Author Topic: Where ya from?  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Where ya from?
« on: June 26, 2007, 04:48:15 AM »
As much as I hate to admit it, I have watched a few episodes of "Designing Women" Sometimes the wife has the remote.

In one episode, the "women" were at a snooty upscale party and one asked a social climber, "Where are ya'll from?"

She looked down her nose and said, "We are  from a place where we don't end our sentences with a preposition."

Without missing a beat she then asked, "Where are ya'll from, b*tch?"

I like to hear of peoples lineage and backgrounds. Are you related to anyone famous or infamous? I'll start.

My father left La Coruna,Spain at a very young age tucked under the wing of a man named Juan. He was maybe 14 and became an oiler on a tanker for Socony Vaccuum which later became Mobil Oil. They let kids do this around the turn of the century.

He learned to read and write english and then the wars started. The merchant marines were commisioned by the navy during the wars to sail much needed oil to the troops. He rose in rank to Lt. Commander from a boy of 14 who didn't even speak english. I'm still in awe of that.

World war one, two and Korea came and went under his service. He was on the first merchant vessel, the "Rochester" that was sunk steaming out of New York during WW2. His ship was torpedoed and then shelled. He spent several days in the water clinging to flotsam before being rescued.

We never could get him back in the water again after that. A man of few words, he simply said, "I've swam enough."

On a return voyage to Spain with Juan, he met Juan's daughter Antionette, 20 years younger than he was and fell in love. They were married and that was my mother. They had 3 girls and then I was born.

They forged his papers several times so that he could continue to work past the retirement age so we really don't know how old he was, but he was at least 63 when I was born. He died when I was 12.

So, I'm a full blooded Cocky Spaniard allthough I have no papers other than a birth certificate.

I married a half Mexican half Cherokee indian and had three kids and now have 5 grandkids and live in Southeast Texas.

So... "Where are ya'll from?" Tell me about your ancestors.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Where ya from?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 08:08:49 AM »
I'd like to add something interesting to this but from what I know, my grandfather on my dad's side came from Sweden. One of the family traced him back to the town where he came from and learned that the town hall had burned and all the records were lost.

My grandfather on my mother's side came from Scottland. I remember seeing a picture of my great grandfather whom I never met, playing the bagpipes.

I don't know anything about my grandmothers. Guess I'd better ask some questions seeing my mom is gone and my dad still here.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 09:38:22 AM »
I know very little about my mothers side of the family. They came from the hills of Kentucky so there is very little record beyond my own parents. They were genuine "hillbillies."  :) My grandmothers family name was Wilson. I had always been told she was related in some fashion to President Woodrow Wilson but I'm not sure if that was really the case. She always claimed he was a distant cousion and she could name of the line of relatives accordingly but who knows. My grandparents came to Colorado in 1918, first to Colorado Springs and then they moved to the western slope of Colorado and homesteaded in the mountains. They farmed and raised sheep until my grandfather's health forced them to move into town in the mid 1940's. He passed away in 1955. My mother was one of their 11 children.

On my father's side of the family, my grandmother's family came from an English and Welsh background. My grandfather's family name was Morrison. They were Scottish and Irish. It was always my understanding that we were related to John Wayne somewhere along the line as his real name was Morrison. One of my aunts researched all of the family on the Morrison side and she has all the records and information she found. My great-grandparents and my newlywed grandparents moved here in 1912 from Missouri. They had orchards until 1965 when my grandfather and his brother inlaw retired and sold out.

My mom and dad married in 1942. I was born in 1958, their only child. We've never moved from the county here where my grandparents originally settled.  All my grandparents are now gone. So are all my aunts and uncles. The only one left on either side of the family is my dad who is 84. I have maybe a half dozen distant cousins but I have no idea where they are and wouldn't know them if I passed them on the street.  ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 09:15:14 PM »
Wow Bullfrog, that's a hard act to follow. All I know is my mom is from Arkansas and my great grandmother was full blooded Chierikee(sp) she married a white man and had my grandmother. My great granny lived to be 103 but my grand mother died much younger. My dad was born and raised on the clearwater river in Wash. And clames to be a hines 57. He was in the Navey and met my mom in California where she was then living. I was raised mostly on the Olimpic poninsulla(sp) and Alaska. I have 2 brothers and one sis.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 04:29:42 AM »
My paternal great-grandfather (Wilhelm Zaier) brought his wife and family here from Germany in the early 1900's. The original sir name was Von Zwickelmaier, which he shortened to Zaier shortly after settling in MI. He was a builder who played a key role in the development of Jackson, MI. My grandfather, Wilhelm's son, married my grandmother who was from Sweden. On my maternal side, my great-grandfather was supposedly a direct desendent of David Crockett and my great-grandmother's ancestors migrated here from Spain (her maiden name was "Spain"). I have no way to verify maternal side- just remember the old aunt's sitting on rocking chairs on the porch talking about it when I was very young (all are gone now). But I have documents and pictures of father's side. Quite a Heinz 57 combination, huh?  ;)

My DH is related to Tina Turner....  lol

Everyone has some pretty interesting stories!

