Author Topic: Need help on how to overwinter....  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Need help on how to overwinter....
« on: September 11, 2006, 08:24:38 AM »
my lotus....unfortunatly it won't be long before the time comes to think about doing it. :(  This is my first year to have lotus so overwintering them is new to me. Any and all suggestions are welcome.  (8:-)
Also, when is the best time to divide (hardy) lilly's?. Before winter or in spring? I've never had to do that before but I have 2 that have outgrown their pots this year.  :)
Thanks in advance for any help!  o(:-)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on how to overwinter....
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 08:36:59 AM »
If your lotus is in a pot in the pond, you should be ok.  I think some people sink them to the bottom, but you should only have to do that if the pot will freeze solid where it is.  Lotus should be hardy for you unless it's in a very small pond or in a pot outside the pond.

Offline Daisy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:37:43 AM »
Teresa I planted the lotus outside of the pond in pots.  ?)(?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 05:24:17 PM »
How to over-winter lotus?

Easy. Put on sunscreen, lay in lawn chair, and drink ice cold lemonade. ;D lol @O@

Happy ponding,
Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline JohnInFlorida

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Middleburg, FL ~ Zn 9
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 03:35:24 AM »
Scott,

We need to be more considerate of those who don't have the benefit of Florida winters. I remember vividly the realities of winter in the northern hinterlands ... I'll never go back, but I'll never forget either!

So, a little compassion for those less fortunate ... and besides I'm not really fond of lemonade ...

Keep Smilin'
John  :)
"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
                                    John Wayne

Offline Daisy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 04:54:08 AM »
Sigh..... I guess I'll just have to move then.  :D

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 08:09:40 AM »
Basically if you can keep the tuber from freezing it will return....so either bring it in and keep it in the garage....or mulch really good around it and cover it with plastic....I'm caught right in the middle of zones 6 & 7 so I just leave mine out....I cover them in plastic when we get really cold weather....and make sure the container stays full of water....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 12:34:43 PM »
Last year was my first year with a lotus.  I put in down into the pond.  Then this year, it was so happy there I ended up leaving it.  This year, I have a baby doll lotus and I'm going to sit it in the pond as well.

I'm in zone 6a, but sometime we do have harsh winters.  This way I don't have to worry if it dose get below freezing.  I do plan on moving this one back out of the pond in the spring.

Kimberly

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Daisy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 01:22:57 PM »
Ok are you talking only putting the tuber in the pond by itself or in a pot with dirt. Sorry for being so stupid but like I said...this is my first lotus   :-\

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 01:36:20 PM »
Put the pot with dirt in the pond . . . . as long as the tuber itself is below the ice, the lotus will come back and be happy.  I'm in zone 7 and can leave my pots on the patio . . . . I wouldn't try it in zone 5.  Another alternative is to let the lotus get hit by a couple of really good frosts to make it go dormant and then move the pots to a cold garage or basement.  Even a crawlspace should provide enough protection to keep them from freezing solid.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 02:57:42 PM »
To answer your question on the hardy lilies...........You can do them in the fall or the spring. I'm in zone 6 and prefer to do mine in the fall after they have stopped blooming. This way they still have a little bit of time to re-establish and they take off growing when spring comes. I'm afraid if I did it in the spring it could set them back too much for my shorter growing season.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Daisy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 03:45:40 PM »
Thanks Shanna! I was going to do mine in the fall too but I guess I just needed some reassurance :)  @O@

I'm still up in the air as far as the lotus...now I have to decide if I should put the lotus in the pond or in the garage  :-\
Decisions decisions....

Thanks for everybody's suggestions...I don't know if they helped or just confused me more...lollol

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 04:18:21 PM »
Um, you can divide the lotus in the late fall too, after it's gone completely dormant.  Otherwise you divide it in the very early spring before it's begun to grow.  Either way, the water is cooooollllllllddddddd!!!!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2006, 06:27:09 PM »
I put the pot and all down into the pond, its just an easy for me this way. 

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline charlotteda

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Charlottes Website
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2006, 06:08:01 AM »
I have a free standing pot of lotus that is not in the pond.  I insulate around the pot with "something" - straw - bag of leaves, etc and then put screen over the top of the pot and pineneedles on top of that.  Removing all the "stuff" when spring comes.  Mine has survivied for 3 winters this way.  My pot is too heavy to put in and out of the pond :)
Charlotte

Offline Daisy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »
Hi Charlotteda,  do you keep the dirt and water in the pot?  ?)(?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"