Author Topic: I got a new job ( I DIDN'T GO)  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I got a new job ( I DIDN'T GO)
« on: July 20, 2007, 10:49:08 AM »
I'm not sure how it will be, I went over to this place on Tuesday and put in an app, took a series of test that I passed no problem at all there.  Then today I got a call to come take my drug test, that was no problem either.

I train next week...Mon 8-2 Tue thru Fri 6-2, then the following week I move to 2nd shift 2pm to 10 pm.  They do work some overtime.  Its a warehouse job for masterlocks.  I'll be packing orders and picking orders.  I've had a tough time getting anything when I've been a stay at home mom for 14 years.  At least this will give me a job history again.  The downside is I won't see my kids much, except for the weekends.  I'm still going to do the Bingo work on Saturdays to keep my foot in the door.

Geeez, this is going to be a big change.

Kim
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 07:55:49 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline -Greg-

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
Re: I got a new job
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 11:25:34 AM »
Good luck Kim with your new job! Sounds like a big change indeed, however you never know what doors this may open down the road, just by meeting new people etc. Again, good luck!

Greg

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 12:23:12 PM »
Best wishes Kim. You'll not have as much time for us either.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 03:47:15 PM »
Good Luck Kim!!  I know the hardship of going back to "work" when you've been working at home for a bunch of little bosses.  Enjoy being out.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 07:04:38 PM »
Wow that is going to be a big change Kim!

I'm sure your DH and kids are really gonna miss ya.. I know I will! :'(

Good luck

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 07:40:35 PM »
Good luck Kim! O0

Don't forget us. :-\

Karen

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 09:17:19 PM »
congratulations Kim!!  O0

hope it works out well for you!!
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 12:29:21 AM »
I'm not looking forward to it at all.  One minute I am, the next I'm not.  Don't want to leave my kids, my daughter is only 9  :'(. 

Kim

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 02:03:45 AM »
If you have a family, those hours are really tough.  That was my favorite shift and I spent most of my career working 4pm to 12am.  I know though that most people on that shift don't have kids, and they don't have a significant other that works days either.  My friends with kids all preferred to work midnights (12am to 8am) if they couldn't get days.  Some of them even preferred midnights to day shift, they had learned to sleep in shifts as well.  The evening hours are family time and it's tough to miss that.  Give yourself permission to leave if it is really wrecking your life.  Remember, work to live, don't live to work.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 03:07:55 AM »
Kim, follow your feelings. You will know if it doesn't feel right real quick. If that shift causes you grief, ask for another shift or how soon you can be moved to a day shift so you can have the best of both worlds. You will make new friends and change can be good, but if you wind up missing being with your kids and feeling guilty, it's not worth all of that.

There are other jobs that only work days.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline thepitclub

• Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 04:57:47 AM »
Give yourself permission to leave if it is really wrecking your life.  Remember, work to live, don't live to work.

It couldn't have been said better than Jonna said it!
I've worked many jobs I HATED (a warehouse was one of them  ;) ), 'til I found my niche. I walked away from a few good paying ones, because coming home in tears every night ISN'T WORTH IT!
My job now makes me CRAZY sometimes, but I certainly don't hate it. I've been in health care for 18 years, and I wouldn't know what else to do. I'm lost when not at work during the day! I started at the bottom and worked my way up over the years; from wiping behinds to Area Supervisor, and now I am up for promotion again to Program Coordinator for the whole county. The Executive Director called me yesterday for an appointment to meet with her to go over the proposal. 

Good employees are hard to find; hard work combined with a good attitude ALWAYS gets you noticed! You are going to do fabulous!!!  O0 GOOD LUCK!

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 10:52:36 AM »
I wish I could work dayshift hours, but she doesn't catch the bus until 7:45.  I have no one to put her on the bus.  DH told me not to take the job.   I may go Monday and see what it is like.  Last night while working Bingo, I mentioned the place and this lady's daughter worded there.  She wasn't crazy about it, and when it came time to make her permenant they layed her off.  This sorta thing happened to my neighbor, she worked 3 different places and each time it was time to make her permenant that is what would happen to her.

Kim

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 03:24:22 AM »
I mentioned the place and this lady's daughter worded there.   She wasn't crazy about it, and when it came time to make her permenant they layed her off.  This sorta thing happened to my neighbor, she worked 3 different places and each time it was time to make her permenant that is what would happen to her.

Kim

Doesn't sound good Kim, they have a reputation for just using people it would seem. How about a plant store? Are there any near you? They don't open early enough to make you miss seeing the child off on the bus and it is straight days.

I have a friend that has a degree in engineering and he finally got fed up with all of the stress and now works for a large plant nursery. He doesn't knock down the big bucks but he is happy and loves what he does.

