Author Topic: I'm feeling bad......  (Read 2397 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
I'm feeling bad......
« on: June 30, 2007, 11:52:11 AM »
Some people have sent me huge starts, and many more than I sent them. I feel bad.    :(  I sent small starts and exactly what was discussed because all I have is small starts as our season is behind everyone else with our cloudy weather. I have loads of other plants but thought if someone wanted any others they would say so.

If anyone is feeling ripped off or if your plants don't grow, PLEASE let me know.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
Re: I'm feeling bad......
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 12:48:10 PM »
don't feel bad - feel glad!! you got gifts!!  @O@

there is never any way to know exactly what someone is going to send you unless you happen to have gotten theirs first and then have an idea of what would be comparable. even then, sometimes there is no way you can match their generosity. if you don't have it to give at the time, you can't. a certain someone in hawaii was the first person i ever traded with and i couldn't believe it when i opened my first package!! my pond went from practically bare to this lush Tropical garden (yes, i got what i considered to be a pondfull of tropicals!!) i spent two years sending her what i could, when i could, to make myself feel somewhat close to even. and i still think i got the waaay better side of things. unfortunately she either has or isn't interested in many things i could send her. but should she ever holler and say - oooh, i'd like some of that, you can bet it would be on its way to hawaii asap. and yet she has never expressed anything but gratitude and friendship at any time. i realize of course that she didn't send me anything that she couldn't spare or maybe even just wanted to get rid of to thin things out for her own purposes (at least that's what she said). but i can tell you she made an instant friend for life!!  o(:-)
so i try to take that same approach when i'm trading with others. i like to give and get, but at least part of it is getting a thank you and a smile from the person i send to. as long as they sent what they said, then i'm happy. and i'm sometimes even happier that they're so happy as often the plants i send are ones i want to thin or simply have an abundance of. sometimes i have to tell people i just can't spare something at the moment - maybe later. i won't let go of anything i would miss. and if i send someone more than what they send me, well, if they want to start a ledger and try to make it up in the future if it will make them feel better (like i did), that's great because that means we'll trade again or they can just pass it along to the next person they trade with. or just give a gift to. as i also try to do. not everybody has a lot to give. me, i always feel guilty i don't have the water lilies to trade - just marginals and terrestrials so far. bought a bunch of lilies last year hoping to change that and i think maybe by the end of this season i'll have enough that have grown to dividing size to join the lily for lily trading club!!  8-)~

and if by chance you were including me in your feeling bad (because i know that my box to you was big with nice stalked cannas and your helvola was small with juvie pads) then take me off your guilt list!! frankly if even 4-5 of those columbine seeds grow and establish, i'll be thrilled!! and you were gonna give those to me anyway! i know you sent several of those packets to people out of generosity and i know that all appreciated it. so enjoy your cannas, please!! share 'em with everybody by taking pics and posting them when they bloom!!
they were originally a gift to me from a neighbor who moved at the same time we started landscaping the yard. six little 2" stalks grew into a plantation in 4-5 years.  last year i discovered that they were something pretty unusual & neat when i saw the first bicolor blooms. and i wouldn't have known that if people here hadn't told me what i had. so i never had anything more than the watering bill invested in them anyway!! and i've still got plenty left. pretty sure i'll be offering them again next year :o

plus speaking personally, i enjoy the pics and other things you share with people all the time. you're another left coaster like myself and it's fun to see your ponds, yard and the things you're doing with them. you participate in the terrestrial gardening forum which i enjoy as well. it's always a delight to have you respond to a post there or to see the ones you start. your online friendship/companionship has the kind of value that shouldn't be measured in big/little comparisons.  :hug:

of course if all our plants die because you sent us andy's dreaded root rot(  ::) ), well that's a different story woman!!  :whip:

so, the bottom line -  :tease: :tease: :tease:  O0
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 12:53:05 PM »
Now LeeAnne.......first off I'm glad you had water celery and I'm happy with mine. It's still inside floating in a pan waiting on my waterfall to get finished so I can pot it next to it. It's growing like a wild weed to so feel good. I got plenty of duck weed to.

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 01:08:37 PM »
just thought i would add that before i discovered the forums, i bought a helvola for about $15 that was about half the size of what you sent!!  :doh:

and also, who was it that told me to chill out when i was feeling bad about not getting my packages out when i said i would? believe it or not, your words helped me put things in perspective!! i still wish things would go the way i planned them, but hey, perfection is gonna have to wait for another life.  ;D
Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 01:56:02 PM »
Thank you.  o(:-)

Yes, Ed, guilt occurred when I opened all those cannas and I sent one little Helvola and some seeds.

