Author Topic: Went to a beautiful place (lilies and butterflies oh my...)  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Went to a beautiful place (lilies and butterflies oh my...)
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:15:13 PM »
Went to the Indianapolis Zoo & White River Gardens.  The gardens were breathtaking.  Have to keep in mind, this is getting near the end of the season for them as well as my area.  But it all was still, so beautiful.  They had 5 of these huge formal lily gardens.  There was also a gf pond, but it was kind of murky (actually green).

Then inside the greenhouse they had all the butterflies and tropicals etc.  I'm hoping to go there again sometime earlier in the year.  Would love to see the gardens in all there glory.  We had planned to go earlier this year, then it was so hot and then there was the snipper on 65 issue.  I'm just glad we got to the gardens when we did, the lilies were about to close up for the day.

I didn't even know that they had them.  I was wondering around in the gardens and  saw a reflection, I thought I went to heaven for moment.... o(:-).  Oh yeah, the Zoo was great too, especially the dolphins.

Hope you enjoy!

(click on link)----> http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/KyKim/Indianapolis%20Zoo%20and%20White%20River%20Gardens%209-3-06/

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Went to a beautiful place (lilies and butterflies oh my...)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 04:16:26 AM »
Kim, looks BEAUTIFUL! Great pix! O0
I see they have Amazon Lilies too!
I hope you frame that photo of your daughter! (8:-)

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline mcp

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 06:20:18 AM »
Kim, The gardens are absolutely gorgeous. Love all the beautiful flowers and Lillies. Would love to have an Amazon. I agree with Joyce the picture of your Daughter should be framed. Thanks for sharing. O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:29:20 AM »
Simply gorgeous!  I was going to ask what those enormous leaves were, I assume those are the amazon lilies?  Wow!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:11:48 PM »
Kim,
I love White River Gardens.  o(:-)  I didn't get a chance to go this summer.  Enjoyed looking at your pics.  The butterfly exhibit is wonderful, I could stay all day!  I also like the little train that runs through the gardens, and the frog spitters.  My favorite thing at the zoo is the polar bear.  My only disappointment is that I have never seen any fish in their ponds.  :(  Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit, did you happen to go to the Children's Museum?
Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 03:49:21 AM »
Karen,  We didn't go to the Children's Museum, didn't know it was there.  Guess we'll have get that next time. 

They actually had some fish in there pond.  But I think they could use some tips from the forum on clearing the water so you could see them.  They were having a wedding rehersal in the gardens, that would be a beautiful wedding background.

Joyce, barb, mcp.....glad you enjoyed the pics.  I can't wait to back next year, hopefully.  But I keep hearing people say we should see the St. Louis Zoo.

Kim

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 05:33:07 AM »
Kim,
The Children's Museum is great too.  It's the largest one in the world!  Our kids are grown now and we haven't been for a long time.  I want to go soon to see the new glass exhibit by Dale Chihuly.  They have a dinosaur exhibit that everyone says is worth the trip too.  The nice thing is that everything is "hand's on".  I have friends that homeschool and they spend a lot of time there.  Here's the link:  http://www.childrensmuseum.org/
Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 07:49:40 PM »
Thanks Karen for the link.  Looks like one of our adventure weekends.  I told my dh, I'm tired of sitting here all the time.  The kids deserve to go places, I put it to him like this.  You can either go with us or stay at home, but were going!

Kim

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 07:25:50 PM »
hi kim, thanks for the tour, really spectacular.

lou

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 08:41:24 AM »
Kim, great pics. Your daughter looks exactly like you.

I'd someday like to try one of those basket-weave knot garden things. They are very cool.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"