Author Topic: Limestone and GH  (Read 1447 times)

Offline laurw

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Limestone and GH
« on: July 13, 2007, 07:18:51 PM »
DH and I have been adding chunks of cured plaster of paris (aka 'pH pills') to our pond from time to time, especially after large rainfalls, to harden our pond water and it works beautifully when we keep up with it.

But forget for a week or two, the GH plummets and all the snails disappear.

I understand that additions of natural limestone rock are a good longer lasting water hardener.

Can anyone corroborate this? How much should we add to an 1800 gal. pond with a low/moderate fish load?

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Limestone and GH
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 07:35:54 PM »
I was always told limestone wasn't good for the pond , so I never put any in.
bonnie

Offline laurw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 06:16:35 AM »
Really?? What's wrong with it?

Offline models916

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 06:45:46 AM »
Where is your PH? Keep it at 7.5 and all will be fine.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 05:37:06 PM »
Yeah, what is wrong with limestone? For those of you who have bought Wal-Mart water plants, they use crushed limestone in those bags to weight it down.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
We have Limestone rocks in the creeks around here . A friend told me to never use them
because they will eventually poision the fish . As far the plants I have no idea if it will hurt them or not.
bonnie

Offline laurw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 09:13:19 AM »
I read online that in areas with acid soil, pond farmers actually shovel crushed limestone over the surface of the pond to make nutrients available in the muck and thus eventually harvest a bigger fish load.

*scratching head*

OK, I don't know what to do now.

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 02:14:25 PM »
Limestone is alkaline so in areas where there is limestone laying around the water is also probably pretty alkaline so adding more would be bad.  But, in areas where the water is soft and the soil is more acid then adding limestone (which you probably wouldn't find laying around) would bring the GH up and make everything more neutral.  Does that make sense?

Here in the desert where there is limestone laying around and the water is very hard I wouldn't put any in the pond.  But up in the Oregon forests where the water is probably pretty soft and the soil is more acid, adding limestone to a pond might bolster the GH. 

Just a guess.

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 07:31:53 AM »
I have limestone in all my ponds and have for years.  No problems.  If anything, it helps prevent pH crashes.
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline bunny56lbc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 07:38:21 PM »
Limestone is alkaline so in areas where there is limestone laying around the water is also probably pretty alkaline so adding more would be bad.  But, in areas where the water is soft and the soil is more acid then adding limestone (which you probably wouldn't find laying around) would bring the GH up and make everything more neutral.  Does that make sense?

Here in the desert where there is limestone laying around and the water is very hard I wouldn't put any in the pond.  But up in the Oregon forests where the water is probably pretty soft and the soil is more acid, adding limestone to a pond might bolster the GH. 

Just a guess.

It make's sense to me! I've been told the water is hard around here , several people I know have water softners.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 07:00:19 AM »
Unless you are raising certain patterns of Koi, general hardness (GH) is pretty meaningless. My water comes from a well and the hardness is literally off the charts.

What is important is KH- Carbonate Hardness. KH is what buffers the water and prevents a pH crash. Limestone can be used, as well as crushed Oyster shells. Or Baking Soda. The myth that using certain kinds of stone in the pond comes from the fact that the pH may be naturally raised in that situation... but the trade off is better buffering. pH crashes kill fish, not consistently high pH. It's more important that the pH is stable, and buffering the water accomplishes that.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"