Author Topic: My Lotus Is OPEN! WHat kind is she?  (Read 5560 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: She loves me, she loves me not........New day 5 pictures.
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 11:45:13 AM »
Actually here is what I found out about that particular Dragon Fly. I thought it was a Great pondhawk:

And then John Abbott at UT set me straight, they are Common pondhawks, in some cases juvenile males which turn dark blue when they mature in others the female of the species. The abdominal markings give it away:

The adult mature males look like this:

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 11:48:16 AM »
I've always enjoyed dragonflies we have around our yard but the ones you shoot from your yard are so different and beautiful.  You obviously make them welcomed.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »
Well I went out right before the storm to check the lotus tonight and ithe bloom is still wrapped tight but the bloom has taken on a very yellow tinge (could be a white bloom behind the green sheath) bloom is getting large and continues to move higher, Tinkster may have a point. This is really trying my patience......

Anticipation, anticipation
Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2007, 08:39:27 PM »
I bet by the Sunday it will open.  Getting fatter and whiter....sounds like Perry

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
Re: She loves me, she loves me not.......getting close, any guesses?
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 04:51:56 PM »
Pictures from yesterday and today When will she open and what kind is she? Guesses?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2007, 06:58:33 PM »
Your giant Dragonfly looks tiny next to your gigantic bloom  lol lol

It's wonderful that you're sharing the opening with us.  Thanks!!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 07:45:43 PM »
Tomorrow it will show some signs of opening.  But Saturday is my NEW guess for a full bloom.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 09:46:29 AM »
miguynmikoi,
    Thanks for the compliment on the dragonfly photos I rather enjoy trying to get the good shots. The one on the bloom is actually a damselfly and they are much smaller than the Dragonflys around here. In the photo above you can see a dragonfly eating a damselfly (mating pair) you can tell the size difference from that.

Okay now for an update, this morning it looked as though the lotus was about to open. It had 4 petals loose and open with others looking like they were about to. On my Pond cam I could see a large white flower but not in a lot of detail so I had my son go out and get some pictures. Hopefully they turn out well, and better yet I hope it is still open when I get home although I fear it will not be. I will update this thread with new photos tonight.  @O@  We will finally know!!!

Andy

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 10:00:35 AM »
On the first day here in Houston... a lotus opens between 7 and 8 am and closes around 2 pm.
It opens up like a soup cup...not open like a bowl.
The 2nd day it is open most of the day and late afternoon.
Day 3 it opens fully and sometimes begins to lose petals.
Day 4 all you have is petals on the ground or in your case, lake surface.

Guessing from pics and especially before it is open is not a good idea. I had my N. 'Perry's Giant Sunburst' bloom the last 3 days for the first time.
It is close in color to what I am seeing in your pics but obviously that is not definitive.
The North American lutea is also yellow and grows natively throughout the southern U.S.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
Re: She loves me!! who hoo Lotus Bloom is OPEN!!!!
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 04:07:56 PM »
Okay  calling all lotus experts!! What kind is she?? I had to have my son take a picture as I suspected it would close up before I got home and it was...... So here she is!!

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 04:46:18 PM »
I have no idea what it is but it is gorgeous. So simple but very elegant. Congratulations! Your son is quite a good  photographer. He did a good job on those.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2007, 04:48:06 PM »
I'm so excited for you I'm grinning from ear to ear.  @O@ @O@ @O@ So I can imagine how wonderful it is for you.  Hopefully you're home tomorrow to see it open in all its glory  @O@

I'm no lotus expert but I do know how to drown them.  ENJOY! You've earned it!

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 05:22:01 PM »
I am going to be up early just to watch! I really want to know what kind she is...... Someone chime in I am dying to know! Ya'll are killin' me! n. "baby doll", n. "Angel Wings" Nelumbo 'Perry's Giant Sunburst'?? Somebody throw me a bone here  :-\

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
Re: My Lotus Is OPEN! WHat kind is she?
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2007, 08:03:08 AM »
Okay Lotus is open and the wife and I went out to take a couple of pictures, Here are the pictures we took. Dying to know what she is, Any guesses??

