Author Topic: thepitclub--pads that have mottling  (Read 1183 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
thepitclub--pads that have mottling
« on: July 19, 2007, 07:48:35 AM »
Hi!  I noticed your question in another posting asking about pads that have mottling.  Most hardies will have pads that don't have a lot of mottling when they are mature.  One exception is Arc En Ciel known for its beautiful pads that have green, white, & pink in them.  Perry's Orange Sunset also has nice pads.  I'm sure there are more, but those are the first 2 to come to mind.

If you want the most mottled pads, you'll need to go with tropical water lilies known for their pads. 
Foxfire, Caliente, Star of Siam, Key Largo, Miami Rose, Ostara ... lots more out there. 

So hopefully other folks will make suggestions as to what lilies they think have the prettiest pads.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
Re: thepitclub--pads that have mottling
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 08:24:49 AM »
really there's plenty of hardies with mottled pads. just a quick glance at my ponds & tubs came up with moondance, innerlight, andreana, barbara dobbins, joey tomocik and several others. plenty of Kirk Strawn's varieties have nicely mottled pads. to see more possibilities check out the Strawn collection by James Knock at victoria's
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies_images/james_ks/gallery_main.html

this descriptive list of blooms and pads by Strawn might help as well but i find it a bit lacking in full description. basically it helps eliminate the ones that say green pads.
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/more_than_links_images/kirk_strawn/strawn_waterlily_cultivars.htm
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 10:02:53 AM »
Hardies that I have with mottled pads are Aurora, Souix, and Pink Sunrise. These seem to stay mottled as they age. Denver, Gold Medal, Paul Harriot, Chromatella and Mexicana start out mottled and fade to solid green as they age.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:09:42 PM »
Here is a pad off Arc En Ciel and what's left of a bloom. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:30:11 PM »
Love that pad Kim.  If you ever need to seperate it don't forget me  ;D
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:46:52 PM »
Ok....I'll remember.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and links! I definitely have to add an Arc En Ciel to my collection.

Kim, that's a really colorful pad!
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 04:34:30 AM »
But my season is so short here, I think I'll wait till next year. Sighhhhh.
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"