Author Topic: Yacht Lady removed from membership as requested  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Yacht Lady removed from membership as requested
« on: July 07, 2007, 08:32:22 PM »
Yacht Lady removed from membership as requested by herself. Request by member kept on file.

All members are warned to consider purchasing from a reputable source. American Ponders does "NOT" validate this former member as a reputable source for trades or sales.

Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Yacht Lady removed from membership as requested
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 10:52:48 PM »
The right thing was done.  Numerous complaints.  Sure we all can foul up, but her stories were contradicting.  PMs to some members had very different claims than others.
Her last letter played the "Handicapped Card" Johnnie Cochran would be proud! {nono}
We feel for anyone handicapped or in distress, But this has nothing to do with her way of doing business.
Heck she has claimed selling 6000 plants here and on another site.  That is pure bull.
As they say, "do the math."  Any business person getting a free ride here would protect the heck out of the membership!
By asking to be banned, she won't be burdened with requests for refunds.

This is episode is over! {-)

Oh yeah, she does write well!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 01:05:38 AM »
All I will say is...........Bugs Bunny.....

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 04:28:28 AM »
Thanks for the heads up!  I was confused myself as to her description of selling/trading so many plants when I had not seen a posted list of what was being offered in the trade section. 

I've learned that if you are unsure about the transaction, ask to see a photo of the person's pond/garden where the plant(s) are growing.  With digital cameras so inexpensive now, even a camera phone, pictures should be made available.  You can get a better sense of what the person is offering.

Thanks for having the feedback option.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline GAjen

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 08:17:17 AM »
This board doesn't need all of that DRAMA! Let's all be happy. Funny the theme from Sesame Street is running through my head.

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 09:26:41 AM »
Hmm, looks like I missed the drama!  Apparently a good thing.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 10:04:23 AM »
She joined last year and offered a ton of named hostas at great prices. Said she was moving to a yacht and wanted them to go to good homes or something similar. I can't remember exactly but the gist was she wanted to sell her plants as she was selling her house and moving to a yacht. The original thread seems to be lost during the hacking but I remember reading it.

Apparently a ton of people ordered and she got behind in digging, packing and shipping and some did not get their orders until this year. Then there was confusion in what was ordered, what was shipped and what was paid for and general bad feelings about it on both sides. There is a thread on the last page of the trade section that is the source for this information I'm posting.

She then posted an unspecific rant about someone ripping her off and it was clear who she meant from the feedback she left which also did not specify what exactly happened. She got upset at the reaction to her thread and feedback and the questions she was asked and asked to be removed from membership.

The whole mess could have been avoided if money was returned last year and people told that there were too many orders to fill in a timely fashion.  ::)

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 11:07:23 AM »
I remember someone on the GW plant exchange (not this person) making so many exchanges and being so unorganized that she got many complaints.  She always had excuses for her trades being weeks late and not responding to e-mails: sick Aunt; hot weather; never received your e-mail etc...  Many people also defended her as a good trader but they were obviously the ones that she got her trade through to...

I've heard it said many times and I agree;  Communication is extremely important.  Be specific in what you want or what you are selling.  Know what you have agreed to and keep everyone informed as to what's going on.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 11:21:45 AM »
This whole ordeal reminds me of a gentleman I spoke to a few years ago about exhasut headers for my car.

The guy was a very kind, very fair, very reasonable, and very friendly older gentleman.  It also turned out that he was the only game in town, or the country for that matter, who made headers for this specific engine.  There were lots of people interested in them, and lots of people who were waiting for them since they had sent their money in advance.

I spoke to the guy, and in our conversation he had mentioned that he was a little behind, but was working on a new design.  He asked me for pictures and measurements, and I put up a web page so that he could access everything...with drawings, pictures and details.  He was going to send me a preliminary set to test fit, and I'd send it back and he'd have his jig set up.

After about a year of him hemming and hawing, nothing happened and he basically told everyone that he wasn't getting any help from anyone on the new design.  What?!?  I was very helpful, what was he talking about?  I was going to be his west coast distributor and he was going to send me 20 sets to sell.  I was also still, after 1.5 years, waiting for my original headers to be sent out COD, and they still hadn't been shipped.  I learned from others with the same engine that he still owed headers to a few people going on three years, and they were getting pissed.

So he collected money, disconnected his phone, and closed down his website with several hundred dollars that wasn't his since he neglected to fill orders.  I was rather upset and kept in contact with several people, and then there were someone who said, "I got mine yesterday, it only took two weeks.  Give me your name and address and I'll make sure he sends yours out COD."  People jumped at it, and a month later even that "special" person couldn't get an answer and now people were mad at him, too.  

