Author Topic: Suggestions for a nice, yet affordable digital camera?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Suggestions for a nice, yet affordable digital camera?
« on: July 13, 2007, 05:53:51 AM »
I'm starting to look for a new camera, but I am clueless as to what I'm looking for.  :-\
Any suggestions for an affordable cam that takes good pics would be greatly appreciated!
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Cindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a nice, yet affordable digital camera?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:14:58 AM »
For the price you can't get much better than this. 
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Canon-PowerShot-A550-Digital-Camera-Silver/sem/rpsm/oid/172696/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

This is the same camera I advised Esther to get.  I've owned 3 Canon's now and quite frankly will probably never own another brand. 
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 07:08:13 AM »
there are also quite a few of us who use different models from the Olympus line. any of them that have at least 3x optical zoom and 4.0 megapixals or more should suit your purposes and they can be found very reasonably online. they can be set to where the most complicated thing about them is holding the shutter button down half way while the camera focuses. but many will also allow you to take control of any or all of the variables that might also effect your pictures.

in a way i'm with Cindi - in that we have 2 Olympus, still using both, and wouldn't really consider getting another brand after our satisfaction with these.
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 08:35:07 AM »
I have an Olympus and really like it.  I find it pretty easy to use.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 08:48:11 AM »
Lots of great cameras out there now.  Just finding one that's a good as you can afford is easy.  I'm partial to Canon and Nikon.  Cindi's advice for the Canon PS A550 is a great deal.  Go to costco.com and check out the deals they have - usually they throw in more do-das than regular retailers and they're affordable plus they have a reportedly good tech help.

Good Luck!

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:11:12 AM »
I have a Canon Powershot as well- got the display model at Wally World on clearance for $98, and I think it does a fantastic job.  I haven't priced the Kodak Easyshares, but my neice just got one and I was amazed at all the cool features on it!
Joey

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 01:04:33 PM »
Thanks for the great input! I'm going ebaying to see what I can find.  O0
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline hillbillysrus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 02:40:53 PM »
If you don't mind internet shopping.  I highly reccomend newegg.com.  Their prices are always much lower than retail, even after you pay for shipping.
I've bought the stuff for my last 2 PC's and I just bought 2 digital cameras for work from them.
I've had no problems with them.

Alan

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »
I have an old Nikon Coolpix 995, which is 3.2 MP. It was purchased in 2000 or 2001 and has been the best camera!! Here's are some of my favorite photos...

Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"