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 07:14:03 AM »
Yeah, that was a tough act to follow!

When I was a child (well, 'was' is subjective), we got a chance to see the family tree that my great grandfather had put together.  Upon tracing our roots back, we saw that an ancestor on my father's side was one of the 104 passengers on the Mayflower that came to Plymouth Colony, Mass, in 1620.  Of course, I can't remember the name, but it wasn't the same as mine.  I thought it was pretty kewl to see that far back...over 300 years of ancestry at the time.

My great grandfather was a pretty incredible man, the story was told that he never missed a day of school or a day of work, and walked 5 miles to school each way (most likely uphill with snow up to here both directions).  They also said that he was never sick a day in his life, I'm not sure how old he was when he passed away.

As for anything that my family has done that is significant? Well....not yet, but I'm still young!  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 02:13:50 PM »
Well, I was Irish until I was 12  ;D  My dad thought of himself as the ultimate 'black Irishman', he had black hair and blue eyes and he loved to tell stories and talk.  He always had a lot of friends and was really sociable.  Then, when he was in his early 40's and I was about 12, his aunt sent him all of her genealogy papers because she had no children and wanted me to have them.  She was big in the DAR, the DOC (Daughters of the Confederacy) and Eastern Star.  So, it turned out that she had traced his family back to Ireland but they (2 brothers and their wives) had sailed to the new world as Quakers with William Penn. They didn't stay Quakers though, their descendants were read out of the Meeting for fighting in the Revolutionary war. The brothers had gone to Ireland and stayed for 10 years waiting for the boat but they were all English, all the way back into the mists. 

My dad went into a big funk, it kind of took away the base of his personality for a couple weeks.  I remember him coming home from work and just reading the paper, no jokes and no stories.  My mom told me to just leave him alone, he'd get over it.  He did, he went back to his old personality but he didn't make reference to being Irish anymore.  It was kind of sad.  My mom's family was solid English back to the Revolution as well, I think she got a kick out of what happened to my dad.

Both my parents were from the south, my dad from north Louisiana and my mom from southern Arkansas.  I've always been rather grateful to WWII as my dad was stationed in California and I was born in Santa Barbara.  He had a job offer and they stayed there when he got out of the service.  He was in the Coast Guard and, of course, he had a funny story about that.  He said he decided to join the Coast Guard before he got drafted so he could go guard the coast of New Orleans!  Instead, they sent him to the Pacific and he ended up having 2 ships shot out from under him.  He also said he had worked at a radio station as a DJ so when they asked him he told them he was a radioman.  He said he stayed up all night before the test learning the morse code and passed it.   

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
Lots of interesting history here. I really find it fascinating when I hear of peoples ancestors. Even if they were just Coonasses fishing the swamps of Louisiana. Our parents and grandparents had a tough row to how and they did it with no government assistance, never whining, complaining or asking someone else to work for them and give them money or food, there was no such assistance.

After my father died when I was 12, we only recieved $49.00 per month in Social Security as long as I was in school. My mom was not entitled to any veterans benefits because he was a merchant marine and not actually in the navy. Nevermind the fact that he was on three ships that were torpedoed and one sank.

$49.00 a month wouldn't even pay the utilities, even back then and I don't know how my mom did it, but we made it even though we were extremely poor. At 17, I quit school and I got a job at a shipyard as a shipfitters apprentice and started bring in some money, we could eat something besides beans and rice.

Then old dumb me, I fell in love and got married and got my wife pregnant. Now, it was me, my wife, my new son, my mother and sister trying to live off of $6.75 per hour. We had food at home but I couldn't afford lunch at work every day.

I had to hunt rabbits in the swamp every night after work if I wanted to eat lunch every day. Once, and this was in 1976 I was eating my fried rabbit in a machine shop that I worked in. A transplanted Yankee asked me, "What is that, chicken?"

"No, it's rabbit." I told him.

"You eat good every day." He said as he chewed his sandwich.