So I got an idea...he wouldn't answer my phone calls, nor my emails, so I called and gave friends name and address, never letting on that it was me, and guess what?  Two weeks later I got my original headers COD!  So if you knew him or had been talking to him he did nothing about it, but if you just places an order and never talked to him again you would get your order right away.

Several people contacted the authorities and even private investigators to track him down.  To this day people are still out a couple hundred dollars and are too far away to sue him, so they lose out.

The funny part to this whole story is that every time I had mentioned to someone about how he ripped people off, there was always someone coming to his defense claiming, "but he's a really nice guy".

Let's see: lie and steal from your customers, make promises you can't keep, ask for help and then claim nobody is helping you, lie some more, change your phone number, change your email, and then keep money people paid you several years ago.  Yeah, real nice guy!  {-)

Oh yeah, and by the time I finally got around to putting my headers on my car, there was someone else making headers and I loaned them my car for the test fitting since they're close by and got a nice set at cost.  My original headers that took me two years to get?  I put them on ebay and in less than two hours someone bought them at twice what I paid for them.  If I had let the auction go, people were paying even more and I could have made about $400 profit.  How's that for irony?

I guess the whole point is that it doesn't matter how nice you are to people you aren't doing business with, what matters is how nice you are to the people who are sending you money.   O0
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Monica

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 07:14:14 AM »
I aparently missed it too but I was informed about it because aparently I was being discredited.  First off I never complained even though the starts were very small and barely had any roots and a couple were mushy and many are still not growing.  Second I didn't ask for more of anything I paid for my plants about $150.  Plus i sent her the extra to cover paypal cost she asked me for.  She got mad when I asked her to identify two of them because they were labeled one thing on the paper and another on the baggie the roots were in.  I got some nasty emails and then she wanted me to send her a hosta that i paid $15 for a start of back to her because she thought she sent me too big of a start and i said no way. 

I heard the handicapp story many times as to why my plants didn't get sent plus I got the poor story with no electicity for over a year now.  So how do you have internet?  It just really upsets me that someone is trying to drag my name through the mud over something so stupid.

I don't want people to think i am the kind of person that she was trying to make me out to be.  Like I said I never seen the thread so I don't really know what all she said but it isn't true.  I just thought I should try to clear my name and hope no one belived her lies.

Monica
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 10:07:04 AM »
Monica, you are not alone.  Small loss!  Many new members since her banning!
ADIOS Yacht Lady.  Think about changing your name!  Drop the "Lady."
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 10:15:17 AM »
Here, Here Jerry!   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :-)~

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 10:22:26 AM »
ThANKS KIM, I HATE TO GET TERSE HERE, BUT, WHO NEEDS THIS? {nono} {nono}
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 10:23:42 AM »
Monica,
  Most of us members are good about trusting others here on the forum. I'm glad the right person was exposed here by Jerry and Sean.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 10:33:06 AM »
Gee I missed all the drama as well.

Some of us older members might remember back on AWGS Anna? She had an Autistic  son, (forget his name) people were so nice to her. She got so far behind in trades she said that their pond and her son's favorite fish were lost some how? Tornado maybe? Someone was nice enough to send her son a new fish, like the one he lost. Sent her plants and turned out she was a fraud. Maybe she's back? People like this are disgusting trash.

Offline joeyb5980

• Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2007, 11:13:02 AM »
she wanted me to send her a hosta that i paid $15 for a start of back to her because she thought she sent me too big of a start

Are you freaking kidding me?!  This yacht lady surely was nuts.  I noticed she said on her way out that she would stick to koiphen where everyone was polite, blah, blah, blah... but when I looked, there is no registered user on koiphen by the name yacht lady... wonder what her username is over there?  I don't want to get cheated and discredited by her in the future.  Sorry that you got mixed up with the wrong person Monica- hopefully that will be the only nasty trading/buying experience you have on here  :)
Joey

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2007, 11:28:44 AM »
I think Anna faked her autistic son too and not just her death...... >:( I had a really hard time believing she had faked her death to get out of sending plants back to traders but the facts were facts and she finally admitted it. People were ready to send money for her son too. What a freaking mess. Someone sent her son koi which must have cost a bundle. I bet she doesn't even feel bad for deceiving people.....

As for Yacht Lady, I don't remember what her old handle was or know what she uses on Koiphen. Maybe someone else does?

If I paid someone $150 for plants there is no way I'd wait a year for them to ship! I'd have reversed the PayPal payment for item not received but if one sent a check one is out of luck unless the person does ship. What a mess.

