Author Topic: I QUIT!!!!  (Read 3496 times)

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I QUIT!!!!
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:28:11 PM »
Well guys and gals.....I hereby announce I quit ponding as of today. Why? What we build and do doesn't turn out right or doesn't work right. The skippy is in the little pond with very little flow and it is getting clogged up. The Lily pond....don't even ask. All of this is now the hubby's to do with as he pleases. I'm done....it's been problems since the preformed was pulled up 6 years ago. I'm now burnt out. I won't be a ponder but I'll look at your ponds.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I QUIT!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:31:11 PM »
Oh no Jen!  I'm sorry to hear that.  I hope you'll stay here.  You guys have had quite a run of bad luck when it comes to ponding...maybe just water gardening without all the pumps and such.  Or just plain gardening  ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »
No, don't throw in the towel yet.  Hang in there this year, maybe next season will be totally different and things will go in the right direction.  I've always thought you pond was pretty.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline GAjen

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »
I'm not leaving the forum just realizing I don't know squat about ponding and I'm really drained from all the trouble we've had. You know when you just tire of things not working.....that is where I am. I could of had a really nice reef tank for the money spent ponding and just don't won't to invest anymore.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 01:32:35 PM »
Didn't you just start you lily pond, with that beautiful Miami Rose?

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 01:50:43 PM »
Don't give up yet.  Try to sit back for a few days & see if things are better next week.  Goldfish can be kept in ponds that don't have filtration, like I do with my lily ponds.  Most of the time the water is very clear as long as you don't stir up the bottom of the pond.  Just clean it in the spring time & sometimes the fall.  Maybe a very simple pond is what you need right now.

As for reef tank keeping, that is a lot harder to do in my opinion.  I had 5 softie reef tanks going at one time.  I'd much rather deal with my lily ponds instead  ;)
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 02:04:52 PM »
That was me early this year. Plants would not grow, water was beyond green, raccoons kept knocking over the slate on the falls, making the pond drain itself. I kept picturing an extra piece of beautiful lawn.

But you just don't somehow, appreciate a thing of beauty if it wasn't at least a little bit of a hastle to do in the first place.

So, take a few weeks off. Kick the %^$# pond when no one is looking, and then come back to frustration - but eventual "wow, look what I did"

Hang in there Jen.

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »
Mike W. got it right! as did the rest of our members
I was close to filling it in too.
lots here will help you

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 03:30:10 PM »
my pond's third year was a nightmare. nearly everything that could go wrong did. i learned how little i had known when i started the pond. rocks on the botom were an absolute mess. couldn't keep anything alive - the raccoons kept destroying the plants and probably some fish. the heron definitly got fish. raccoons punctured my pump tubing outside the pond. i couldn't keep my filter from clogging daily. i spent more time fighting with the pond than enjoying it. i was about to just let it destroy itself when i decided to spend the extra money to do it right and not just good enough (which i was learning it wasn't). gradually things got better. Tammie did a trade with me that filled my pond back with lilies. i finally had tears of joy in my eyes rather than flames of anger. since that year, the pond has been easier to deal with. it requires less maintenence and i've spent more time just sitting and watching again.

just HANG IN THERE!! let the pond take care of itself for a bit if need be but don't rush to the decision you're not going to particiapte in it any more. everyone has a bad year sooner or later. frankly i think its better when its sooner.

so give yourself one of these -  :hug:

and imagine yourself getting one from all the people who've responded here.  :hug: :hug: :hug:
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 04:26:30 PM »
Don't give up!!!  Just take care of what you have now. Try not to take in anything else until you have the hang of it or rather everything falls in its place.  Maybe concentrate on one part of the pond that makes you happiest.  One thing at a time.  Anyone would be overwhelmed!!  :o

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2007, 04:40:46 PM »
Thanks for the support you all the plumbing seems to be the biggest problems. I just got up from a catnap and I bet DH is outside working on it. Sometimes I wish I could fly a few of you down to solve the problem. It has been a hard year. With the fires we were late starting the ponding season and like I said and GAWD I hate the fact but we just can't get the plumbing right.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2007, 04:47:02 PM »
Like I always tell my DH, "you're getting all technical" and that makes it more tough than it needs to be.  Less elbows more flow.  Check Timgods site on building a bog on his pond as filtration.  Too simple!  Now all I have to do is follow my suggestion.  BTW I have simple dimple plumbing for my pond and it works just find.  I just like Timgods method for keeping water clear.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 05:54:04 PM »
Jen, welcome to the pond school of hard knocks. We've all been there. Is there a Chuck-E-Cheese near you? You need to go there and spend some money on the Gopher game. It will releive your stress. :D

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 06:27:01 PM »
Scott  lol lol lol I'm going to try that one!

