Author Topic: Signs of too much fertilizer?  (Read 890 times)

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Signs of too much fertilizer?
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:45:21 PM »
Hi,

As a relative new lily grower, what are the signs of too much fertilizer? I am trying to get a handle on how much to use.

I have been using 4-6 pond tabs around a newly planted lily in about a 1.5 - 2 gallon squat pot, but just recently tried using about a tablespoon of 10-30-10 time release in the bottom of the pot with the pond tabs to see if I notice more growth or burning.

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Signs of too much fertilizer?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 05:03:54 PM »
Well, Jeff, when the plant reaches out of the pond and grabs you and then turns you upside down looking for more fertilizer, you've given it too much.

Otherwise, I've never over-fertilized, so I don't know. On lotus, it could kill them.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 05:29:44 PM »
I use tabs plus granular flower fertilizer as well as Osmocote all at the same time. I feed mine very heavy. The only time it has been a problem for me is if it a very new(think weeks old) plant. Otherwise they go crazy and bloom and bloom.

If lotus are not putting up aerial pads they can burn easily as Scott says.

I am trying a few victoria's this year as well. They are heavy feeders but while juveniles they can burn pretty easy too. I read that but still lost a few to leaves just melting away. I think overfeeding was the problem in that case.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:45:57 PM »
Yea, thank guys!

Scott- if I could find the right combination of food to get a lily to reach out of the pond, I would be set!! They could have one at every botanical garden around the world!! LOL!!!  ;D Maybe even every zoo!! Even better, have a mini lily jump' a roo at feeding times! Like gatorland!!  lol

Tim- I know about victoria's. I have tried them for three years from seed. A very long slow process. And out of the 3 times, only got several plants out into a big pond in 2004. And then, had them taken by Hurricane Jeanne. I was crushed. But have thought of trying again, I even have some amazonica seeds coming from Tailand. And have been watching a cruziana plant that enzo has on ebay with baited breath!  8-)~ I know Kit Knotts in Cocoa, and the seeds are just not sprouting for her right now, across the different crosses.

Cheers,

Jeff  8)

Offline Sandyd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:57:07 AM »
How do you get Osmocote in a already planted Lily?

I don't want to tear it all apart.  I just planted it last fall and want too give it a boost.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 11:25:23 AM »
Easy, take the toe of an old pair of nylons and fill it with Osmocoat.  Make a hole in the planter and stuff it in.  Put a rock over it!

I used a BIG CHEAP tea infuser , works good!  Idea from my DW!

The first tip came from Joyce. O0
Since i took this shot there are about 5 more arial leaves!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"