"You should have been with me, looking for him last night, it was really cold and raining." I told him.

After explaining my situation to him, he couldn't believe that, "In this day and age, that people still hunted for food."

Every time I went to the tool room he began to sing the "Beverly Hillbilly's" Theme song.

"And then one day he was shootin at some foood, and up from the ground came a bubblin crude."

A man has to do what a man has to do. I still remember those nights that I was hunting for my lunch though. Some nights I got two and could take a night off.

Other nights there was nothing moving and I went hungry. Tell this to kids today and watch their face. Only your kids really appreciate it. I can only imagine the struggles of my father and mother with nobody to fall back on, trying to put food on the table.

Facing the prejudice that the Irish, Hispanics, Italians and all others faced while trying to carve out a small piece of this American pie for their wife and kids. It was a long struggle that they faced. No welfare, no government checks, no food stamps.

They were truly made of tough stuff, our ancestors.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 06:34:31 PM »
I will be very brief.  I was born In Philadelphia, but conceived in Monterrey Mexico.  My father came from Russia and had to wait years to get into America.  My Mother preceded him and went to Mexico from Philly by train.  After i was born we went Back to Guadalajara by train to be with my Father.  I lived there until I was almost three.  Bullfrog, talk about needing a Dad.
I never saw my Father again untill I was 20  [/b] [/i] No ,I don't remember Mexico .

I just read "Einstein"  FDR offered a special act of Congress to make him a citizen, He declined and opted for the traditional way  he Had to leave the country and re enter from Bermuda and wait 5 years to become a citizen of this great country. he took the exams too, bet he aced them!
He left a mentally deranged son behind and never saw him again.  He never left these shores.

Times have changed!  My family as well as Einstein came here to be AMERICANS ! O0
Times have changed! :'(
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 02:38:00 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 07:45:29 PM »
My mother always told us of "the great melting pot" in America.  She said we were the
scum" off that pot.  She was just jokeing...but we haven't a clue about out geonology even though my oldest sister has done some research.  There are just too many dead ends.

My fathers mother was born in Lee County Texas about 15 miles from where she raised her family of 7 boys.  They raised vegetables and sold door to door out of a wagon to support their parents and themselves.  She always said she was part Indian and she looked it.  Her maiden name was Morrison.  The story goes than my greatgrandpa was a slave master (not owner) on a large plantation and came to Texas during the Civil War.   Daddy quit school to join the Marines and go to Japan during WWII.

My mothers father was born and raised in Milam county where my parents have lived all their lives.  Mother graduated High School and she and Daddy got married when he came home from Japan.  They live about 3 blocks from where Daddy was raised.  They have been married 61 years and raised 6 children.

We are from a long line of hardworking folk that just keep on working.  My son graduated from Texas Tech with a mechanical engineering degree.  He was the second on my side of the family to graduate college.  Several more of my neices and nephews have graduated college also. 

Maybe the fourth generation that I know won't have to work so hard.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 08:55:23 PM »
lol I love this thread... okay here goes mine.. I am a  heinz  57 variety .....

I was born in those "HILLS" of Ky, rural appalacian at its best.   My grandmother was a full blooded cherokee from North Carolina so I guess I am part "barefoot and pregant/hillbilly" and scalpum indian :)

My fathers side is irish... geesh dont know how that would mix in... a green eyed barefoot, backwoods indian???? 

tinkster

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 09:36:12 AM »
Hey Tink, we may be related........ :D

I was born in Long Beach, CA and after age seven I was raised by two sets of foster parents (long story) in the Inland Empire (Riverside and Yucaipa).  I eventually married and returned to Long Beach where I worked until retirement in 2004.  Because I was raised without my biological parents I had no known relatives/ancestry on either side.  Determined to find my relatives, in 1998 the fetching Mrs. Mikey posted a note on an Internet ancestry site listing the names of my father and mother.  In 1999 she received an e-mail from someone in North Carolina who recognized the name of my father.  After several more communications they were able to confirm that my father was born in Murphy, N.C. in Cherokee County and I in fact had a number of cousins who live in Georgia, Florida, N.C., Maryland and Connecticut.  My father had written to my grandmother occasionally and thus my cousins knew my dad had two sons and they had been trying for a number of years to locate me and my brother.  They say my grandmother was broken hearted that she never got to meet us.  I have since gone back four times and visited with my new family and I keep in regular phone contact with them.  I still don't know anything about my mother's side.

