Author Topic: Dragonfly caught in the act!! Pond Pics and a Question????  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Loritx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Dragonfly caught in the act!! Pond Pics and a Question????
« on: June 28, 2007, 02:58:26 PM »
I was outside, between rainstorms(will they ever stop in North Texas) and saw a Dragonfly "Dipping" I assume it was laying eggs, splashing up on some bog plants at the end of the stream. Well by the time I got my camera she was gone. But I got another good shot of these two haveing some fun!!  ;)

This is what my pond looks like now!  Finally some good Lily cover and the Pickerel is blooming!!  Fish are happy!! Lots of tadpoles growing like weeds!!!

My Question is on the Right of the picture I have a lot (6-8 inches)of liner showing above the water level on the sunroom side of pond. My husband installed the skimmer about 2 inches too deep. So I am stuck with that water level at least till next cleanout, hopefully enough slack in liner to raise the skimmer a bit.   What can I use to cover it. There is only a small ledge over there so cant put any plants there that are tall. I have some parrots feather and corkscrew rush there now.  Can I glue small rock to it with silicone glue - kind of hard to work on that surface. Or glue rocks to some kind of backing material and drape over the liner??  I even thought of looking at some small tiles that are on a mesh backing and just drapeing that over the area (without the grout) ??

Any Ideas welcome

View from inside sunroom looking out.
Lori TX

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonfly caught in the act!! Pond Pics and a Question????
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:33:10 PM »
Well, I have a very small, narrow yard, and a smaller, more narrow pond.  If I were to cover the liner with rock, it would take up all the space in the pond.  So I just let the liner show.  No biggie for me.

But at one time, I did consider using bamboo mats - like those used for rolling sushi, or for placemats, or for privacy fences.  They are lightweight, natural looking, and cheap.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »
Very pretty little pond. Nice to have it so close to the house where you can really enjoy it.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 06:32:50 AM »
Julles,  I like the bamboo mat idea!!!  That might just work!!  Being the pond is so small and the shelf on the back side is small, I really didnt want to take up anymore space with rocks.

I will check arround and see what I can come up with!
Lori TX

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 06:42:10 AM »
i'd try thinking about growing something from the other side - from outside the pond. something that will grow over and drape down the side. or you could use some grasses/rush in the pond. no need to pot them, only need a couple of inches for the roots to soak in. maybe a couple of rocks to hold them in place. would also add a more natural look to the overall appearance of your pond. these are what i've used to cover the most glaring bare spots in my pond.
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 07:28:34 AM »
I had to look twice to see what you are talking about.  i'd plant something on the outside to grow over also.

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 08:04:58 AM »
Your pond looks great  :)
Joey

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 05:10:01 PM »
If you have the room,make another ledge just below the water line and place rock on that. Then place more rock to cover the first layer until you are up to ground level. The only problem is that it takes lots of rock! I think Cliff and Joann's site explains it better.

Here is a pic of my pond that sort of shows what I mean.

Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"