Monica, you were not the only one who was unhappy in their buying, I know of two others who wanted to remain anonymous. I just hope there aren't more people from this year being ripped off too.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2007, 11:48:23 AM »
Nancy,
I was trying to remember Anna's name.  I remember the story!
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2007, 12:08:12 PM »
Monica's Feedback rating has been reinstated, it is obvious who the cheat here was.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 12:39:50 PM »
 O0  @O@
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 02:26:10 PM »
Wow, Monica. That's a lot of moolah, you certainly have every right to be mad.

I remember Anna Burt. In addition to all the generous gifts she got, she wasn't sending the plants she was supposed to, to people who had paid her. She did come clean (if you can call it that) by writing a public apology to the forum. But I think that was only after she was threatened with a Mail Fraud charge.

She was found out to be alive and well by a top-secret, top-notch, investigative team of highly skilled water gardeners.  ;)  {-)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 03:06:36 PM »
I think Anna faked her autistic son too and not just her death...... >:( I had a really hard time believing she had faked her death to get out of sending plants back to traders but the facts were facts and she finally admitted it. People were ready to send money for her son too. What a freaking mess. Someone sent her son koi which must have cost a bundle. I bet she doesn't even feel bad for deceiving people.....

As for Yacht Lady, I don't remember what her old handle was or know what she uses on Koiphen. Maybe someone else does?

If I paid someone $150 for plants there is no way I'd wait a year for them to ship! I'd have reversed the PayPal payment for item not received but if one sent a check one is out of luck unless the person does ship. What a mess.

Monica, you were not the only one who was unhappy in their buying, I know of two others who wanted to remain anonymous. I just hope there aren't more people from this year being ripped off too.

That's right. I had forgotten about the dying part. And Karen J that was her last name. Ahhh it's coming back now. LOL Yep we had a real "secret top notch" investigative team that caught her in the end.  O0 Think we need to get them back and catch THIS one.  lol

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 03:10:35 PM »
We are taking up a collection for the wife of the "Unknow Solider" ::)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 06:03:03 PM »
Nancy, It IS coming back! Amazing how our memories work sometimes. Now I'm remembering that her user name was "Snowbird" or something like that.

Another thing I remember is the way she wrote. No capital letters, run on sentences, etc.

I can't remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday, but I remember this stuff?! Strange!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 06:23:58 PM »
Wasn't it her "brother" who made contact with someone or with the forum to advise of her untimely demise?

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 06:59:15 PM »
yeah Mike, he is the "unknown Solider." @O@ @O@ 8) 8)<<<< Star!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 07:43:30 PM »
Yah, yah, I remember her. I embroidered a hand towel for her "autistic" son. Remember the Koi he loved so, was a blue one and somebody located one for him. So I put the kid's name on the towel and did a blue Koi. She told me he had a collection of special towels and had towel bars around his room to display them. GRRR!!!

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 07:44:29 PM »
It was Kathie from Idaho that arranged for her koi club to send the koi...

Kathie, Lynn T, myself and I believe another person or two corresponded and found out that yes Anna was alive.

Lynn's job sure helped because she had connections! :)     
We were in contact with neighbors, local police, etc..   
? Someone? ( I'm thinking a relative of Lynn's)   went to Anna's house for us! 

I even spoke to one of her neighbors by searching online and got their phone number.. they were super!

We did find out that Yes, there was a boy that lived in the house but it was assumed this was not a son but possibly a grandchild.    I don't think he was autistic but did have some type of disability.

It was Anna's so called Husband that posted on the forum because I sent a bogus email saying that the forum would like to do something in her honor, blah, blah.  "He" had one excuse after another that it was not needed and that Anna was a private person and wouldn't want that.

Finally after figuring out that Anna was indeed alive, I emailed "her husband" again and told him/her that I was going to be contacting the police and postal system for mail fraud.     After a few emails, I was contacted and sure enough received a money order for plants which I had sent her!

I wish I could remember the whole ordeal...... 

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 07:54:56 PM »
Wow, I am truly amazed at what I am reading :thinking: How do people like that live with themselves? I am glad that Sean and Jerry sniffed this one out as well as the other members that called her out.
    Monica it sounds like she set out to do you wrong and got bit by her own bad decision. Glad it got exposed before you got a bad rap. I think  I would have reversed the whole Paypal as well had it taken that long. I have had so many good experiences with forum members that it is hard for me to imagine getting taken for a ride here. Guess it is stuff like this that keeps you on your game.  Good job one and all. Monica, you were definitely the bigger person on this one.

Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 08:06:18 PM »
Andy, there all all kinds..
Luckily this is a rare thing to happen.

Everyone should speak up if they have a bad situation like this happen..  it's possible that Sean and Jerry could have put an end to things sooner.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"