When I first established contact with my cousins I was told that a 2nd cousin had become successful in television as a sportscaster.  I was told the name but I didn't recognize it and I assumed he must work for a local T.V. channel on the East Coast.  I was then embarrassed to learn he was a network sportscaster for CBS but because I don't follow golf or college football I was not familiar with him.  I've since met him a couple of times and he's every bit as down to earth as he is on T.V.

The fetching one is still tracking down my lineage and this last May we again were in North Carolina and found our way to a grave site just inside Georgia where my great grandfather was buried.  Here I am with with grampa Jacob Tilson.

We are already causing controversy in the family because my cousins all thought that great grampa Jacob fought for the South.  However the fetching one, who loves digging into stuff like this, has determined that the 5th Tennessee Mounted Infantry fought for the North....not the South....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 05:33:48 PM »
Mikey, that is just too cool. The 5th Tennessee Mounted Infantry, who knows what he saw and lived through? Don't you wish that you had his journal?

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 05:56:37 PM »
That's great stuff Mikey, Thanks for sharing everyone, This is a great thread. Thanks again Bull forg.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 09:06:27 PM »
Both of my sets of grandparents (of which I never knew either set) were immigrants from Holland.  My dad was born in ND but at 6 weeks of age his parents moved him and the family to Oak Harbor, WA on Whidbey Island in the San Juans.  My mom was born in Oak Harbor of immigrant parents.  My mom's mom died when she was quite young and she lived with relatives as a uh... ok not a slave girl, but wasn't treated very nicely from what I understand.  They married and had 5 children in Oak Harbor and moved the family to the north end of Seattle in 1952.  I was born in 1957 7 years after my next oldest sibling..I think I was an afterthought or an oops  :o 

So I'm a full dutch blood..and you can tell a dutchman..but you can tell him much!
Mary

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 10:43:13 PM »
Both of my sets of grandparents (of which I never knew either set) were immigrants from Holland.
Have you ever learned why they immigrated here?  The older I get the more I enjoy learning about my past

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 01:11:03 PM »
Mike I assume as the many who immigrated back then..a better life was offered in the US than in their native country.  My dad was born in 1911.  When his parents immigrated in I don't know for sure.
Mary

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 07:38:33 PM »
Mikey, that sportcaster cousin, was his name Craig Bestrom?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 06:23:29 AM by Esther »

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 12:04:24 PM »
Esther: My sportscaster cousin is Jim Nantz.  He does a lot of the CBS golf sportscasting plus college football and some other stuff as well.  We usually plan family reunions around his work schedule.  The last couple of reunions were in Charlotte, NC where Jimmy did the Wackovia Golf Championship.  He invited us up into the tower on the 18th hole where his broadcast studio is located.  I found it amusing that he actually sits with his back to the green, facing the cameras and numerous TV monitors while announcing the game......

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 06:26:52 PM »
Sure Mike, prosecution , revolution, pogroms and more.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 07:05:03 PM »
What a great thread, very interesting learning about your heritage. 

Bullfrog, a question...you popped that guy I hope, I thought I could hear you shaking up your can of "whoop-ass" in that story!   lol   Man, what a jerk!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 10:13:30 PM »
Very interesting thread.  My father's side of the family can really only be traced back as far as my grandfather.  He and his two brothers were brought to Kansas on an orphan train that came from the Chicago Fire.  They were adopted by Lily Walker, a single lady in SE KS who needed help on her farm.  They said the brothers' name was originally German, but nobody knows for sure what the name was.  My grandfather died in a coal mine collapse just before I was born, so I never got to meet him. 

I had never heard of an orphan train before I heard this story.  After looking it up, I discovered they used to send trains of orphans from New York and other citys (and apparently after the big Chicago fire) across the plains states and just give them to anyone along the way who wanted to give them a home.  Apparently, they just lined them up and people chose the children (or child) that they wanted. 

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2007, 03:30:33 AM »
What a great thread, very interesting learning about your heritage. 

Bullfrog, a question...you popped that guy I hope, I thought I could hear you shaking up your can of "whoop-ass" in that story!   lol   Man, what a jerk!

Actually, after stomping the swamps of Southeast Texas every night hunting rabbits that would have been like slapping a little kid, he was no threat. I was a pretty good sport about my poverty once I aged a little. It made me humble and gave me an insight to what really matters in a person. It's not what they wear on their back or thier finger, but what they wear in their heart.

There was a horse stable behind my house that people could rent stalls to keep their horses in. There was a large corrall and plenty of room to ride on the hill. Chickens, ducks, goats, you get the picture.

