Author Topic: Skimmer ideas......  (Read 808 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Skimmer ideas......
« on: July 14, 2007, 06:26:02 PM »
Hubby told me to ask you guys for easy ideas on how to make your own skimmer. I checked the tutorial section just in case, nothing there. He looked at Greg's CD but said to ask you guys also. He's wanting as simple as he can do. He just got done draining the entire pond and repairing a hole a couple weeks ago.....ALONE......because me and both kids were working all day so he says 'keep it simple for this endeavor'. ;D

We have a 5000 gal. pond...18' x 15' x 2 1/2' deep, 20' stream and waterfall. Anything else you need to know?

Thanks!!!
Cath and hubby
zone 5b

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Skimmer ideas......
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 06:44:30 PM »
Cath,

I make all most all of my own pond equipment, all DIY stuff. But a skimmer, I would tell you to just buy one that is sturdy and find the best price you can.

What about filtration and pump size? Is this a new pond or an older remodel?

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 07:26:40 PM »
I couldn't find anything on it either and I couldn't find a skimmer small enough for the space I had at this new pond.  So, we are building one and we'll see if it works. 

The pond is underground walled with concrete blocks.  There is a lower area for the water to fall over, a sump that is longer than it is wide that the water will run through and then drop into a hole where some kind of filter will precede the pump.  Haven't got the filter part figured out but it could just be 2 screens with something between them.  This will be opposite the bog and the waterfall hopefully pushing the water into the skimmer.  It's a small pond, surrounded by the walls of the house and a concrete patio so we had little choice in the size and placement.  There just wasn't enough room for even the smallest skimmer I could find.

Here's where we are now.  We stopped working on it because we need to finish the remodel of the guest room inside so Mimi and I can move in there and get the transmission of our RV repaired.  We should be starting up again next week.

The main part of the pond will have liner and we will take the liner into the skimmer as best we can.  We also have some Pond Shield epoxy that we're going to use for the pump well and most of the skimmer.  We're also using it in the bog above the level of the liner.   The bog will be 2 - 3' above the pond.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 09:59:44 PM »
This is made from a  32 gallon Rubbermaid tub.   

This one is made from a laundry tub.

This skimmer filter was made from a laundry tub.   

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"