Author Topic: FLORIDA SUNSET JOEY SENT ME!!  (Read 2083 times)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
FLORIDA SUNSET JOEY SENT ME!!
« on: July 17, 2007, 02:48:14 PM »
Thanks Joey!! o(:-)
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: FLORIDA SUNSET JOEY SENT ME!!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 02:48:55 PM »
whoopsie! It's not sideways in my pond!
Kathy

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 03:17:08 PM »
It's pretty even sideways.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 04:43:47 PM »
I am so glad it bloomed for you so quickly!  It is a beauty!  Thanks for posting Kathy!   O0
Joey

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 04:47:43 PM »
Oooooooo, very nice!! O0
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 07:30:55 PM »
very pretty even if it dont know what direction to grow :)

tinkster

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
looks great
kathy!

see if it looks better this way.... ;)

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 05:26:12 PM »
 lol yep! That's more like it!!
Kathy

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 03:34:53 AM »
oh bummer! The Colorado bud that was on the lily when I received it rotted and didn't bloom. Hopefully new buds will be on the way.
GA Peach has big pads. I have to believe there is a bud there somewhere!
Watching a bud on lilypons,the suspense is killing me!
Kathy

Offline Desertponder

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 10:13:31 AM »
Watching a bud on lilypons,the suspense is killing me!

Oooooooo, lucky you!! :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 06:48:24 PM »
Hope the GA Peach blooms soon for you too- I am surprised it didn't bloom before Florida Sunset.  You will love it when it does!  It is another of my favorites.  I am jealous of your Lilypons bud- I am still waiting, so it looks like you are gonna win that little contest  :P
Joey

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 10:04:06 PM »
Lovely lily.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 11:03:19 PM »
colorado and georgia peach are both good bloomers. once they take off they should bloom regularly. and if that's how they perform for me, then i'm sure you'll have no problem seeing them soon. that you're seeing a bloom on lilypons is almost amazing!!

georgia peach was my best bloomer last year but i'm still waiting on it this year. i can see a first bud not far away i think. and while my colorado acted a lot like yours - got one bloom immediately for three days that wowed me, even though it wasn't really opening all the way, and now this year i'm seeing regular blooms. at least one a week since it started a few weeks ago. which is good in my climate, believe me.

oh and the FS looks good regarless of the direction, just a bit surreal the first way  ;D glad somebody sent you a quick bloomer like you did for me!!  O0

2nd year and yet to see lilypons do much more than get a huge rhizome and produce a few dull pads. mine may be up for trade this time next year if i don't see anything by then.  :'(
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 03:37:02 AM »
Hey Ed, What zone are you there? I'm 5.
I got a few tropicals in trades, but they are doing nothing. One has totally disappeared and the others are barely putting up pads.
I put ALOT of oscmocote in the lilypons pot. I didn't use the scoop, I used the CAP! Didn't rootblast that one, but I may add some.
Still waiting for the bud to open.
FL Sunshine looks alot like Barbara Dobbins to me. Same coloration.
Kathy

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 04:26:20 AM »
i'm zone 9. sunset zone 14 i think. but zones are about minimum temps , not how warm it gets. we just rarely see days over 70 here. but while this winter was our coldest anyone remembers, this summer seems to be much warmer than usual.

i imagine that many people in the midwest are having more difficulties with their tropicals this year. i've seen the weather reports with a 20 degree temp swing at night. those high 50's and low 60's nights with high 70's and low 80's during the day can't be that good for the tropicals. perhaps the dog days of august will be better.

better make sure you've got your pots properly marked. both georgia peach and colorado will throw up similar enough blooms to the FL and BD so as to confuse you if they're close together.
Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 06:01:40 AM »
That is such a pretty color.   o(:-)

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 07:37:57 PM »
I'm really liking Florida Sunset, so far it's been a very good bloomer!  Today I have 6 buds on it.

Ed, wow I expected you to have a hot climate!

Offline thedahlialama

• Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 08:48:05 PM »
Bonnie - when people think of california, they think 'sunny california'. and that's pretty true once you go a couple of miles inland as the crow flies. but i live right on the coast -- less than a mile from the ocean and the sea breeze is always cool. there is a range of hills that starts about 10 miles north of us and goes about 70 or more miles south of us that holds the cool air in. that is further cooled when it hits the hot air on the other side of the hills and causes low clouds/fog to be formed regularly. there is always at least a 10 degree difference in our temps and the ones on the other side of those hills. none of the houses around here have air conditioning. there's just no need. average day temps range from about the mid 50's to the mid 70's all year round. when it hits 80, we've had a scorcher!  ;D

the flip side is that it also doesn't get that cold either, this last winter being an exception with record lows across the state. but traditionally this region is known as an agricultural oasis because the temps rarely fall below the high 30's. i would say that most years we've been here the temps at night are in the high 40's and low 50's all year with the number of frosts countable on one hand with fingers left over. we probably don't use the heater for more than a month of total nights per year as a result. this all makes for nice living for people if you don't mind wearing sweatshirts all year. even when i have lived in an area with real seasons, 'sweater weather' has always been my favorite.

pond temps tend to stay about 5-10 degrees higher than the outside temps most of the year from my casual observations. i have yet to measure temps in my tubs and think i need to start doing this. but they feeler warmer than the pond on warm days and colder than the pond on cool days.
Our Pond & Watergardens

ed

Offline perplexed ponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »
thanks Ed!
Yep, I put tags on those plastic zip ties and strung them right through the pot edges this year. Not losing them, unless those fish grow fangs!

I could handle your weather, sounds almost perfect to me! We had a horribly cold winter, which I can do without. Spring and fall are nice, but they are to short. Summer gets very very hot and humid around here.

I think the lilypons bud is going to rot and not bloom. It still hasnt' opened and just doesn't look very good. there is another bud up and I keep debating with myself, if i should jsut cut off the one that doesnt' look so good and let the new one ge tthe extra "energy".
Kathy

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 04:11:32 AM »
Kathy, I'm in zone 5 also. Some of the trops I got this year took off and are doing great, and a few others are just now shooting up nice pads. The ones that are doing the best are a red flare from Bonnie (bunny56lbc), and a blue from kat (either a black prince or blue beauty- lost tag) that has one bloom now and four more buds pushing up. My hardies were a unknown/unnamed box special from kat that have tons of great pads but no buds yet. Some of the trops had buds that rotted off, like you mentioned, others bloomed. Go figure. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it- they were all potted the same (per timgod's instructions). I'm excited because we are for casted temps in high eighties for the next 10 days, so I'm hoping the trops will take off!!

Is the Florida sunset a trop or hardy? It is beautiful!! BTW, What is a lilypon??

Ed, your weather there sounds WONDERFUL! I'm jealous!!  :D
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"