I spent a lot of my youth there and got to ride the horses. There was an old black man named Dan who did the maintenance there. He lived in a camper shell on a pickup that hadn't ran since he parked it there.

My dad was gone to sea for the first five years of my life and then absent in the bars thereafter. Dan took me under his wing and taught me a lot about the woods and nature.

His meager salary bought him staples, bread, salt, flour and a can of Bugler rolling tobacco. Everything that he ate came out of the swamps and I was his eager student following on his heels. He hunted, fished and trapped for his food.

He always had a coon skin nailed to the barn wall salted down and sold the pelts. He taught me to stalk, fish and clean my game. Being born the only dark skinned kid in an all white neighborhood I tasted prejudice at an early age so it didn't matter to me that he was black, we bonded.

Everyone at the stables openly insulted him and looked down on him because he was black, this was the early 60's in deep Texas. He taught me well, "Don't pay them no mind and don't let their words hurt ya none, God don't see color, he looks inside, they is ignorant" He took their insults with a silent grace and dignity, I respected him.

I spent a lot of time with Dan as I could relate to him. The kids at my school made fun of me because I was dark and poor, so was he. But even with his lack of formal education, Dan had a lot more decency and common sence than the "educated" other men that I ran into.

Even to this day, if he was still here, I wouldn't hesitate to leave my young granddaughter in his care.

I remember him teaching me how to catch catfish. He had a way with words and was very patient teaching a young boy. Sitting beside him, a catfish pecked at my line and he coached me like this.

"Lissen son (that word mean't a lot to me, as I needed a Dad), ole catfish, he ain't got no hands. He ain't got no fingers. like you an me. He gonna smell it... bite it... taste it and f*ck with it some. When he get ready, he gonna swallow it up to his a**hole and den swim off. Dat's when ya set de hook." It worked every time.

I looked up to Dan as a Father, friend and mentor. He lived off of the land and knew so much. He taught me to move when the wind blew, so the game that you were stalking couldn't hear you. He taught me how to clean my catch so you could cook and eat it.

Little did I know that I would need these skills much later in life when I was hunting rabbits for my lunch at the age of 23. That is one of the truly amazing things about God is that he lays things like this at your feet many years in advance, knowing that you would someday need these skills just to eat lunch?

Looking back, isn't it really amazing that he sent this man into my life to teach me these things? Talk about timing.

Dan taught me a lot about the woods and nature, it was his classroom. But he taught me more than that. He taught me that the true color of a man goes a lot deeper than his skin which is a lesson that some never learn and one that really matters.

"Don't pay them no mind and don't let their words hurt ya none, God don't see color, he looks inside, they is ignorant"

Those words echo even today. Without a formal education, Dan was a major influence on my life and taught me the lessons that carried a lifetime, one of the best people that I have ever had the priveledge of meeting.

So, maybe our heritage can't be traced back that far. Maybe we will never know who our great grandfather was or where he came from. Still, there are people in our past that left footprints on our heart and soul, and they are our lineage. People that taught us lessons that really mattered. Surrogate grandfaters or Dads, they matter too and I want to hear about them also.

Was there someone who made a major difference in your life? I find it curious that a man who had and still has my ultimate respect, was a man that most looked down upon and never gave a second glance. They didn't know what they missed.

I never knew Dan's last name, when he died or where he is buried. But in my heart I know that Dan raised another son and taught him well.

So.. where ya from?

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2007, 03:42:38 AM »
I had never heard of an orphan train before I heard this story.  After looking it up, I discovered they used to send trains of orphans from New York and other citys (and apparently after the big Chicago fire) across the plains states and just give them to anyone along the way who wanted to give them a home.  Apparently, they just lined them up and people chose the children (or child) that they wanted. 

This is a really interesting concept, fascinating actually. How would you choose your child? I guess according to your needs.

Need a worker? Pick the biggest, strongest one. Want a son or daughter? Pick the prettiest. I hate to say it but it's almost like going to pick a puppy as you would be going by only looks which can really be deceiving.

Still I am glad that these kids that lost everything had a chance at a home. Imagine what they went through, thought and felt as they were lined up and hoped that they were picked.

More so, picked for the right reason. For love and not labor.

What a world. I wonder if we are not in worse shape now, when people adopt just to get another check from the government which didn't exsist then.

