Author Topic: There's a snapping turtle in my pond  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
There's a snapping turtle in my pond
« on: July 03, 2007, 09:30:17 PM »
We have been noticing damaged fins on our fish this past week or so.  A couple days ago I got in and cut back a lot of the waterlilies so we could see the bottom better.  We suspected a snapping turtle.  We have never had one before but couldn't imagine what else could do all the damage to our poor fish. :'(

This afternoon I walked out to check on the fish and our oldest and largest butterfly koi had been attacked, he died later. :'( :'( :'(

We got nets and began pulling back lily leaves and looking.  Hubby suddenly thought of the big cypress beside our lightpost.  It hangs over a shallow shelf in the pond.  He took the handle of a net and pulled back the limbs of the bush, sure enough there lay the turtle.  He made three attempts with the net, but it was too small and he got away.  We got bigger nets and searched until dark, but never found him.  Some friends brought up a turtle trap and we have it set and baited with beef liver.

We just gotta catch this  :swear: turtle.  :'(

Karen

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: There's a snapping turtle in my pond
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 12:12:12 AM »
I'm sorry, Karen.  :(  I hope you catch him. 

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 03:36:53 AM »
 :( I'm so sorry about your butterfly. I sure hope you can find and relocated the turtle asap. (Tempting as it may be to make him into soup right now.) Good luck.
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 08:44:49 AM »
How big is that "small" turtle?  I know the mature size, and it's fairly huge.

I'm just wondering how big a snapper has to be in order to be able to catch fish and maim / eat them.

Also, some of them, perhaps only the alligator variety, lurk on the bottom and open their mouths and wiggle their tongues, luring the unsuspecting fishies inside, whereapon they snap the jaws shut and - no more fish!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 08:53:20 AM »
Oh I'm so sorry about your koi  :'( Yes, I'd be jugging that turtle out of there ASAP!  Nothing good can come out of a snapper being in a small fish pond....
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 09:00:35 AM »
We didn't get him with the trap last night. :(  We have rebaited with a bluegill.  :-\ We've spent most of the morning looking for him, but there are so many places for him to hide.  I cut back a lot of the lilies but there are still so many and frankly, after seeing him, I don't want to reach my hands down in the water to cut back the rest.  I've seen snappers latch on to a stick, and they don't let go.  At first glance I would have said he was bushel basket size :o but actually he was probably ten to twelve inches. 
To make matters worse, a kingfisher sat in the tree yesterday and watched all the action.  I think everything is against us. :'(

Karen

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 10:10:58 AM »
That is a sad shocker.  That's no little turtle...hope you catch it soon.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 11:00:58 PM »
Yikes!!! 10-12"??????? Scary!!

Sorry about your favorite fish. :'(
Cath
zone 5b

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 05:03:33 AM »
Oh dear! I'm so sorry! I sure hope you catch the booger soon.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 05:57:11 AM »
He sounds pretty big, I'm sorry about your poor fish.  I hope you catch that turtle ASAP!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 06:55:04 PM »
Man I hope you catch him soon.  I had a huge one in my garden a few years ago.  he was as big as a tire almost.  We had a horrid time getting him into a bag so my cousin could take him away.  THey can do some real damage.
tinkster

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 07:16:57 PM »
Did you catch it Karen?

Sorry to hear about your fish... 

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 07:22:53 PM »
That's terrible ! I hope ya catch that turtle . Sorry to hear about your favorite fish .
bonnie

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 09:33:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for your concern.

No, we haven't caught it.  We haven't seen it again since that first time and we haven't noticed anymore damage to the fish.

Our friend that loaned us the trap wonders if it left since we had been aggravating it poking and prodding in the pond constantly.  You would think with all the time spent looking for it that we would have seen it again, if its still in there.  I am hoping it left, but have my doubts.  I want it gone permanently.

Good grief Tink, the size of a tire!  I would be scared to death of that thing.  I surprised myself when we saw this one the other day.  I was so upset that I got in the pond immediately with a net looking for it.  Didn't even bother to change my clothes or shoes!

Karen

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 10:12:05 AM »
Hope that it's gone for good Karen!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 11:08:47 AM »
Maybe it moved on, I sure hope so.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"