Author Topic: What kind of fish is this....  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What kind of fish is this....
« on: July 10, 2007, 01:33:09 PM »
Well we finally got the water to clear up and we can finally see our fish again.  @O@  o(  @O@
Once that happened we ended up finding 2 smaller (baby?) black fish.  I don't know what they are.  :thinking:
I know these aren't the best  pictures but it was the best I could do. I thought koi babies have color in them at a very early age and goldfish babies start turning orange fairly early....so what are these?   ?)(?  All we have in the pond are koi and goldfish.

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of fish is this....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 01:51:55 PM »
Looks more like a goldfish than koi, but hard to tell. Does it have barbs on it's mouth like the koi? I read somewhere koi and goldfish will hybrid, which makes an ugly fish that grows really fast- a hybrid maybe?
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Daisy

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 02:11:16 PM »
I could of sworn that I saw barbs on them once but its so hard to tell now  :-\

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 03:11:01 PM »
Could be mules (off spring of koi and goldfish) if you have both koi and goldfish in the same pond. Look for the barbles if they have them they are koi. Goldfish can sometimes take a couplel years to change color.

Mules are infertile and can not reproduce.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 03:29:08 PM »
It looks a lot like my paradise fish.  From the top, they are the blackest blue, and mine is quite fattish.  It has a shape very similar to yours. 

Paradise fish do have red color on the tips of their fins, and more color on their bodies, if you could only see them from the sides.  They eat mosquitoes, and I get them at the pond store. 

Perhaps your hitched a ride with some plants you bought????

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 05:07:39 PM »
Sure looks like a goldie to me.. I've had some that didn't start changing colors until they were approx. 5-6".

Is this one maybe 3-4"?  If so, you should be able to see the barbels pretty easy at that size. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 05:37:26 PM »
Look like goldfish to me too.  I have some like that, and the black ones were velvety like that.  One of them has started changing colors and is calico now, it's probably around 3 years old.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Daisy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 05:44:39 PM »
Your right Bonnie..I would have to say about 4" or so right now. On one of them I can see a slight orange color on the top fin.. but....I just don't know.  :-\

Julles...I don't know what Paradise fish look like? But anything is possible I guess. I did get an order of water hyacinth last year from Ebay. Altho I buy them from him every year..ya just never know.  o(  o(

Offsprings of koi and goldfish...a possibility for sure.... :o

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 10:36:11 PM »
 It is a goldfish. Not all goldfish turn orange right away. As time goes by, more and more will take longer to turn or not turn at all. Breeders would cull them.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"