I never knew that this exsisted.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 05:25:55 AM »
Wow, Bullfrog, if we had a smiley that "bowed" I would use it for you and Dan.  What an incredible man, I would loved to have met him... o(:-)  and looks like he did a good job in raising another son!  Congratulations, you had a wonderful father...
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 12:05:43 PM »
Oh dear Bullfrog, that is an amazzing story and how wonderfull it is! Thank you so much for sharing it. I don't know how anyone could top it.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 01:28:32 PM »
What an outstanding post that was, it touched me and gave me goosebumps.  Your honoring Dan is the most fitting tribute to him and I'm sure that he would be very, very proud of who you have become.  I give you credit as well, it takes a big heart and an open mind to take the lessons that come our way in so many different forms.  You gained a father and a million valuable lessons on life and living, Dan gained a son worth teaching.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 10:40:58 AM »
What fascinating histories!

On my father's side of the family our first ancestor, Mathieu Agee came to America to Virginia in 1700 on the ship Mary and Ann, he was French.  He was of the Aristocracy, and the French king at the time insisted all Aristocracy embrace Catholicism, which he refused to do.  And so the French government confiscated his lands and claim to nobility. My ancestor was a "Huguenot".  He became a prominent citizen and landowner in Manakintowne, Virginia.  Throughout the following centuries my family also consisted of Scottish, English, Irish, and even some Cherokee Indian.  One of my relatives wrote a hardcover book on our family, which I have a copy of, and my father has spent most of his life doing further research.  I know quite a bit about my family thanks to them.   8)

Btw, there is no one left in my family who has any prominence as far as I know.  Most of them were just poor farmers.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:47:06 AM by barb »

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 11:06:07 AM »
Bullfrog...what a great story.  It reminds me of a couple who lived upstairs from us who coudln't have kids but treated me and my siblings as if we were their own...sometimes better.  James loved talking with us kids and letting us hang out while he worked on his car or truck, and even took us to the basketball court one day (which pissed off my father).  Yvonne was super nice to us as well, and I always thought it was sad that my father was such a closet bigot...he'd drink a couple beers with James but as soon as he left he'd call him names.

And your story about hunting for meals....makes my story of becoming a "mother of 3" at twelve years old pale in comparison.  Yeah, I'll explain that one: my parents separated and I spent about 5 years caring for my 3 younger siblings (ages 2, 6 and 8) doing the whole "mr. mom" thing: cooking, cleaning, changing diapers, etc.  At least my meals were already in a package!  lol

Great story about Dan, I'm sure he knows how you feel.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 03:55:54 AM »
Barb and Blind Too, I'm really loving this. I like hearing about where people came from and the others that influenced and touched their lives.

Barb, your relative had a lot of conviction to stand up to the French Government at the loss of his land and title. I told you that our ancestors were made of tough stuff.

Blind, were James and Yvonne of a different race? The fact that your father called him names made me think so. Don't slight the fact that you helped raise your siblings at such a young age, thats a lot of weight on young shoulders.

I never knew that I was any different. My mother always made me feel special and showered me with love and affection. It was a major culture shock when I entered school and found out that I was the only and the darkest one in the class. That had never mattered before, why should it have mattered then?

In the first grade a boy held his arm next to mine and said"You look like a (insert the N word here)" They all laughed. As I started visiting my young friends at home, I noticed the stares of the parents. Spaniards (they all thought that I was Mexican, like that matters)weren't exactly welcome and they thought "there goes the neighborhood"

When the other kids went to the kitchen for a drink of water, no big deal. When I went they would get up and watch me like I was gonna steal their forks or something.

One day, the reality came home to roost. I had a friend named Jay and we would make boats to sail down the ditch when it rained. One day I went to his house and he ran out to meet me at the end of the driveway. His father was working under the hood of his car and he was shooting nervous glaces at him, he was afraid.

"You have to go. You can't come here anymore." he told me.

"Why, what did I do?" I asked.

"You are a Mexican." he said.

"Whats a Mexican?" I asked.

"I don't know, but you are one, now go before I get into trouble."

My mother saw the look on my face, she read me like a book. She asked me what was wrong and I told her. She realized that I had just tasted prejudice for the first time. She explained to me that we were different because we came from somewhere else and were darker and that some people didn't like or trust us for that. I didn't understand it, but accepted it.

She told me that it was OK, that Jay could come here and play. That made it a little better. Still, in 1961 it was an uphill battle just to be accepted. There were a few really good parents that actually treated me the same and I remember them to this day.

C'mon now, we have a lot of members on this forum and a lot more history here. I want to hear more from you. We have Frenchmen, Swedes, Hillbillies and Indians. We have jokers, smokers and midnight tokers. Tell me about your past.

So.. where ya from?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"