Author Topic: woohoo... NOT! I have turtles ........  (Read 1391 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
woohoo... NOT! I have turtles ........
« on: July 15, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »
I dont get the pretty red sliders. I get tarpins that appear to being turning my garden into a "all you can eat salad bar"  How do I get rid of these things??

tinkster

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: woohoo... NOT! I have turtles ........
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 10:50:38 AM »
Take them for a ride.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 11:07:17 AM »
Being a member and former president of the Gulf Coast Turtle & Tortoise Society, may I add my 2¢ ?

I don't know how to discourage them, other than a large dog.  And who wants a mauled turtle?

You could try fencing them out, but they dig, AND they climb.  Trust me.

I think driving them elsewhere is about the best idea.  BUT... be aware that the same "good" bacteria that live in our fish also live in other animals.  The GCTTS is a big advocator of NOT displacing turtles to an area with which they are not acclimated.  Because they could introduce some new "bug" to the local population and / or fall prey to something the locals have resistance to but the new guy does not.  Whole populations of our Texas Tortoise have been wiped out in the wild by people thinking they were doing good by letting a "pet" go, but in actuality, it introduced a sort of plague that killed off the native population.

So... if you do drive them somewhere, be sure it's not too far from where they are living now.

Or, alternately, hows about giving them their own buffet... set out food expressly for them?  And include some hiding places nearby, so they feel secure, and actually eat what you want them to eat, not your garden fare.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 11:15:53 AM »
Don't know anything about turtles except red ear sliders eat vegetation too, at least mine do, LOTS.  Therefore my 8 red ears live in a 50 gal aquarium.  When they're hungry they eat anything. :D

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 11:45:16 AM »
Why did the turtle cross the road, cause tink made him.  I would give him the boot also, you have worked too hard to turn your yard in to a salad bar.  Although he's cool looking, I would have to send him on his way also.  I just couldn't watch my flowers disappear.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 04:28:34 AM »
That's a tough one, because if you don't take them too far away they might just return.  Taking them elsewhere also increases their risk of crossing roads and getting hit.  I would put up some kind of fencing that they couldn't get through.  Not very attractive, and kind of expensive, but it doesn't have to be really tall.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 02:53:56 PM »
I would take him somewhere too. Is there a lake or stream nearby? He had to have COME from somewhere to find you. Drop him at night, cover your license plate so he can't track you!
Kathy

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 03:16:30 PM »
Kathy....... lol lol lol
zone 5b

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 08:16:31 AM »
Even if he ate my flowers I would welcome a box turtle to my yard. I think it is soooooo cool that you have them. They can't possibly eat as much as rabbits or deer too. I don't have them either but I can understand being upset with them more. He doesn't need a lake or stream to be relocated. Don't you have a wild area behind your yard? just take him over there.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline jools

• Members
  • With us since: 18/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 08:23:06 AM »
wow they look cool ...we dont get anything that interesting over here......
jools

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 08:24:04 AM »
Jools, you have hedgehogs and red foxes, they are interesting. :)
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline jools

• Members
  • With us since: 18/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 08:27:23 AM »
usually interestingly flat unfortunately in the road.........

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"