Author Topic: Mysterey Frog or Toad.  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Mysterey Frog or Toad.
« on: July 11, 2007, 08:26:06 AM »
Just like last year , when I go out in the evening  and there he is, but quick as a flash, he leaps into the pond.  Too dark and too quick to tell much.  he seems close to bullfrog size, but may be a dark brown color.

I have had tadpoles, but little luck.  They were supposed to be Leopard frogs, this critter is sure not!
What is your guess?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterey Frog or Toad.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 09:01:02 AM »
Ummm ...uh  really kinda hard to tell without a picture of him.   {:-P;;  :D

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:13:31 AM »
Jerry.. your gonna think I am crazy for talking to frogs but all of the ones I use to have, even the bullfrogs you can talk to them or rather croak. 

when we would eat outside on the screened porch when we would be sitting down to eat and pull the metal chair up under us on the table, it would make a sound against the cement floor and the frogs croacked  back every time.. it took us a while to figure out what was going on.  But if you can make sounds like a frog all of mine would answer.  hehehe.. but you could get commited if your neighbors see you sitting by your pond croacking... they will think the mrs. found her prince :)

tinkster

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:56:04 AM »
If it's a bullfrog, you'd better catch him - and QUICK!  Bullfrogs get HUGE and they good at catching - and swallowing - FISH!

Speaking of talking to frogs and toads, Texas has the Texas Amphibian Watch, where you pick an area, and over many months, make a note of the number of frogs and toads you hear calling.  They provide you with a CD that will teach you to identify the calls of each species (yeah, suuuure!  ;) ), and how to tell how many are croaking at one time.

Actually, you dont' have to know the specific number.  They just want to know if it's a solitary toad, or a small group, or a large group.

You're going to spend time out in your yard anyway, so it's a pleasant way to pass 15 minutes once a week, making note of what you hear. 

Texas is interested in amphibians in all parts of the state, from rural to inner city.

I signed up and got all the paraphanalia in '05, but then was in a bad auto wreck, with long-lasting legal hassles, so never got to spend time on the Watch.  All that is over, so now would be a good time to get back to that.  Besides,,, there seems to be many more varieties of critters out there now - several types of tree frogs, and at least the one common Gulf Coast Toad.  All the more fun to listen to and jot down!

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:52:23 AM »
Jerry-
The leopard frogs up here in Mi aren't as large as bullfrogs. 
Kathy

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 11:03:38 AM »
Does it look like either one of these?

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Frog or Toad.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »
If I could see it well enough to take a photo i would.  It appears to be nocturnal if that helps.
I can't get within 40 feet of it!.  Looks like it's brown too, but in the low level light I can't be sure.
I have seen many Bullfrogs, so I'm 99% sure this is not one.
Ill try a flashlight, maybe it will freeze him? >:(-
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 03:53:37 PM »
Leopard frogs do not get as large as bullfrogs, but they seem to be MUCH faster. In my experience they also are much easier startled. On the back forty here, the bullfrogs by the large drainage ditch/ waterway will just sit quietly as you walk up, and only jump in if you get too close. The leopard frogs, on the other hand, you rarely even see- all you will hear is a big splash as you get within a few yards of the water.

We have a wireless outdoor surveillance system we purchased at Sam's Club last year (with night vision). When we first installed it, I used to dump leftovers in the yard and point one of the cameras there. It was fun to watch which wildlife critters would show up after dark. (I quit because DH complained I was attracting vermin. Spoil-sport. ;D )
I was thinking this would be a good way to check out your your frog, but the quality of the video feed might be to poor to actually identify what kind of frog he is. Just a thought.
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 06:34:45 PM »
Pit, I grew up in PA with leopard frogs.  This sure isn't one.  He may have arrived on his own, not likely since water here is rare, or my tadploes nade it, at least one!
Ill try "Jacklighting" tonight.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline obsessed-nj

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 08:43:34 PM »
Maybe African clawed frog ...or California red-legged frog? Does he croak or 'talk' at all? That should help ID him if he does. Both of these get pretty big and the African clawed is primarily nocturnal, so maybe?

Offline karen J

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 09:28:35 PM »
One week.

That's how long it will take to train your frog. Once you "tame" it, you will be able to ID it.

Every time you approach your pond, bring a worm and throw it (as best you can) to the frog location. After a couple of days, it will associate you with food. After a couple more days, it wont run away. After a couple more days, it will wait for you.  :)  Pretty soon after that, you'll be able to pick it up.

This works. If I so much as bring a shovel and start digging anywhere by my pond, the frogs all line up and wait. They know I'm the food lady.  ;) The down side, of course, is that I must be VERY careful with that shovel.  ;)

Try it! It's fun to fool with frogs. ;D

All the neighborhood kids bring me frogs and toads... they think (automatically) that they belong in a pond. It's cute!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 11:32:58 PM »
Karen  you have educated me!  I had no idea.  I did not see him out there this eve, but I will have some worms ready.  He is so spooky though.  he may not be there long enough to see me as the food source.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"