Author Topic: Tim, Kat, some of you lily Guru's can u answer this?  (Read 2147 times)

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tim, Kat, some of you lily Guru's can u answer this?
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:42:40 AM »
My lily pond is 23 inches deep. I heard that is too deep for tropicals but okay for hardies. Reading the Internet I get confused on it. I know my Tropicals are not growing as fast as the Miami and it is in 14 inches of water.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tim, Kat, some of you lily Guru's can u answer this?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 11:42:37 AM »
Jen, what is the water temp in your lilypond?     

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:45:34 AM »
If you feel your tropicals aren't thriving enough, find bricks or something to set the pots up higher to get the crown closer to the surface.  Just make sure whatever you use is stable.  I keep anywhere from 6-10" of water over my tropical lily crowns.  I use bricks & then a patio paver on top or cinder blocks (I will put a scrap piece of liner under the cinder blocks to help prevent puncturing).  This will also create a spot for fish to hide in when the heron comes to have dinner  >:(-  My koi pond is deeper--my neighbor threw out some dark green plastic patio side tables--they work great to keep the lilies up higher.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 12:30:35 PM »
This is my first try with tropicals. I was told to keep only about six inches of water over the crowns. Mine are just now starting to grow but I have my doubts they will get big enough and flower before the weather cools down. :(
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 12:33:55 PM »
2' is usually the recommended depth. But that is with a grown lily to get the best results.
Smaller lilies need more heat to grow quickly. If they are too deep they can stay cool enough that they can get cranky about growing.
I have mine between depths of 2" to 14" above the crown.
When I put a lily in a deeper pond I will usually lower it in stages to keep from stunting it's growth.
The pads will reach for the surface in a day usually even if you drop it more than a foot below the surface.
They are reaching for sunlight... heat and light.
Like Kat said... if the water is cool, raise them towards the heat and the light some to try and get better results.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 01:43:50 PM »
I ended up having to raise my Rhonda Kay (KATS lily) up just about 2 inches.  They were blooming under the water.  After I raised it a bit, she's sending up lots of big blooms held way above the water....

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline GAjen

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 02:02:03 PM »
I put most of my tropical in the little pond and moved the hardies to the deep pond. I appreciate it you all.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 03:45:11 PM »
Water temps on tropicals plays into how well they do along with how much sunlight they get. 

Kim--I'm glad Rhonda Kay started to behave better for you!
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 05:28:52 PM »
Temp is fine and sun is fine so I'm raising the remaining trops in the morning. I switched out a hardy and put two of the tropicals in the small pond. Should have made that lily pond 1 level instead of two.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 03:43:12 AM »
Thanks for asking this, I've been wondering about it too.  My lilies are on the bottom of the pond this year and the tropicals are in the deep end, close to 4' deep.  It gets more sun though, about 5 hours now.  The water temp is 82* and they are sending up huge pads, that started in the last couple weeks.  Before that the pads were small and more arrow shaped.  The only one that has bloomed is Afterglow and it is a blooming fool. It also now has huge pads, I'll have to measure them for the lily pad thread.  I had a feeling they were too deep but the inverted black pots I had them on last year were a pain, they tipped over half the time when I was in the pond so I just set them all on the bottom this year. 

Offline thepitclub

• Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 04:59:42 AM »
I'm glad you asked this too; I had been wondering about depth. I also had a question about raising water temp for tropicals. Can you put an aquarium heater (with thermostat around 80* F) into a lilly pool to encourage them? It's been getting down to the 50's at night here frequently and it def seems to be slowing down my trops growth rate. Day temps have been averaging around 80*.
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 11:00:48 AM »
Woo Hoo!! I went out this morning and another tropical (other than Afterglow) has a bud breaking the surface!!    I got out my notes as I can see it is blue and it should be Silver Mist.  I'm so excited!

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 11:07:58 AM »
Went to the good ole Dollar General and they had sturdy plastic square pots half price. Bought them .......brought them home set them around and put the tropicals on them. Moved the hardy white back to the little inground pond. Will I ever get it settled? I don't know .....I'll experiment until I get it right. Glad you all are finding out depth matters to.

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 01:40:30 PM »
Upon raising had an Albert Greenberg fully bloom today and two buds showing. Also a Leopardness and many others have new growth.

Offline enzo

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Members
  • Entrepreneur, marketer, and more...
  • With us since: 15/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Lorenzo Orlando Caum
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 01:20:23 PM »
depths are measured from the crown of the plant. Once its growing well in a depth of +, - 18 inches you can lower it or raise it. Though, if its going deeper it should be in a large pot so its a large plant.
--
Lorenzo
Buy tropical water lilies — Utopia Aquatic
An Enzo12 LLC venture

Offline Shep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2007, 03:17:38 PM »
.........so if I understand correcty,

Tropicals are more sensitive to temperature and depth than Hardy's?

Gradual steps in lowering the depth over the crown of tropicals?

The bigger the pot the bigger the plant in both tropicals and Hardy's?

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 05:52:29 PM »

Tropicals are more sensitive to temperature and depth than Hardy's?
Tropicals by nature like warmer water than hardies. Hardies usually bloom earlier than tropicals.
The warmer the water and the brighter the sun, the better your tropicals will perform.
Night Boomers... also tropicals... bloom even later usually. They usually bloom later in the season and go dormant faster than day blooming varieties.
Gradual steps in lowering the depth over the crown of tropicals?
That is the best method. If you drop a lily that was in 6" of water down to a 2' depth, it's pads will usually reach for the surface the next day. But if it is cool enough in the water, you can shock the tropical into thinking seasons have changed and it can try to go dormant or at least pout. It would be better to lower it to 10" to 12", wait a week to make sure it is doing well then lower it to 16"- 18", wait another week and if it is doing fine drop it on down to the 2' level if that is what depth you are shooting for.
The bigger the pot the bigger the plant in both tropicals and Hardy's?
Hardies spread their rhizome like a hand with fingers reaching out away from the pot. That is why you want to plant it at a side of the container growing at an angle towards the center. The bigger the pot, the better. You lessen the chance of it growing into an edge and deforming or damaging the lily rhizome with a bigger pot.
You can take a tropical and grow it in dixie cups and get a beautiful flowering specimen that might be 1' to 2' across from pad edge to pad edge. You take that very same plant, pull it out of that dixe cup, plant it in a 8 qt container and feed it well and within a month or so with good weather and warm temps and it might be 8' across with flowers that are double in size to what it was a few months earlier. Now certainly different lilies have different fully grown out sizes but the more room you give a lily to spread it's roots, the bigger it will get for you.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Shep

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/12/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 07:09:07 PM »
I think I have it now  O0 ....... but why do I have the feeling I'll kill everything anyway  ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"