Author Topic: What Causes Lousy Variegation on Arc en Ciel?  (Read 762 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
What Causes Lousy Variegation on Arc en Ciel?
« on: July 11, 2007, 06:02:34 PM »
I moved my Arc en Ciel from the upper pond to the lower pond this year, and notice that it's not nearly as variegated as it should be. Granted, I'm not policing  {-) my pads as much and letting them rot.  That wouldn't have anything to do with it though, right?

The lower pond (where it currently resides) is FULL sun, from morning til night. The upper pond is a tad more shaded.

What gives? I'm ready to toss this giant. Should I put it back to partial shade? That seems counterintuitive to me.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
Re: What Causes Lousy Variegation on Arc en Ciel?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:34:34 PM »
it does seem counterintuitive as an ample amount of light is normally needed for variegation. however there are other factors - of the traditional three - food, light and water, food would then be your next choice. it is possible you are not supplying it with the mix of fertilizer needed for strong pad production. if you're busy feeding heavy for blooms, you might not be getting enough nitrogen for good pads.

heat is sometimes a factor and hardies tend to like slightly cooler weather than what tropicals will thrive in. at a certain point getting too hot can be detrimental - especially to pads. at least that is what various people have said - i wouldn't know by experience as we never get that kind of heat here.

and yes, your not policing your pads could be a factor as well. any energy that a plant sends to maintain a dying pad is sucking it away from new growth. how well a pad gets started will effect the rest of its life. removing dying parts from any plant is a good idea for the healthiest plant possible.

lastly, anytime you move a plant it is possible for it to go into a mild shock or worse. it can take a while to adjust if the environments are very different.

if it was doing good before i would just move it back or wait it out to see if it adjusts. if you really want to get rid of it, offer it for trade or give it away here. i would gladly make room for another arc and i'm sure many newer ponders would love to have it for its unique pads. i mean, if you decide to toss it, make sure somebody catches it, right?  8)
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: What Causes Lousy Variegation on Arc en Ciel?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 10:06:45 PM »
"if you decide to toss it, make sure somebody catches it, right?  Cool"

Good point! Never thought of it that way. You're more than welcome to a piece you you'd like.

I'm thinking that the corner of the pond I put it in isn't quite as sunny as the rest. I divided and re-potted this spring, so I know it has lots of nutrients and a nice new pot. Gotta be the exposure...

Ah, well, I will put her back where she was before.  :)

Thanks, thedahlialama!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"