09:13:11 AM »
Thanks again Tim!  Going to get me some fishies.  10 cent goldies works for me.  8)

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 09:19:57 AM »
No problem girl,
Hope you do well.

Tim

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 11:29:19 AM »
yup, that is what I started out with was the feeders.  Some of them end up being beautiful fish, I know your's is just for mosquito control, but wait till you see what some turn into.    o(:-)

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 12:04:21 PM »
Kim,
Oh believe me I know. I have some beautiful goldies that are up to 6" long now.
That is why I put them in the bigger pond. So I can see them more often... as well as the wife.
My propagation pools get so full of pads that you can never see what is lurking beneath. I actually have to trim as often as I can so I can look for developing seed pods. I've already had at least 4 pop this year that I was not aware of. This is a lot earlier than last year but I have more lilies and it has been quite a bit hotter here as well.

Tim

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 12:12:18 PM »
Seed Pods?!?!?!  Jeez I have a lot to learn.  Probably won't get there for a while though.  Just hoping what I have will stay alive.  I do not have the master hand on waterlilies like Tim or others.

I can only try to make Master Tim proud  ::)

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 12:25:18 PM »
I'm no master. I learn something new all of the time.
I tried for 3 years to get seed to set for hybridization.
Not one pod. I learned that many of the hybrids are sterile or at least not very fertile.
To that end I bought 4 species lilies last year. Species lilies are where are the hybrids and crosses started.
By crossing into some hybrids with a species or crossing a hybrid back into a species I was able to get some seed to set.
I didn't do so well when I got the seed though.
I planted them in little black Rotisserie chicken containers, black about 2.5" tall with a 4" clear domed lid.
I thought the greenhouse effect would warm the water for the seeds and speed up their growth.
I was right about it warming the water.....waaaaayyyy too right.
Even in November here it basically cooked my seed.
I have a few seedlings popping up now but I really screwed up my 1st go around.
Oh well you live and hopefully you learn.

The master's at hybridizing here on the forum are Craig..obviously as he has won more lily of year honors than most anyone, Sean and Lou also created some great looking hybrids. Now we just have to get them to propagate them, name them and hopefully sell them to us.

One day I will be at their level but I can be patient.

Tim

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 02:48:55 PM »
You could also try a betta.  They tolerate high temperatures, and their natural food is mosquito larvae.  And, if you get one with light or irridescent fins, they are just GORGEOUS when they swim just below the surface.

ONE male per pond, or they'll kill one another.  A male and female will breed, but you have to remove the female afterwards (the male keeps the eggs) or have enough space and shelter that she can hide until it's time to mate again.

I rotate my bettas from the house to my tub ponds outside, for a day or two at a time, to eat mosquito larvae.  Or I scoop the larvae and divide them up between the jars of fish in the house.

They're about $3 at PetSmart.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"