Author Topic: What's your handle?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What's your handle?
« on: July 05, 2007, 10:17:36 AM »
I'm curious about some of the names that people use here, and wondered if people felt like sharing how they came up with their handle.  I'll start with mine, though it may be obvious to some and already known to others.

My avatar is of my pet Cockatoo, Rocky, who is blind. (well, cataracts...so legally blind - he'll never get his driver's license now).  He's a "Blind Cockatoo", or "Blind 'Too" for short.  It's also a play on words, because people say he's awesome, and I say, "Yeah, and he's blind, too". 

So how about your unique handle?  How did you come up with it?  Jerry - I think I figured yours out already, but if you feel you need to elaborate please do so!  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: What's your handle?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 10:27:05 AM »
It was Kayak Kid on the old forum (AWGS)   I felt sheepish starting a new Forum, so I opted for my real name
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 11:30:23 AM »
Well, you are a heck of a lot more creative than me.   {:-P;;

Editing to say that on some mommy boards I do go by andthentherewere3.  I got that because we have two teenagers, then suddenly we had another child, unexpectedly.  I had originally heard the term andthentherewere3 from the band Genesis.  So I suppose I have a tiny bit of creativity. 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 12:31:46 PM »
My handle on the CB was Green Thumb. Partly because I garden a bit and partly because at that time I was a bank teller and had been for a long time. When I started here I couldn't figure out why people had these strange names and then would post and sign their real names.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 05:21:37 PM »
Well, mine is pretty obvious too I think.  I have a knack for rehabbing cats or kitties (plural) and it sounds like it has a "z" on the end of it.  So I just morphed it to Kittyz and added the "ee".  I also noticed people signing their real names in their profile, so I followed suit.  That way you can call me whatever ya like...except like Mikey says "late for dinner"! 

And Jerry, that's Mikey without the "c"!    :harhar:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 05:24:43 PM »
I started out with mine on Garden Web. Because I couldn't get just Pondman, I added to it and got what I have today here.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline luvmyasagis

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 06:17:03 PM »
Well mine is because I love Asagis.
Have a blessed day

Offline Sandye

• Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 07:45:45 PM »
Well, mine's not unique, except I spell my nickname a little differently than most Sandra's.   {:-P;;

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 07:53:11 PM »
I use the "m" nicknames of my kids but when the hacker broke into AP and had to make a change I through in a "k" for koi  ;)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 08:11:54 PM »
When I first started on boards waaaaaaay back at AWGS there were a bunch of Nancy's. So to distiguish myself I didn't want to use a number so I used my state initials. Not too creative I'm afraid.  :D

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 08:27:24 PM »
My is just like PA Nancy.........Ky is for Kentucky Kim

My aol is Kimkass, because years ago when I first got AOL you couldn't use as many letters as today.  Couldn't find anything with Kim, so I took my Daughter's name Kassidy and stuck it on the end.  Alot of people think Kimkass means kim kicks a**, I know my aunt did and she called my mother and told her about it.  Hello, even then I was like 27 years old...I didn't need anyone to tell on me, espically for something that it didn't even mean.  I just laughed and didn't send her anymore emails or jokes...

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Shawn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 08:42:08 PM »
I use Shawn here, my name... Nothing orginial....  However, I do us Sir_Micheal on quite a few places.. When I was in the Army, studying Russian, there were several Shawn's in my section of 15 (5 to be exact) and I was asked if I would go by my middle name... Needless to say, Micheal (Dad never spelled it the right way, so it stuck on my birth certificate), is what most of my Army buddies and anyone who knew me in California called me.. Everyone at home only knows me by Shawn so its kinda funny if someone calls asking for Micheal... Sir, well, a few friends were always calling me sir (not an officer!), so it stuck. Sir Micheal.. Every now and again, I throw in 1999 which was when Yahoo changed their eMail and would not allow me to keep my original Sir_Micheal....   so there you have it.. Shawn or Micheal... I'll answer to either...
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Russell, Kentucky  Zone 5

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 03:20:31 AM »
Being a paramedic for so many years, I did a lot of doctoring in the ditch, particulary at wrecks. The small town that I leved in had a major highway going through it and a lot of wrecks so I took the name "Ditchdoctor" for many years.

I got fascinated with ponds and found this site through a magazine, thinking of pond life, Bullfrog just seemed natural.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 11:22:28 AM »
Mine is livetogarden because gardening is my favorite thing to do. If the weather allows me to be outside I'm gardening. I not only have my pond, but the whole back yard which is 110' x158' is fenced and the entire fenceline is all flower beds. Plus we have a 50' x 100' veggie garden, a courtyard on the east side of our house and the front yard is total shade so we turned it in to a shade garden years ago.
Need I say more???  :)
Cath
zone 5b

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 04:15:53 PM »
Cath, you're killing me  :o :o :o  My whole backyard is smaller than your vege garden!!! :D  I'm green with envy not a green thumb  :P

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 04:38:08 PM »
My entire lot including the house is less than 50 x 100!!!!! I think it is 50 x 70.

