Author Topic: OK...I didn't want to talk about this when it happened...  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
OK...I didn't want to talk about this when it happened...
« on: June 21, 2007, 10:19:05 PM »
but about a week (week and 1/2?) after my RES escaped, we had another overnight downpour of about 4"-5" inches and the other one left, too.  I had just fed him the day before and checked the water level and I'll swear it was at least 4 or 5 inches below the top of the tub.  The next morning, the tub was overflowing and my second RES was nowhere in sight.   I think someone up there decided it was time for me to release them...both.   :(

I feel a little strange because I am no longer a turtle owner after all this time.  Oh, well, maybe I'll find another one to raise someday.   ;)

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: OK...I didn't want to talk about this when it happened...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 05:43:07 AM »
Sorry to hear about your escapee..... Hopefully you will find another and have better look with keeping him around  :)
Joey

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 07:39:02 AM »
Maybe it will find water near by.  here there is little chance they would survive.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 10:00:24 AM »
Awww, dag gone it.  I know you liked your RES very much.  Like the others have said, maybe you will find another one day to raise.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Sandye

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 11:26:26 AM »
Joey, I've had them for six years, since the day they were born.  We just haven't had the kind of rain that we've had this year...which allowed them to get out of their tub.  Ungrateful little guys.   ;D   I originally intended to release them when they were big enough to survive and then got attached to them.

Jerry, I'm sure he and his escapee brother will be all right because there are two farm ponds close by, and they will probably return to one of them.  They're going to have to find their own food, tho...rather than having it given to them every day.

Thanks, Kim!  o(:-) Like I said, it just feels a little strange not to have them around any more.   :-\

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 07:21:21 PM »
Sandye, was your tub above ground? I'm thinking that you could drill holes 5" below the top of the tub (at water level), and that would keep any extra water from allowing them to escape... but alas, it's too late now. I hope they have a happy life. And if they don't, perhaps they will come back to you.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Sandye

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2007, 10:21:03 PM »
Karen, I thought about that, too...after it happened.   {:-P;;   We just haven't been having much rain the last few years, and the tub overflowing overnight never really occurred to me.   ::)   I've had to dump out excess water before, but not very often.  Believe me, if I ever have a RES outside in a tub again, it will have some overflow holes.

I don't really think they'll come back.  Turtles are a bit like snakes, in that they don't have a lot of brainpower/loyalty/attachment to their keepers.  One of them used to pop his head up begging for food, but that was about the extent of it.  I enjoyed them while I had them, but now I just hope they manage to find their own food after all this time.   I think/hope their instincts will kick in and they will be OK.   :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 12:47:39 PM »
Oh no, so sorry. I'm sure their instincts will kick in and they will find the farm ponds and catch food just fine.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"