Author Topic: Other fish in small pools/ponds?  (Read 1846 times)

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Other fish in small pools/ponds?
« on: July 02, 2007, 03:06:45 PM »
Has anyone kept small tropical fish such as guppies in small outdoor ponds or lilly pools? How about plecs?
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Other fish in small pools/ponds?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 02:15:11 PM »
I think guppies are warm water fish, aren't they?  Most tropical fish are.  I have heard of people keeping them in water barrels outside for the summer, though.  If you put them in your pond (without bigger fish) for the summer, I have to believe they would be happy with all the room.

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 02:50:20 PM »
Yes, I did mean for the summer. They are warm water fish and would def have to be brought in for the winter here. I wanted to put some in my lily pools, not in the pond with my koi and goldies.
 :)
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 05:09:46 PM »
I've known ponders in South Florida who kept guppies and other tropicals in their ponds but down there, they can stay year round.

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 05:35:59 AM »
I've heard of folks putting channel catfish in their ponds. 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 06:07:58 AM »
I put Mollies and Platy's and a Betta in my new 600 gallon above ground pond. Thay way we can catch them easier when winter comes. Then I will put them back in pond and aquariums in the basement.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 10:58:43 PM »
I had some fancy guppy's in my front puddle one year.  Started out with 2 pairs, when fall came I had probably close to 200 babies.  Let me tell you, that was alot of fun trying to catch them all.

I've also kept a pleco in my Wakin/Shubunkin pond.  I called it his summer home, he was 19 1/2 and still hard to catch at the end of the season.  We had him many, many years and lost him last year.  Still haven't bought another one yet.  They say the will suck the slime coating off of goldfish, I never had a problem with him though.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 09:41:32 AM »
I have guppies in my pond, too. We plan on catching them to bring them in in the winter, but they are thriving out there. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"