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 06:31:57 PM »
Jen, welcome to the pond school of hard knocks. We've all been there. Is there a Chuck-E-Cheese near you? You need to go there and spend some money on the Gopher game. It will releive your stress. :D

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(

No we don't have one but there is good news......my pal Shae who I met on this forum btw....called after reading this and I know what to do to fix it all now. @O@ @O@ DH used too small of PVC and stuff. Sorry DH love ya but, you tried and now we will do it the right way.

I do have Full Tilt Poker Scott my other obsession.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 07:15:05 PM »
Good for Shae!

See that was an easy one... O0

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »
One I was too stupid to figure out. We live, we learn and we get frustrated. Y'all wish us luck that the new plumbing works and thanks again.

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 07:28:10 PM »
Can I ask what size pipe that you were using in the beginning which didn't work?

Offline tucker

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 10:11:01 AM »
Lets talk about quitting.
My 5000 gal goldfish pond is 5 years old....and this year, suddenly, everything went to h...

This winter, we had lots of cold, warm, snow, thaws,  over and over again.   When the pond finally thawed for the last time....it was a mess.   I couldn't see 1 inch down.  It was brown, green, and every color in between.   I started up the filters...and everyday, sometimes twice a day, I cleaned it.  Couldn't see any fish, couldn't figure out how they could survive....10 goldfish didn't - I think they got caught in between the layers of ice between the different thaws.
I was ready to fill it in, nothing I could do would help.  I even had someone who maybe could take my fish.  I finally drained half the pond (which is alot when you are on a well), and started using a cup of koi clay every day.  Finally one day, it was clear enough to almost see the bottom - full of leaves from all the winter winds, a lawn chair (don't know who's it was), and algae of every kind you could think of, then some.

It took over a month of cleaning every day, rain or shine,  shop vacing every day, to finally get it clean. I then refilled it, and then went thru the green pea soup.  Today, its finally clear.

I don't care what anyone says,  sometimes it takes time, alot of time, to get it right.

Hang in there......it eventually does get better.

Karyl

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 10:13:31 AM »
Jen, I hope things are going better for you today. Be sure to post and let me know if any of my suggestions helped.

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2007, 12:58:11 PM »
Got up early went to the grocery store and to Eldridge's to get everything. We haven't done anything yet it is awful hot out there. Just took a stroll around the yard the fall is barely putting out so maybe when we change the pipe and hose it'll be okay. Found all the parts thank God cause I was afraid they wouldn't have something and got THE RIGHT SIZE this time. Lily pond looks okay have 3 blooms. Remember my promise...... 8)

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2007, 08:14:39 PM »
I quit smoking cigarettes 3.5 years ago, does that count?

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Bonnie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2007, 08:18:35 PM »
LOL at Sean...

Hey I've got you beat, I quit 23 yrs ago! ;)

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2007, 08:45:38 PM »
Jen,

John Johns has a multitude of beneficial information on his website that will help you and Shep in these beginning stages of development with your new lily ponds.

I wish I could help more but I have been unavailable between my vacation to California and my Graveyard shifts at the hospital since my return.

Bonnie,

I only smoked for 26 years, you certainly have me beat :ok:

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2007, 05:22:34 AM »
I'm sending you good vibes Jen. Hope it works! :)

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2007, 08:10:42 AM »
Thanks you all. Sean and Johns I will be on Johns site shortly  and will bookmark it. I just got my sorry butt up. We stayed up late last night with a sick puppy. I stopped smoking in August 1997. How many of us have gained weight from it? I did!

Shae....I hope to get things going today. I haven't even been outside yet and it is almost 11:30.  lol

Oh PS.....the problem is if DH would do it right the first time everything would be okay.  :o Now he tells me to go do it. I LOVE THAT MAN I REALLY DO.  o(:-)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2007, 12:58:32 PM »
Jen-

I hope your puppy is o.k.!!
Gosh, Husbands can be .....um, let's say DIFFICULT? Shall we? haha! What on earth would we do without them though? Mine is finally learning though, so there is hope! After almost 17 years of marriage he has realized that if he plants a shrub/tree etc for me, I will UNDOUBTABLY say I need it to be 6 inches this way or that, so NOW he digs a big enough hole for it to be moved around to my liking the FIRST time!  lol
Kathy

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2007, 01:02:05 PM »
Can I ask what size pipe that you were using in the beginning which didn't work?

3/4 Bonnie

Offline GAjen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2007, 01:04:14 PM »
Jen-

I hope your puppy is o.k.!!
Gosh, Husbands can be .....um, let's say DIFFICULT? Shall we? haha! What on earth would we do without them though? Mine is finally learning though, so there is hope! After almost 17 years of marriage he has realized that if he plants a shrub/tree etc for me, I will UNDOUBTABLY say I need it to be 6 inches this way or that, so NOW he digs a big enough hole for it to be moved around to my liking the FIRST time!  lol

I think we finally have the same ideas in tact. Marco is better bless his heart.....thanks.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"