Author Topic: Croft...Where in the Maritimes do you pond?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Croft...Where in the Maritimes do you pond?
« on: July 16, 2007, 07:37:36 PM »
I just noticed your location as Maritimes.  I use to live in Saint John, New Brunswick (grew up there - 12 years) and college in Halifax, Nova Scotia.   It's interesting to see someone with a pond in a "2 nice months only" climate.  Where abouts do you live?

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Croft...Where in the Maritimes do you pond?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 07:36:00 AM »
Small world Annette.

My parents were in Halifax for most of the 80's. At first in Halifax proper, then, once they got into boating, they moved to Head of St Margarets Bay. I always enjoyed summer holidays up there, with lobster, as I recall, at C$3.00 apiece. But Christmas was always fun too, As a South African, living at the time in Atlanta, then L.A., a white Christmas was always such a novelty.

On one trip, we went up to Newfoundland first, and hitch hiked around for a week. Wow. In St. John's, the Royal yacht Britannia was in port, and the crew played a rugby match against the local side. The pubs that night all along Water Street were just heaving. Sometime that evening we ended up drinking Newfie Screech, kissing fish, and being made honorary citizens - the details are a little fuzzy.

We tried to get down to St. Pierre as well. In Form III history, describing the end of the war when England beat France in Quebec, the teacher said something like "and France lost all their territories in North America exept for fishing rights in the North Atlantic, and some unimportant islands off the coast of Canada". When I eventually saw St. Pierre and Miquelon on a map, I realized those were those unimportant French islands, and I just had to go. Apparently, if arrested on St. Pierre, you are sent to Paris - the closest French jail. Not that I was planning on testing this mind you. Sadly the weather was too bad for the ferries to be running, and then with the help of the chap whose motel we were in, we tried to bribe a fisherman to take us across, but even they weren't sailing. Sigh, so close, and yet so far. Mammoth fight broke out on the dance floor of the hotel that night trhough - even the band came down and got involved. So our trip down the Burin Peninsula did have some redeeming social qualities.

Sorry for the ramble, just have so many good memories of the Maritimes.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 08:21:44 AM »
Mike, sounds like you had a grand ol' time in Newfoundland.  Sometimes I miss snow at Christmastime but when reality checks in I don't really miss it so much.  I lived snow pretty much 17 years of my younger years and I can tell you stories....I had to pull my little sister and brother on a toboggan from home uphill in 3 feet (before metric kicked in) of snow to piano lessons and back...... lol >:(-  Partially true...downhill home  lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 07:39:15 AM »
Are there other Maritimers out there?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 05:55:20 PM »
Bump...Are you out there Ms.Croft?

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 05:22:32 PM »
Hi Annette! Been busy out in the garden lately and don't have as much time for the computer :) (Don't always check Chit Chat either)
I live in New Brunswick - fairly close to Saint John and go there often to shop! I'm originally from Ontario and don't consider myself a true maritimer yet ;)
 I'd say that we have 5 good gardening months but maybe only 3 months for hardy lily blooms. I'm jealous of your year round gardening weather! Some winters we don't get snow until mid Jan. and we get a lot of freeze/thaw cycles that are really hard on the plants :( The ski hills in NB would be out of business if not for snow making machines

Mike I haven't been to Newfoundland yet. Sounds like you had a good time on your pub crawl {:-P;;
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 05:33:07 PM »
Hi Joanne,  glad to know you.  What a small world indeed.  My DH's brother (B-I-L) lives in Saint John.  So maybe once every 2 years we visit him and his family.  We talk to him on a weekly basis and get to hear about the changeable weather you get to experience.  I do miss the wide open country and the genuine people. 

Happy ponding and gardening!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"