Offline CliffandJoann

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2007, 08:17:57 AM »
I've been following this thread with interest. I don't know what kind it is, but it's
sure a beauty!

Joann

Offline thepitclub

• Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: My Lotus Is OPEN! What kind is she?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2007, 08:26:50 AM »
Finally!!!   o(:-)
I don't know a thing about lotus', but I have been watching this thread with anticipation of it blooming! It's very beautiful. I hope someone identifies it for you!
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Shawn

• Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2007, 08:45:36 AM »
Congrats! It looks beautiful!
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.
~ Mark Twain

Russell, Kentucky  Zone 5

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2007, 09:48:46 AM »
Oh I am so jealous!!! ;D  I really, really, really, really want a lotus!  I have no idea about the variety, but it is gorgeous!  Congratulations!

Also, about the dragonflies...those are the most common varieties that I encounter at our pond.  We also have been seeing some largish, ruby red ones from time to time.  I am never fast enough with the camera to photograph them, though.  I need to find out what species those guys are O0

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2007, 10:14:38 AM »
Your lotus flower is a beaut.  I like the white!

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »
Ruthie, While I wait for one of the experts ere to tell me what kind of lotus I have....... Could the red you are referring to be this Red Pennant?

Offline Ruthie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • Monique
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2007, 10:54:53 AM »
Looks like the beauties I have seen around the pond....they are a bit larger than the green ones...common pondhawk, right?  And they are quite fast, never lighting on anything for long, but kind of darting and diving.  They are amazing to watch. 

I saw one the other day battling with a hummingbird.  We have a little female ruby throated hummer who frequents the honeysuckle and the Cherry Ruffles zinnias.  She was perched up high preening while we sat by the pond a couple of days ago.  One of those big dragonflies lighted on her tree and she flew after him.  They bumped and sparred in mid air.  The hummingbird won....the dragonfly went elsewhere.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2007, 04:07:52 PM »
OH wow.. is she ever beautiful! Finally I get to see what she is after two years.  last year she didnt bloom this year she looked horrible like yours did, possibly to much fertilizer on my end, then the tree fell on her and she had to once again start over.

I dont know what she is.  I can say she is not a baby doll, they are minuature or bowl lotus.. .  I have one and they are tiny tiny compared to that one.  I first thought when it was apparent it was white that it was  charles basu?? spelling, but it doesnt have the pink trimming ....  I would suggest you PM Johns as it came from him to see what whites he had.  He would be the one that would most likely konw :)  and again congrats.. she is stunning.. I cant wait for it to bloom for me, I also love white in the garden.. it stands out so well.

tinkster

Offline mcp

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2007, 04:30:37 PM »
I can relate ! :D Great pictures . Especially love the ones of Dragon fly. Thanks for sharing. O0
McKean County Pa. zone 5

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2007, 08:17:37 PM »
How about N. 'Alba Grandiflora' Could that be it??

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
Re: My Lotus Is OPEN! WHat kind is she? WE HAVE A NAME!
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2007, 07:00:46 AM »
n.'Alba Grandiflora' @O@ after a couple of e-mails and PM's and some of my own research it appears to be n.'Alba Grandiflora' Thanks for all the support. I am just glad I am forgiven and she bloomed for me! @O@
Andy

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2007, 11:44:18 AM »
Thats what I think she is to.. I cant wait for mine like her to bloom.. she is beautiful!  Just wait till next year when she is covered with flowers :)

Check out my thread on what I did to mine in all my remodeling :(

tinkster

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2007, 05:32:14 PM »
Nice lookin lotus, I'm green with lotus-envy 8)

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2007, 04:25:47 AM »
It's a beauty!  Such pure white.
Joey

Offline rdrboone

• Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2007, 07:17:15 PM »
What a beautiful lotus!
I always enjoy your dragonfly photos.  They are so pretty.
Ruth   o(  o(  o(
Ruth

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2007, 07:57:56 PM »
Thanks all. After talking to Craig it may not be what I think but gorgeous non the less. As to the Dragon fly pictures I will keep those coming.

Andy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"