Author Topic: Remember your flag tomorrow  (Read 1523 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Remember your flag tomorrow
« on: September 10, 2006, 03:42:51 PM »
I know this isn't pond related but considering the importance for our country I thought it would probably be ok to post a reminder here for my fellow American ponders.

Since tomorrow is Sept. 11 be sure to fly your flag PROUDLY!!!!!!!

Cath
zone 5b

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Remember your flag tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 09:56:48 AM »
I put my flag out but was disappointed that not many of my neighbors did the same.  How quickly they forget.... :(
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 10:07:12 AM »
My flag was and still is out  :)

Offline goldenangel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 10:48:34 AM »
so true.  Now that it is not as fresh in everbodys minds we have lost touch with what brought us all together in the first place those terrible hours and days that followed.  We held services at our church and several other churches in town on Sunday and there was hardly a dry eye in sight.   So yes there are still those of us that still care.  I know our church in particular strives to make sure that it remains fresh in everybodys mind.  We will not forget.  After all who is going to teach the young kids what the importance of 9/11 means if we don't.

Central IL zone 5

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 11:36:53 AM »
I hung an extra flag,  I fly my flags proudly.  I kept a candle lit on my front porch and let it burn throughout the evening, and through out the night.  It was still burning at 6:00 am this morning, not once did the flame ever go out.  When I let the candle, I said a prayer over it.  ( Don't worry, there is plenty of rain, didn't have to worry about anything catching fire, I was so amazed this morning that it still had a small flame).  I even got on my neighbor late last night, and said am I the only one on the street remembering.  Guess he felt guilty, he went inside and brought out a candle on his porch.  I smiled.

My daughters elementary school had a moment of silence.  However, my boys middle school did not  >:(.  I couldn't believe that they couldn't take a moment out of the day.

Kimberly
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 11:58:58 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 12:19:42 PM »
I need to get a spotlight on mine so I can leave it up every day.

Thanks for the reminder, Cath.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:16:55 PM »
Mine fly proudly everyday!  Some pics from yesterday.

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 09:58:41 PM »
The documentary footage of a fire house on CBS was quite enlightening... Yes this one was actually the truth.

This is an excellent editorial:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/11/opinion/11mon1.html?ex=1158292800&en=3fb6a1885dda9390&ei=5087%0A

This is an excerpt:
"The time when we felt drawn together, changed by the shock of what had occurred, lasted long beyond the funerals, ceremonies and promises never to forget. It was a time when the nation was waiting to find out what it was supposed to do, to be called to the task that would give special lasting meaning to the tragedy that it had endured."
—NYT 9-11-06

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 10:19:47 PM »
We were only 1 of 2 houses that had a flag out in our neighborhood. My son goes to a Christian school and they acknowledged the day but I understand that most of the public schools in town didn't. I don't get that because flying the AMerican flag was not in any way a Christian thing it's a patriotic thing so the 'separating church and state' reason can not be used. A friend said "They acknowledge Earth Day, they can't acknowledge 9/11?"
Makes you wonder!!!
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Rocmon

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 12:02:05 PM »
The problem with the flag thing is one political party has opted to use it for it's own political gain,
without regard for what it really means to be patriotic. 

>:(- >:(- >:(-

I won't fly a flag because I refuse to align myself with the one political party and its' ideology.
We flew a flag for many days five years ago, before the new meaning was opted for the benefit of the one.

Our child was informed about the significance of the day at her public school... But I wouldn't know about all the other schools in town.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"