Author Topic: Lotus and lily question  (Read 889 times)

Offline vmckague

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lotus and lily question
« on: July 14, 2007, 03:34:16 AM »
Hi guys, This is my first year at ponding and have a couple of questions. First off my lotus that I planted this spring did really well and has had 3 blooms. Is that all for this year or will it keep blooming all year? Second basically the same question with my hardy lilies. Will they bloom all year or is it just a spring to early summer bloomer? On the lotus I cut off the  2 of the seed heads above water level thinking that dead heading would help produce more blooms. Is this correct or should I have let them alone? Also it seems the plant has stopped growing and is just setting there. It has sent up one small floater leave but that is it. Thanks for any help

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lotus and lily question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 03:59:21 AM »
Sorry I'm not the one to answer your questions (new at this too), but your pondscape is beautiful!
Everything looks so lush and healthy- love the waterfall too!  o(:-)
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 05:40:55 PM »
First thang. What teperature zone  or city are you in?Also, how often do you feed them?

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline vmckague

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/04/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
I'm in central Missouri zone 5. I've been feeding them about once a month. Thanks for the reply.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 07:41:38 PM »
Hey there.. I have one that is doing the same thing!  I believe she is Ms perry slocam.. she took off like a wild fire with huge huge leaves and two very early blooms, two flowers then almost no growth at all.  A few new pads is it.  This was her first year to.  I have 5 others and they are just now taking off and two of them have blooms that havent opened yet. 

Last year I had one that put two up very early in the season and didnt bloom any more but grew very well.. One didnt put up a bloom till very late in the season.  I am also very interested in if they flower more as they age and longer periods.. kind of alot of trouble for one or two blooms them gone .

Your pond is beautiful!

tinkster

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 08:12:35 PM »
vmckague, I'm not a Lotus expert, but have noticed that after they bloom, they're done for the season. No more blooms, and too much fertilizer may burn (or kill) them.

Hardy water lilies are different. As long as they have fertile soil and good sun, they will continue to put out blooms. Maybe not as many as the first flush, but the good bloomers keep on blooming. Sometimes they go well into October (zone 5 here). Keep the dead pads & blooms trimmed off for the best display.

In August, the sun changes it's angle and if you have tall trees to the south, they start shading the pond, and blooms decrease.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"