Author Topic: Almost a pond disaster today  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Almost a pond disaster today
« on: June 27, 2007, 07:58:35 PM »
I had an outside jazz band gig that I had to drive to right after work today about 60 miles away.  I had just enough time to get home, get my horns, say goodbye to my wife and get on the road.  I wore my gig clothes (black polo shirt and black pants) to work.

My wife came out to me and said "Your pond is empty!".  She had been gone all day and our daughter was at work all day.

Sure enough most of the water was gone - about 9" left in the deep end, none in the shallow end where the pumps are.  Most of the water hyacinthes were dried out, lilies and other plants looked OK.  After a quick investigation, I found that the flextube (drainplug in the end) attached to the stock tank popped off. 

I reattached the flextube, had my wife get the hose going, added alot of dechlorinator, sprayed down the plants, put water in the stock tank filter and pond from my two waterlily stock tanks.  After about 5 minutes the pump started pumping, waterfall going, fish looked OK (but freaked out I'm sure).  All of that dressed in black in full sun and 93 degrees - great . . .

Had my wife set the stove timer for 1 1/2 hours and asked her to check on the pond then. I sure didn't want to overflow the pond.  I called her when I got to my gig to remind her not to overflow the pond (she didn't).

Said goodbye to my wife, hit the road, made it to my gig in time.

Rough last few days - this, drunk driver ran into our duplex early Saturday morning, power was off at work Monday--refrigerator defrosted, water all over the floor - gig tonight was outside under a small gazebo held with lightning storms all around us.

Hope my fish (hundreds of dollars of midnight shubunkins included) are OK.  I'm glad I hadn't put the five nicest midnight shubunkin babies (4" long) from last year inside
the pond yet - still inside in a 55-gallon aquarium.

If I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all . . .
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: Almost a pond disaster today
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 08:12:22 PM »
So glad it worked out for you. I've run into that disaster myself. It always happens when you are leaving and have no time to fix it.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 08:13:36 PM »
I'm sorry for all your troubles.  Hope your pond revives to its former self.  It's your midnight shubs that prompted me to write.  Hope they're ok too even if they aren't the nice ones.  ;)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 08:18:58 PM »
They look awfully nice to me. WoW!!! Dave. Just think it could of been worse. The pumps might not of started. You could of been out of dechlor. The fish could of been dead.

They say troubles come in 3's. Sounds like you're done now.  O0 It was stinking hot today wasn't it?  UGH!!!!! We had 2 rounds of storms tonight with another on it's way in an hour or so.  >:(-

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 09:18:17 PM »
Geeesh, glad you got it filled back up in time and made it to your gig too.  What a day you had, may tomorrow be a much better day.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 09:34:13 PM »
Yikes!!  I hope your problems are over, Dave.  You've certainly had more than your share lately.  I'm glad you put water in the pond and in the stock tank filter from your waterlily tanks, because your biggest problem now might be an algae bloom from the extreme water change.  Do you have any beneficial bacteria that you can put in there as well?

I know the sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach from seeing an almost empty pond.  Mine went down to just a few inches because the two pipes that feed the waterfall got stopped up and the stock tank was overflowing.  It worked just about the same as your drainplug being loose...the pump was emptying the pond very efficiently.   >:(- 

I hope your fish weren't too stressed and that your plants recover.   :)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 11:36:54 PM »
Yikes is right!! I hope things start going right for you Dave, you've certainly had more than your share of adversity.  You seem to be dealing with it all well though, I like your outlook. 

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 03:29:07 AM »
MAYBE you should look at it like how LUCKY am I? I almost lost all my fish and plants! You could have had a heron stop by for really easy pickins too!

Drunk driver could have killed someone!! A drunk driver plowed right through my niehgbors living room a few years ago!! Apparently didn't SEE the house in front of him!! Duh!!!

A man was killed on the golf course here yesterday during a thunderstorm, took cover under a tree and was struck by lightning.

; Smile! It's a new day!!! (thank GOD!)
Kathy

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 05:26:25 AM »
Glad things weren't any worse.

Just a reminder to those without an automatic shutoff float valve. Not only does it protect your fish etc, but it saves a lot of water, and saves your pump from potentially burning up. There are pumps with the float built in or you can get a separate apparatus too.

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 05:31:27 AM »
Gosh I'm glad you got the pond disaster remedied when you did- hope your fish and plants recover without any problems!  And good advice from Kathy (perplexed)..... :)
Joey

Offline Double S

• Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 07:00:36 AM »
Sounds like you stayed pretty calm. I would of FREAKED and had a heart attack...but no ER visit until my pond was full again.   {nono}

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 07:15:08 AM »
OH MY sounds like you have had a rough couple days...hope things start looking up soon....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 12:13:21 PM »
Reedman...think about you

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 02:23:42 PM »
Good news:

No "floaters" - All fish are fine (lively even) and I can see the bottom of the pond now with the fresh water! (Although there probably will be one monster algae bloom in a week or two). 

The water hyacinthes have many crispy leaves, but the lilies were fine (water stayed in each basin - no holes).

My wife said the water was on 2 1/2 hours last night then she turned it off at dark.  I topped it off this morning before work - took 45 minutes more.

ADVICE:  Keep your pump at the shallow end of your pond (like mine) or a foot off the bottom.  That way the pond can't be pumped dry.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 09:46:27 PM »
Oh my, I sure hope things turn around for you!!

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 02:21:05 PM »
Well - things are getting better!

I now know that that flex-tube draing pipe was the source of a slow leak in my pond since I started up the filter/waterfall this spring.  The connection at the stock tank was leaking at the bottom very slowly.  The water was running down the side of the stock tank and under the stock tank.

Pond level hasn't dropped since I refilled it.   @O@ :2thumbs:
Reedman

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 04:35:09 PM »
PERFECT POINT made by Esther!! I consider a float valve a must!!
Kathy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"