Author Topic: Sweaty Fish - Deodorant? Help!!  (Read 1620 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Sweaty Fish - Deodorant? Help!!
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:23:21 AM »
I've set up two kiddie pools full of lilies I've started to collect from our AP family.  Problem is: GF and minnows cannot survive the heat of the water.  It's been about 85* here and the water in the pools get pretty warm.  Even the lily pads seem a little cooked.

Fish look fine during the heat of the day but after night cool down where the water gets cold again I find dead fish in the morning. 

How do other K-pools enthusiasts handle this?  Especially those in the Sun-Belt.  Definitely designing new box pond.

Offline laurw

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Sweaty Fish - Deodorant? Help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 09:10:12 AM »
Is it feasible to sink the pool into the dirt a couple inches and mulch around it to keep it against cooler earth? I sink some of my potted plants that like cool roots 4-5 inches down, and it works well.

Another option is shade cloth.

Or maybe use tropical fish instead?

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 10:04:51 AM »
You may want to try an airstone overnight to see if that makes a difference.  My lily kiddie pool gets very hot & I haven't had any mosquito or goldfish deaths so far.  Good luck.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 11:10:34 AM »
I want to keep the lilies in the sun and where the pools are located I get about 6 hours direct.  So no shade cloth.  Will try air stone or run a fountain to circulate the water.  Need fish only because I don't need more blood sucking mosquitoes.  Dunks are $$.  Thanks Kat and Laurw.  8)

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 11:59:33 AM »
I have guppies in my lily pool (it's in the sun most of day). It's been in the 80's during the day and 50's at night lately. The guppies are flourishing, plus I have a ton of fry in there now.  :)
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 01:07:53 PM »
I'll check out guppies too.  If I remember correctly they multiply very easily  ;D 

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 02:08:51 PM »
Somewhere I read that plants put oxygen into the water during the day but they pull it back out at night.  I'm thinking that in a small amount of water with a lot of plants, the lilies are pulling all the oxygen out at night?  Also, I think that warm water holds less oxygen than cold water.  So, a spray fountain or some kind of aerator or bubbler might do the trick. 

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 07:55:31 PM »
Somewhere I read that plants put oxygen into the water during the day but they pull it back out at night
Yes that occurs. If you see fish...any fish sucking air at the surface in the early morning they are oxygen deprived.
Once you get decent pad coverage the temps will stay down.
Put some oxygenatore in the kiddie pools...anacharis, hornwart aka cabomba, etc.
It provides oxygen in the submerged wateras well as a hiding spot, a breeding spot and some shade until your pads fill in.
Each time I set up a new kiddie pond I grab a handful of anacharis from one of the others.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 08:00:37 PM »
So sad to see cooked bodies in the evenings but it seems whatever fish are left have really survived.  I will add more oxygenating plants in the lilies and fish.  Thanks everyone.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 09:01:19 AM »
What kiddie pool are you using? Most of them do get too warm to keep fish. The large 8 ft. snap sets do o.k. as they are deep enough that there is still a layer of cooler water near the bottom.
Get a small pump going in there to help with oxygen. Also, you can freeze water in gallon plastic milk jugs and then set them in the kiddie pool during the heat of the day.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 09:41:46 AM »
Finally got airstones going in both small kiddie pools.  Pump kinda strong but will try to make a cool water spray tower like I've seen in DesertPonders and elsewhere  ;)  Just more things to do, that's all  :D

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 11:10:43 PM »
I've set up two kiddie pools full of lilies I've started to collect from our AP family.  Problem is: GF and minnows cannot survive the heat of the water.  It's been about 85* here and the water in the pools get pretty warm.  Even the lily pads seem a little cooked.

Fish look fine during the heat of the day but after night cool down where the water gets cold again I find dead fish in the morning. 

How do other K-pools enthusiasts handle this?  Especially those in the Sun-Belt.  Definitely designing new box pond.

The problem is not the heat, but the lack of O2 overnight.  Plants take in oxygen at night and your fish are suffocating as the warm water doesn't hold as much o2 in the first place.  Oxygenator plants will not help at night as they do the same thing, but it may help keep the water from getting as warm. 

Mary

I've had 90 degree water before and goldies were fine, but had filtration and extra air.

Mary
Mary

Offline jools

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 11:20:43 PM »
as  already menioned it is definately a lack of oxygen you need an air pump and airstones going in the pond all the time I have 4 airpumps giving out 250 liters of air a minute into my pond and filters 24/7.......also dont forget for those filtering the pond the filter bacteria need to use oxygen too so they too may be suffering
jools

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"