Author Topic: An unwanted visitor at 5:00 in the morning!  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
An unwanted visitor at 5:00 in the morning!
« on: June 19, 2007, 10:08:57 PM »
I was sleeping soundly this morning when I heard something that sounded like a cat growling and hissing.   My first thought was "Oh, no, something's after the kittens."  Our sweet little outdoor cat, Miss Kitty, had presented us with five kittens about six weeks ago.  Since they are bigger now, they have gravitated from their safe little shelter on the side of the house to the back porch.   As I was trying to force myself to wake up and get my b*tt out of bed, I heard "Yike, Yike, Yike."   Apparently whatever was after the kittens was a stray (or wandering) dog.  Miss Kitty is a small cat, but apparently she was determined enough to chase a dog away!  @O@

I finally got out of bed and went to the kitchen to turn the back light on and try to see if everyone was OK.  La Niña had heard the commotion, also, so I called her to come outside with me.  After all, a 108 lb. Great Pyrenees should be able to track down and chase off any intruding dogs...right?   &-)  I turned the light on, saw 5 kittens sleeping together in a circle on the deck, and the momma cat was coming back to the deck.  I let Niña out and she sniffed around a bit, did her thing on the grass, and looked at me like, "What are we doing out here at 5:00 in the morning, Mom?  So much for my big, bad watch dog.   {:-P;;

I guess it's up to Momma Cat to protect the kittens unless I buy some kind of cage to put them in at night.  :-\

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: An unwanted visitor at 5:00 in the morning!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 10:57:06 PM »
Miss Kitty seems like a good protective mom.... :)
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 04:13:11 AM »
Of course, don't come between a momma and her babies, of any breed.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 08:26:25 AM »
Momma to the rescue, sounds like she's tough.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 11:09:46 AM »
She IS a good momma, and very protective.  I'm just worried because she really isn't a very big cat compared to the 13 lb. Siamese I have in the house (he has no claws, tho...not my doing).  I'll feel better when the kittens are a little bigger and faster and can either run from or fight anything that comes around in the night.   :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"