A lot of offices and businesses have indoor plants and he makes a route taking care of their plants. Low stress and he likes his job, straight days too.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 07:40:50 AM »
I did some business with Masterlocks a few years ago. They were very fair and did what they said they would do.  True I was a customer.
Good luck Kim!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
Re: I got a new job ( I DIDN'T GO)
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 07:59:14 AM »
I talked to a couple more people that had worked there.  The guy across the street said his x-wife worked there.  There is alot of heavy lifting, its just not locks it was winches and pallets.  I let it eat at my till I just felt bad.  When I woke up Saturday morn, my kids all came to me and said we don't want you to work.  We would miss you too much, and who's going to help us with our homework.  They're right, I would have got to see them a little on a Sat. before going to work at bingo, then on Sunday I would be off.  Just wasn't worth it.  I'll find something more suitable for me when the time is right.

Kim

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 09:29:27 AM »
You did the right thing.  No need to upset the balance you created at home by accepting a job that doesn't make you happy.  Your unhappy feelings at work will reflect on your family and you.

Just keep an eye open for a better opening.  There's such a thing out there waiting for you.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 01:23:56 PM »
Good Kim. I think your family needs YOU more than they need your money.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 03:10:48 PM »
I'm glad you didn't go.  You will find something with better hours for raising a family.  How about the school system?  An aid or cafeteria work?  I volunteered a lot while my boys were in school and always thought I would like to work there.

Things will work out.

Karen

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
GOOD FOR YOU KIM! O0

I was wondering how you were going to spend time with your family.. but didn't know if you had no other option than to work at that job.

If you don't HAVE to work a job like that  you and your family will be much better off...
Sure sometimes a person has to go without a few things but it is worth it to have time for your family, time is precious and goes by to quickly.

Ditto what Karen said.  I worked in the school cafeteria for a few years while Danielle was in school.   The schools around here are always looking for help and the pay is not bad. Not good but more than minimum wage.
There's always a need for PT or sub work...

Also some people think it's degrading but there is always McDonalds... they will work around a schedule. 

Hey who cares if it's McDonalds as long as you and your family benefits from it.

Also there's always, Avon, Tupperware, Home & Garden Parties, Home Interiors Parties, etc.

I started selling Home Interiors & Gifts since '92 and it worked out wonderful while DD was growing up.  Made decent money and I scheduled my own days to work. 
Some people don't think that's a REAL job but it can be a very successful one.. 

Also have you ever considered Medical Transcription?

Good luck to you and Glad to hear that your kids will have their Mom around when they need you!
(DH too) ;)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2007, 05:36:11 PM »
I too think you made the right decision.  I believe there are jobs out there that will meet all your wishes in a job.  I was blessed during my career.  I worked a 4-40 (10 hour day, 4 days a week) and that included my lunch break.  Three days off a week was wonderful.....except we had more time to spend money....  While in patrol I worked the afternoon shift from 4:30pm to 2:30am.  They actually called afternoon shift units out of service at 2:00am to allow for driving time to the station but in reality we were already at the station in the locker room changing, thus we actually were heading home closer to 2:00am.  My bride home-schooled our kids and when I awoke at 9:00am they were home with me.  As I said, I was blessed.  You can be too.  I'm sure the perfect job is out there and it's just a matter of finding it.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Mikey, I missed most of the 4/10 in my career but they did the same thing. It was really more like 4/9.   {:-P;;

I think you made the right decision for you and for your family Kim, it's good to be able to make those decisions based on what is best for all of you. 

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2007, 09:27:43 PM »
Hi Kim,
Your family needs you and I'm sure there is a better job out there some where for you. Keep looking and enjoy your time at home with your kids. They grow up so fast.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 09:20:29 AM »
Kim, you did the right thing. There are ways to make money that don't require you to work in a warehouse at odd hours.

Don't fall for scams about making money from home online though. Lots of scams out there.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 12:09:36 PM »
Good for you Kim, if it didn't feel right, it isn't right!  You will find what you looking for eventually...why be in a hurry.  Your children are needing you just right where you are. :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 04:56:17 AM »
Kim, Isin't great how god guides us to the right choices!!!!!!!!!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Loony

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 05:14:53 AM »
Kim, I think you did the right thing. I stayed home until our oldest son started college, then I had to go to work. (That tuition is a killer!) I got a job in the school cafeteria and it is perfect. I didn't have to be there until after the kids were out the door and I was home before they got home from school. I didn't have to worry about snow days or holidays because I was on their schedule. And I get summers off!! Take your time, the right job for you will come along.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 05:18:30 AM »
Good for you Kim, you made the right choice. Just keep your eyes open and something better will come along. Something that clicks with the kids schedule.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 01:28:14 PM »
I felt relief when I decided not to go.  Like a piece of creek rock taken off my shoulders.  The bingo job (volunteer  lol) gets money into the house.  So, I'll just stick with that.  After all I've done it for 10 years.

Kim

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »
Kim, I have an opening, but the commute might be a little tough  ::) Sounds like God had you moving in a totally different direction. Why were you looking in the first place?? a litlle mad ponding money? LOL. I am sure there is something even better awaiting you.
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"