IF there is anything else on my list, which will grow as the season progresses, holler!
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 02:20:56 PM »
Thank you Ed!  I've had a rough week... and you just made my day!  My honeysuckle is still going, bloomed a little.  Unforturntley I had "help" with the Angel Trumpets... before I knew what happened they were in the burn pile!   :'(
I was really looking forward to those to!
And I'm not ignoring your email!  I'm still looking!
Tammie

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 03:31:48 PM »
well, speaking of a certain someone  :hug:

aw, let's make it a group  :hug: :hug: :hug:

hey, i'm going out to cut some angel's trumpets stalks tomorrow. i will send you some. all four varieties? i forget if you already had some or not. i am sooo glad you got the honeysuckle to root!!  @O@ @O@
that is going to be my next project - to try and get some rootings going before i ship them.  if i can get some going i'll probably be offering them later in the season. hopefully not too late for people to get it established before the frosts/freezes hit them. of course us left coasters and island folks don't really pay much attention to that stuff, right?  ;)
i'm also going to want to thin my bed of something called california hyacinth after it stops blooming. i'll be posting some pics of the current blooms sometime soon. it's very different. one of my better mistakes! i thought i was buying regular hyacinth bulbs acclimated to california!  :doh:

LeeAnne, just enjoy the cannas. i spend way too much time lusting after some things in your garden as it is!!  8-)~ rest assured we'll do this again sometime. maybe later in the season when others are putting their ponds up for winter and we're still watching sunsets with blooms  8)

and today is a perfect example of things going backwards. last monday, after working night shift on sunday,  i wanted to stay up all day and ship the plants. almost fell asleep right where i'm sitting now and ended up taking too long of a nap. today i planned on getting a nap and catching the late afternoon of the day, but i'm yet to go to sleep. i think it was perplexed ponder's fault!! she sent me the mayla and of course it opened a bloom less than 24 hrs of being in the pond. i didn't want to miss the show!!  :D

and speaking of trading dilemmas, she sent me 3 beautiful lilies, 2 of them HUGE! and all she tells me she wants in return is "marginals. i need some marginals"  ;D

she'll get a great package i think but i'll still feel like i can't really give her all she gave me. all i can do is my best and hope she's happy. i think she will be.

and i think that from my first trade  - i learned from the best!!

o(:-) you both!

Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 04:02:39 PM »
I can help with the marginals!  What do you want?  I can ship to you, then you can ship them off to PPonder.  Hopefully I'll be back in action next week.  Not really excited about shipping anything with the holiday in the middle of the week tho...
I think there were 4 different colors of Angel trumpets?  All of them were cooked in the burn pile...
Tammie

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 04:55:49 PM »
anybody else reading this thread must think we're half nuts. we can't even discuss trading without trying to create trades.  lol lol lol

all four colors it is then.

i actually think i've got PP covered, i kinda saved the biggest pieces of each one for her since i knew she was sending all that - never asking for anything in particular or even more in exchange. and i'm going to give her a little surprize that wasn't on my list because i didn't realise it would grow back as quickly as others say it will.

however.. let's do email and we'll see what we can work out. i'm sure i can throw a few tidbits your way (knowing you'll probably outdo me anyway  ;D ). i am trying to get some tubs going with marginals. started two last year and they grew the biggest, best marsh marigold i've ever seen (that's going to PP and i'm starting over as i want other plants in there as well) along with full size and dwarf horsetails, some flowering rush from Jennie in Mt., and more calif rush divisions. some of the other great, generous traders lately have thrown in little tidbits as well so i'm adding more bit by bit. but i'll bet you've got a thing or two that would work nicely as well and wouldn't have you knocking yourself out to send. definitely would like rooted type plants, not floaters for these pondsai type tubs. email or pm me with what you've got that is doing too good and needs thinning and i'll tell you if i've got it. no hurry.

see LeeAnne, it's been 2 years since i would even let her offer me anything!! ;)
of course i don't expect you to be as stubborn as me. you will have to let me send you something else as well. but like i said, we'll trade again when you're feeling like your plants are ready and i know they will be. you'll get your chance to get 'even' if that's what you want!  &-)  no wait, not that kind of even.  :harhar:

(this is really just an evil plot to restore the oxygen levels in the world and reduce the holes in the ozone. and i've always figured JohnJohns is the mastermind behind it all  8) ;D )

one more group  :hug: :hug: :hug: before i go check how the bloom is doing.  :woot:
Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 10:28:07 PM »
Man I hate to see anyone here but especially you feeling bad.. You have offered things free to people and all the packing and shipping definatley takes much time.  I cant really imagine anyone being unhappy with a trade on here.  Maybe it happens but it has never happened to me.  I have received many wonderful things.  Sure some things are smaller than others but when you want something you cant get anywhere else thats just how it goes.. some things grow quicker and faster than others and you can share more etc.  So sorry your feeling bad YOU SHOULDND BE! 

