Author Topic: A pleasant surprise ..  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Kristin F.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
A pleasant surprise ..
« on: July 13, 2007, 01:29:23 PM »
I just can't believe it .. really!

OK, bear with me LOL - you see, given my climate and temperatures ...

I NEVER EVER expected my Lilies to BLOOM!!!!

And now my N. Marliacea Rosea is opening a bud :)

N. Marliacea Rosea is my "favorite", it is the first Lilie I purchased and put in my old pond. It has been generous with leaves/pads, and just so pretty to look at.

It has golden stamens, and the pads appear in the color Maroon when they reach the surface, in a few days the pads change their colours to dark green.

I've had buds appear before - last summer actually - but they have never openend before.
We have had very sunny weather for the last month and the pond is in full sun from 7am to 6pm
The pond water temps have been stable at 68-72°F for a month, so I suppose that is making the difference.

oh, and instead of green algae - the pond has BROWN algae ..??
-what on earth is that for? LOL

TADA! Photos from today;

Now tell me - why does it close again at night?

..and Parrot Feathers from Marie Fernlady - I stuffed them in my suitcase together with my dirty laundry when I returned from my visit to the U.S.A. in May LOL

Reflections on a blank surface..

My view from the "working on my tan" mattress LOL

A blurry photo of my petite péche - brown algae you see..

oh, maybe it's in a blur because of my photograper skills

This is Nymphaea Laydekeri Lilacea, it is sending up lots of buds

Notice the little yellow Goldfish with the black stripe on it's back - I've never seen this colour combination before
..his name is Doff! (I name all my fish LOL)

just one more Fish photo - the butterfly Sanke is really gorgeous. Too bad the photo is a lousy one..

In this photo you can see the brown algae in the water - and on the surface of the skimmer.
I have actually changed filterpads and added more filtration and it's helping a bit.

I also added a remedy for green algae, and it is gradually clearing up the water..

I swear, this is what the sky looks like these days - actually for almost a month!
-oh, except for the helicopter LOL

Another "Fleur de Bloom" in the garden

AND - my Laburnum is about to bloom too! (also called Gold Chain Tree)

oh, I'm drowning you with photos .. am so flippin happy that I just can't restrain myself :)

it is my joy, I've been working for this moment for a whole year, right? LOL
I mean, a year ago when I was out here, digging in the rain, ..I knew.. just knew, that one day I would be sitting at a garden table under a parasol/sunshade, writing on my Lap-top and sipping something refreshing .. overlooking a gorgeous pond and waterfall, lovely green grass and plants.
Well, our good Lord has been generous - I'm wearing "small clothes" and it is almost as warm as Mississippi out here! LOL
-and for days on, really - it has been so delightfully sunny and warm for 3 weeks in a row - which is very unusual up here might I add.

I need to water the lawn and plants every other night.

You won't believe how pleased I am! Thank you God!!
-oh, I feel so blessed to have this home and beautiful garden ..
I'm planting lots of plants along the fences - oh, that might call for a new thread on the other side :).

By the way, I'm on vacation for 6 weeks! (State employment, you know, and I'm over 40 so xtra days also)
I started my vacation last Monday and will start working again in August 22nd.

I'm going to dangle my feet here while the weather is so great and there are lots of things to attend to inside & outside (mainly outside though LOL)
Then I might put my Bullie & Miss Fluffy in the back seat of my Volvo and take off somewhere ..
zone 8a

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: A pleasant surprise ..
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 01:54:42 PM »
Excellent post  8)  Congrats on the 1st beautiful bloom.  Your pond is set so naturally.  Love the bridge and fences.

Lucky you for all that vacation time.  Enjoy your time in your garden!!  8)

ps - How did you get so many pics on one post?  :o

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 02:40:06 PM »
I love white lilies! You can imagine how much I enjoy your view while tanning. I burn / get skin cancer while playing around mine.

Great photos!

. . . . and why was your visit to the East Coast, not West?

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 02:44:06 PM »
So very pretty! Sounds like "the life".
I'd give anything to have a vacation right now!!!  :suspect:
I've been working 60 hours a week and work has called me four times since I left today.  :swear:
Anyways, glad YOU are having fun!  :2thumbs:
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Monica

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 03:13:53 PM »
Lucky you,  it looks great
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 03:16:07 PM »
It has to be gratifying indeed to have those bloom!  Looking beautiful too.
Mike W. said it all.   "go west young lady!" 8)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 07:47:47 PM »
Your pond is beautiful! Enjoy your vacation :)

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »
Kristin, your lily bloom and photo are beautiful.  And what you have achieved with your pond construction and garden landscaping in just a year is nothing short of miraculous!  I love what you have done with your garden.   o(:-)  Happy holidays.  emm

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 12:55:17 AM »
It's beautiful Kristen!!  I remember when you were out there digging and there was no fence and no pond and no plants, it has turned out more spectacular than I could have imagined.  Enjoy your beautiful yard, you deserve it.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 05:30:27 AM »
That is positively gorgeous!  I like it floating regally all by itself, the showpiece of the pond. Congratulations!

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 07:57:39 AM »
Fantastic! Anticipation can  really make the actual event even more spectacular! Congratulations
 O0 O0
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 08:46:24 AM »
Kristen, Your pond is amazing. Hard to believe you did that in one year. The lily is very pretty and I hope it continues to bloom all summer. Wonderful photos.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 10:34:14 AM »
Kristin, what a paradise you have made for yourself, AND it's in your own backyard!!  Nothing quite like the feeling you get (satisfaction, accomplishment, pride, contentment) in working hard on a project and seeing it produce so beautifully!  You have a beautiful home, and you have made it your own! 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"