Author Topic: Does anyone know a treatment for  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Does anyone know a treatment for
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:48:48 PM »
nettles? I was weeding today for a friend and didn't notice that this 5.5' plant was nettles. My palm and fingers are stinging, the plant tipped down as I pulled it up and whipped across the back of my left arm and the outside of my left thigh so that is all tingling/stinging too. I just wondered if there was something I could put on it to stop the irritation. Maybe I'll do a Google.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know a treatment for
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:57:20 PM »
I use "Campho-Phenique" a cold sore gel for any itches or stings from bugs or plants (hate thorns in the foot).  It works right away for me  :)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:37:04 PM »
If you are sure that it was 'stinging nettle', then maybe some Benadryl would help. I am definitely not a Dr, it's just a suggestion if you are absolutely sure that it was stinging nettle. Call the Dr. if it doesn't get better soon!

I get the same thing when I work around Juniper. Ouch! That is nasty stuff. I hope you feel better.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 10:49:37 PM »
I'm sorry I don't remember what my mother did when I was a kid I was always in them. Benedryl sure helps my mosquito bites and bee stings. I think it would help any allergic type reaction.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Sandye

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 11:01:47 PM »
I use Benadryl gel for all itches.  It works better than most other anti-itch medicines and it isn't greasy and won't stain your clothes.   O0

It wouldn't hurt to take a Benadryl capsule as well.  Good Luck! 

Offline Viv

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:15:05 AM »
When I was a kid and we got stung by stinging nettles (pretty frequently!), there was nearly always a dock plant growing close by. Crush the leaves, rub them over the affected area, and relief is instantaneous!  Not sure what the Latin name is though, so maybe you wont recognise it.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 06:10:27 PM »
Yup Viv, I Googled and learned about Dock. Also Plantain is supposed to help. Then I saw the listing of the contents of the stinging stuff and it said histamins so I decided an antihistamin would work. We don't have much medicine chest stuff. I did find some mosquito bite stuff I use for the kids and tried that. Then I found sunburn Aloe spray, pain killer. Either they worked or maybe the sting time had run out, but I slept OK. This morning I could see the welts and feel the stinging a bit but it is fine now. I hate those things.

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 06:37:11 PM »
Aloe plant...  The sword fern..or it is the other fern?  it's the one that grows on a stalk rather than like a bush.  Crush the stem and use the juice.
Mary

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 07:34:12 PM »
Ouch Esther, hope its getting better.  I had to go look up Nettles, I didn't know what it was.  I've often heard it talked about on the news with allergens the nettle and such being high.  But it sounds like the Benadryl is the route to go after reading about it.

I got stung July 3rd by a wasp between my thighs in two different places.  Glad I had jeans on, or it might have went up my short leg and I would have really been in trouble.

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 05:44:30 AM »
KIM :o That must have hurt something fierce.

The nettle sting is pretty strong but bearable. Some of the sites said the pain lasts 1 hour but I'd like to correct them to, pretty irritating for 12 hours and still could feel it, but less, maybe 24-30 hours later.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 10:11:47 AM »
Hi Esther, we used to find ourselves in stinging nettles quite often when we were kids.  If we were beside a stream or the swamp we would wade in and the burn would fade pretty fast.  We also used to rub burning spots with dock leaves but water was always our first choice.  Now, I don't run into so many nettles anymore.  emm

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"