Author Topic: Look what was flying around the ponds today as I was fertilizing the lilies  (Read 3521 times)

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
This lovely dragonfly was flying around the large pond today as I was working. It kept landing on the Thalia so when I was done I got out the camera and shot a few cool photos. It was windy today but here's the best shot I could get.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
That is a nice shoot!! @O@

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Very nice shot... good focus.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
That is a terrific photo.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Thanks! I really enjoy watching these guys fly around the ponds. Today there was this one and another smaller one. This one was the prettiest of the two.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Kewl...I had one like that today, too.  For the past year and a half, all of them have been a reddish color.  Then today I saw one that was black and white like that.  what a coinkydink!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Loritx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
WOW!!! AMAZING!!!

I have had lots of Blue and Floresent Orange ones. But the most common are small and brownish.

Today when I was cleaning the Skimmer Filter I found what I 'assume' was a Dragonfly nymph.  Kind of had that dragonfly head and long body, so I carefully picked it off the filter and put it in one of the pots in the pond!!  It seemed happy when it hit the water - who knows how long it was on the filter.

My Grandson (8) was playing with one of the Orange ones and was able to sneek up on it and catch it!! Boy was that one very mad Dragonfly!! Good thing they dont Bite!!!  It was safely set free, but I bet he dont come back soon.
Lori TX

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
Your dragonfly is new to me and it's beautiful  ;)  Fab shot, too O0

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
I hate it when I find them dead in the swimming pool. :(
They're so cool...

Nice pix!

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
Great picture ! Most the one's around here are green or blue.
bonnie

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
That's a great picture, and a beautiful dragonfly.  I've never seen one that color. 

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Oh, he's very cool! Nice shot! O0
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
That is a wonderful photo!!!!   O0
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Your pic is great, and that dragonfly is a beauty.  One of my most favorite things about a pond is the dragonflies.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline vmckague

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/04/2007
    • View Profile
I remember when I was a young kid,  early 1950's, my grandmother always called them snake doctors. It wasn't untill I started school that I was taught the correct name.  Anyone else ever heard them called that name before?

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
I remember when I was a young kid,  early 1950's, my grandmother always called them snake doctors. It wasn't untill I started school that I was taught the correct name.  Anyone else ever heard them called that name before?
Yep that is what my Memaw calls them too....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline thepitclub

• Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    • View Profile

Yes! I remember my grandmother calling them snake doctors. She was the youngest of thirteen, from the backwoods of Shelby County, Ala. She also called them "pee-in-your-eyes"; I still wonder where both names came from.
 :thinking:
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Shae

• Members
    • View Profile
Wow! I've never seen one like that before. Very nice shot. I love dragonflies!

Offline thepitclub

• Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    • View Profile
 ;D I almost forgot, BEAUTIFUL pic!!

(I AM going to get a nice camera one day!  :-\ )
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
Hey that is a great shot! I spend half a day sometimes looking for a good shot and a good subject. I posted several in  the "day on andy's pond" thread and this one is as striking and interesting as any. Nice shot! Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
Suitable for framing there Maryvonne. Awesome shot.

Like most everyone else, mine are orange or blue, and up til this momemt thought that good.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline GAjen

• Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    • View Profile
Beautiful, all we have here is those ugly blue ones.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Never saw one like that.  A real beauty.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
 O0 O0 I've never seen a black and white dragonfly either but since BlindToo is south of me and you are north of me then there is still hope I will get to see one.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
Since photographing Dragonflies has become my new hobby I needed to know what type this one was. What you have there is  :) Libellula pulchella  :)
http://odonatacentral.bfl.utexas.edu/gallery/images/Libellula%20pulchella/index.htm

Again nice shot O0
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
Wow, wonderful shot of a gorgeous dragonfly. O0 O0 O0

Joann

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
That is one beautiful shot! It looks 3D.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I worked hard to get this shot. It's interesting to hear some of the names you people have for dragonflies. Thanks for letting me know what this guy's name is El Jefe. I was going to look it up. We just called these guys the biplane dragonflies as kids. This one isn't always around but there are lots of them this year. We also have lots of brown and a few red dragonflies. I am still trying to get a photo of the red ones but they move fast and don't sit for long.

Thanks again,

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
I'll Say those reds are fast, I made the unfortunate attempt to try and catch one in flight, (just trying something new) after about an hour trying and only two pictures to show for it I gave up. This was the best one (so Far) Andy

Offline jax

• Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
This lovely dragonfly was flying around the large pond today as I was working. It kept landing on the Thalia so when I was done I got out the camera and shot a few cool photos. It was windy today but here's the best shot I could get.

Maryvonne
Jax

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"