I learned a very neat trick for shipping from you this week that will help me be a much better trader on here.  I always felt so quilty on such small starts I am able to send costing so much on shipping.  I never have big starts to share either.  I mostly hope in deviding what small I have that when I kill it I can say can I have some back :)

tinkster

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 01:31:50 PM »
Thanks again  o(:-)

~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 02:02:36 PM »
LeeAnn I got my box and was thrilled with everything @O@ @O@........your portions were just fine.....I have all of them planted and can't wait till I get my first flowers o(:-) o(:-)
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 03:54:18 PM »
LeeAnne, I don't think we've ever traded, but I've learned so much from your posts over the years that if I had anything you wanted, I'd send it to you POSTAGE FREE. I don't keep score here and I bet most people don't either.

There was one time I traded a tropical lily and it was smaller than the person expected. They were very nice about it, and I offered to make it up to them in various ways, but they just politely declined and said it was their fault for not being clear in what they wanted, that they lived up north with a short season and wanted something big and almost ready to bloom because they weren't going to winter it over. I still feel a little bad about that one. But now I make it very clear upfront if something is small or immature and let people decide if they still want it.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2007, 03:36:29 AM »
I haven't traded much, I had a bad experience a long time ago (as the shipper, the receiver complained on the forum about free plants  ::) ) and was selling on eBay instead. I took very clear photos and listed exactly what I was selling and never had worries nor complaints. If I said I was sending 12 stems of Parrot's Feather, I always sent at least 18 but I never sent any other plants as a gift.

With the greenhouse, now I am able to keep tropicals over the winter  @O@  and it would be far too expensive at local prices to get even half of what I've traded for or purchased through this site this year. I actually wanted small starts because it is a small greenhouse and I want to use small pots.

Papyrus is ten bucks   {nono} for a 4" pot at Hughes, Taro too, tropical waterlilies are $30 and up. Selection is very limited too. Hughes has more selection than any other nursery and they supply almost all of the other nurseries so if they don't have it no one does.

Besides, it is fun to walk around the yard and think of forum friends when I see plants.  @O@  o(:-) I'm thrilled with what I received from everyone.

I just got to feeling bad for sending tiny divisions of Helvola when I received bigger and more in return though my Helvola hasn't even bloomed yet this year. If I sent as big of Helvola as a tropical I received I would have had to send the mother plant.  ::)

My cannas aren't huge either, I've only divided them once in three years and I didn't have a lot of each one. Maybe two or three.

Our season is so short here that tropicals just don't grow like they do where there is more sun.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 03:00:29 PM »
I have traded with everyone on this thread I think.  And have loved it all!  No one here needs to feel bad or guilty...least of all you LeeAnne!  Pffffffffffft.  This is 'sposed to be fun.  So, I say 'piffle ' to those mean spirited traders.  I will just continue making friends along with my trades and ignore the malcontents.  LOL  They must have such small small lives and we have circles of friends.  I am so sorry for them. 
Like you LeeAnne, I love to go out to my garden and remember who sent me what.  It is like a journal of happy memories....

And Ed!  Great to see ya!!  Did the delphs survive??
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 10:07:21 PM by Jennie in MT »

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 03:43:41 PM »
Hi Jennie!!! :D

sorry, the delphiniums never did anything. i was going to plant the seeds this spring but misplaced them at xmas cleaning time. finally found them recently - not sure what to do. if i had known what a cold winter we would have, i would have planted them outside last fall. oh well.

still trying to find my iris coming up. i can't believe anything would have happened to them. never had an iris fail on me before.

i'm not even sure if i have the burgandy princess anymore - raccoons repeatedly thrashed my two container gardens without covers over the winter and i kept having to pick the rhizomes up off the yard. the 3 that were in them kinda got mixed up and only one has come out of dormancy so far but no buds yet.

i hope the plants i sent you are doing better!!

btw - i believe we had discussed something about a JB WL somewhere down the road  ;)
Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"