Author Topic: Help! Nasty, slimy pea soup lily pond water  (Read 1020 times)

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Help! Nasty, slimy pea soup lily pond water
« on: June 22, 2007, 03:00:27 PM »
 :cry: I did (I think) everything I was supposed too with my kiddie pool lily pond. I put it together maybe a week or so ago (?), and I just can't keep the algae at bay. (I put in the oxygenator plants and a few feeder fish, and planted the lillies as Timgod suggested.) I even resorted to a chemical algae remover a few days ago, but it's as slimy as ever. Today I finally couldn't take it anymore and stuck the hose in there to flush it out. It looks a little better, and I added more algae remover. Any suggestions to helping keep the water clearer would be GREATLY appreciated......

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Nasty, slimy pea soup lily pond water
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »
My 500 gallon lily tank with no movement or filteration is clear to the bottom.  My 700 gallon tank with two pumps a skippy type filter and a TT is green as can be. 

I did put some aged filter media in the lily pond.  Maybe that helped.  I also water the pots out of it so I do small water changes nearly daily.  Hang in there...it should clear.

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 07:48:37 AM »
It needs time.  You just put the system together a week ago and it's going to take a couple weeks to balance itself.

No more water changes...you're just adding fuel (nutrients) to the fire.

No more algaecide...it's hard on your plants.

Things you can do...

Add more oxygenators.  Some floaters like hyacinths and lettuce will help, too.

You could try any of the many bacteria products.

Most of all...just be patient! :)
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 08:37:43 AM »
i have to agree with Josh. BE PATIENT!!!

green pea soup can take awhile to clear up even with a proper filtration system.  and changing out the water at this point is only making things worse - not better. if you have an already established water feature of any kind that has reached clear water state, then move something from there to the new pond. the beneficial bacteria that help do not just live in the filter, they are present thoughout a pond. this will help jump start the new pond a bit. but still, don't expect overnight results. it may take a month or longer. but it must go thru the process. there are worse things that can happen to your pond than a little green water. we've all had it at one point or another. even natural water features get it. just hang in there. it shouldn't effect the growth of the plants you have in there. at least not nearly as much as adding algaecide!!

and until the pond has established itself, the fish are also not helping. at this point they are simply supplying more nutrients to the algae.  you might want to move them for now and use mosquito dunks if you are worried about mosquitos in your area.
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 09:29:33 AM »
Okay, okay... I will not add anymore algae remover. :redface: Patience has never been a strong point for me.
Both of my ponds have beautiful, clear water, so the pool was irritating me pretty bad. The fish were for skeeters (which can get bad here), but I only saw one (a rosie) today in that mess. I'm not sure if I can catch him, but I'll try. I do have some skeeter tabs, so I'll just drop one of those in there. I put some floating plants from the other ponds in, and added plenty of oxygenators when I set it up. Also put in a small solar powered fountain which circulates for about 5 hours a day. I think I still have some of the powder-type beneficial bacteria left, I will go look for it.

Thanks for the insight, I will try to be more patient!  :angel:
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 10:10:48 AM »
I agree with the rest of them, give it time and it will clear.  One day it will still be green, then you'll walk out and be able to see the bottle the next.  When it reaches its balance things just happen so fast.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 04:08:40 PM »
I agree, changing the water only makes it worse and algaecides will kill your fish and waterlilies.
Patience, patience, patience!!!!!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"