I found the Watergardening Magazine forum right after I got a computer in 1999 and wasn't familiar with use of handles online so I registered with my name but it wouldn't let me so I added 151 because I used to drink 151 Bacardi Rum and the number just popped into my head. I never have thought of a cute ponding handle but my eBay board name is Buyorsell888 which is slightly more clever. I had to add the numbers to get that one too. I should have used 151. I'm that on Garden Web too because Spike banned me under LeeAnne151.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2007, 07:47:47 AM »
When I got my first preform 6 years ago and had the green water thing going, I found AWGS and registered under mammasue which is what my daughters friend used to call me.  We called him...he's not my boyfriend".

Later when I was looking for a forum to visit I simply registered with SueS...too many Sue's and S for my last name.  I'm still at one forum under mammasue.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2007, 12:53:35 PM »
I was Tildog on rec.ponds and still use that in my e-mail.  During my last four or five years in patrol my beat of choice was in a predominantly Black neighborhood bordering Compton.  The area had many Crip gang members and many often had the moniker of "dog", "dogg" or "dawg" as a part of their street name.  Snoop Dogg is an example of such a Crip who, by the way, was raised in my city.  Too bad he's liked and respected by so many people only because of his success in the music industry...... but that's another story.....

When not dispatched on calls, street cops generally work different specific aspects of law enforcement that interests them.  Some like working traffic (I hated traffic), some liked working dope, some like working whores, some like working Mexican gangs, some like working Asian gangs and during my last several years in patrol I enjoyed working Black gangs.  My last name is Tilson and an officer in a sister beat unit named me Tildog and soon the Crips in my beat were calling me officer Tildog and officer T-dog.  I gave up that name when I had the AOL ISP because I got too many e-mails from people asking if I was Crip or Blood......

My current "Mikey" name came from both friends and co-workers.  I assume they got it from the Life cereal commercial of the 70's & 80's - "He likes it, Hey Mikey!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 12:04:06 AM »
I was always Vivienne, but only my mother calls me that... :-X

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2007, 09:20:25 AM »
Ok... my name Timgod came about because of my wife to a degree.
I used to do a lot of graphics when I had more time on my hands.
I always said that through photography, 2D and 3D artwork I could create new world's that had not existed before.
Like God did. But so as not to offend others I made sure it was with a little "g".

For a number of years I sold guns and weaponry as a hobby. I used my skills in design to make my own signs, business cards etc so I continued with the Timgod moniker because by then my website and my email were based on Timgod.

I am also a pretty confidant kind of person so the name can have a nasty connotation by those that dislike me. I have heard people say something to the effect of "It must be right if Timgod said it." They are usually dripping with sarcasm at the time but I learned long ago not to argue a point unless I know I am right so just about all of the time what they say in a caustic fashion proves to be true.

Evidently people named Tim are predisposed to be a bit cocky because if you search the web there are lots of Timgods out there. I have the distinction of being one of the first or at least the most catalogued because anytime someone wants to find my website I don't have to tell them to go to a web address that they need to write down. I just tell them to "Google" Timgod.
I am at the top. With that form of free advertising that I can use as I see fit I could not ever give up the nickname.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 10:20:43 AM »
LOL, my dh is named Tim, and he calls himself God-like.  I always think of him when I see your name, Timgod.   ;)

Offline Oceanbum

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 04:01:35 AM »
Hubby and I like the beach and the ocean. We would lay around on the beach and do nothing every vacation if we could!! Every time I try to use the name Beachbum it's already taken. So I started using Oceanbum. It's usually available and has now become my name on about every site I visit. I collect lighthouses and have them everywhere so that explains my avatar!!! Not that Oceanbum didn't already explain it!!!  ::) Not very exciting, I know, but that's why I'm Oceanbum!!!  :)
Becky

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 06:35:08 AM »
Okay well here goes..... I am a Retired Navy Senior Chief (one of my better accomplishments) and as such we traveled the world, 26 different countries some of them I revisited several times. The one common theme in most of these countries was that if they didn't speak english you may get by with spanish.  My Spanish is very basic but I can survive.
    One trip to Mexico (the ship went to Acapulco) I took a group of Christian friends and we went out to an Orphanage on the outskirts of town. We brought lots of food and lots of gifts as well as tools to help repair their facilities. While we were there some of the children would see me directing my crew to do this or do that and the would move with a purpose to get those things done. On very beautiful and bright 6 year old girl pulled my spanish speaking 2nd class petty officer aside and asked him who I was that I could give orders like that and people just did what I told them. Rather than try and explain military (Navy) hiarchy My Second clas told the young girl that I was El Jefe (The boss, The Chief etc) and that I had many people that worked for me.  The young girl then told all of her brother and sisters (other orphaned children)  and I lost my real name and became El Jefe to them for the rest of our stay there. After that everyone called me El Jefe, just stuck.

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 07:59:06 AM »
FrLopLady  Helps to have the caps in the name probably..

I've raised and shown French Lop rabbits for many years.  It was my original aol and yahoo screenname.  So it gets used.

Mary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"