Author Topic: Front yard shots today of my favorites  (Read 1243 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Front yard shots today of my favorites
« on: July 16, 2007, 02:51:08 PM »
The Canna Stutggart is reaching the eaves of the roof.  It started out will all green leaves this year and I was concerned it had lost its variegation but as it grew the white came back.

These Rudbeckias greet us every time we enter the yard.  This variety is 'Indian Summer'.  The flowers last for several weeks before fading and the plant easily reseeds.  In fact I have a volunteer just now flowering in the back yard and the petals have more brown on them.  Some bee must have been doing the mumba-jumba on another variety of Rudbeckia before he came and did his dance on one of mine and thus a different colored flower...

Ahhhh, Don't you just love the look of those flowers?  Tecoma 'Sunrise' is another favorite because she just blooms her little heart out all summer long and into the fall.

I bought this Milkweed, Asclepia physocarpa, last year.  For obvious reasons it also has the common name of Family Jewels...  :o   I have it planted right out where passersby often pause to check out the uh, err, seed pods, yes, seed pods.

I thoroughly enjoy embarrassing the fetching Mrs. Mikey.  Should she happen to be out front when one of our neighbors is admiring the garden I will casually steer them toward the Family Jewels plant and say something like, "Have you seen my family jewels?"  They often have a strange look that comes over them and upon seeing the Family Jewels they immediately bust into laughter.  I must be careful that they aren't sipping some liquid when I do this lest they spray it all over me......  The fetching one usually rolls her eyes, shakes her head and walks away pretending she doesn't know me.....  Now some of my neighbors even do the same thing with their friends or other neihbors..... "Hey Mildred; Have you seen Mike's Family Jewels.... lol
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Front yard shots today of my favorites
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 06:11:15 PM »
 :teehee:  Now them's some prickly family jewels ya got there Mikey!  AND some gorgeous flowers,,,love the sunrise!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 07:18:06 PM »
Your family jewel plant is interesting!  I'm sure there is a no feely touchy with these family jewels  lol

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 06:32:10 AM »
Love thr sunrise.  I have a canna I thought was stutggart but it is all green, so maybe it is and it will gets it varigation back.  Heres wishing
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Double S

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 07:00:46 AM »
I always love all your plants! So pretty! I don't really have much blooming here now. Floods took a toll on everything....so I enjoy seeing everyones blooms!

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 02:54:26 PM »
Those are very nice plants Mike. Your little story about the family jewels cracked my up.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 11:28:20 AM »
Both beautiful and hilarious Mikey! lol

Let me see......uh..... :teehee:....how would you mail me My Family Jewels! lol lol lol

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"