Author Topic: Need input/advice- bulkheads filters??  (Read 1483 times)

Offline thepitclub

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Need input/advice- bulkheads filters??
« on: July 20, 2007, 02:50:38 PM »
I am thinking of bidding on these to over-winter the fish that are in my small ponds (would put in basement):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300132128405&rd=1&rd=1

But, I have no idea what kind of bulkheads and filters/pumps that the 100 gallon tubs would need. I emailed the seller and all he sent back was they needed 2" bulkheads for the holes. Does anyone know what items I would need, and where I would find them at??
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Need input/advice- bulkheads filters??
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 05:39:02 PM »
For that price, I say to get them. If the sides are thin enough, just go to Lowes and get 2" shower drains. Like $9-10.00 each. I'm not one to ask about filters though. There is only one filter that I beleive in, the plant filter.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 04:08:16 AM »
Thanks for the input, Scott.
I'm thinking plants won't do so well in the basement. Then again, what about grow lights... Hmmmmmm.  :thinking:
"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; instead remember that what you now have was once among the things you had only hoped for" - Epicurus

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 04:40:13 PM »
Grow lights will work but don't use tropicals. They are tougher to grow with grow lights. Unless you are heating the basement and water.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jennie in MT

• Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 05:32:34 PM »
For bulkheads, I have used matched sets of male/female threaded PVC fittings for years and never had a problems.  You can use o-rings for a great sel, or get rubber washers at a farm supply or plumbing store.  Works excellent and inexpensive.

BUT, I just went and looked at your items.  Rubbermaid stock tanks have a threaded drain near the bottom.  IMO, you could pipe directly into that to a trash can for a vortex settling chamber (I did this and it worked GREAT for a summer grow out tank.  Just used the PVC bulkheads to go into the barrel on the lower wall).  The I had the option of putting the pump at the top to pump to a bio filter for gravity return.  You could also split the output from that threaded bottom port so that you had a bottom drain if you wanted it and have a floor drain in youur basement.  Soooo many options here.  Could even "gang" the tanks together.

Have a great time eBaying!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 05:39:02 PM by Jennie in MT »

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 07:06:03 PM »
thepitclub,
Are you more interested in wintering fish or water lilies? I've done both using the 100 gallon stock tanks. When doing fish, I only had babies (less than 8" long) and used "in tank" type filtration. I used a small pump at the bottom of the 100 gal tanks, and pumped them into a DIY mechanical filter/ Trickle tower filters, suspended over the tanks. Worked like a charm. By the time the water passes through a filter mat and the Bio Balls, it is perfectly clean. Never had a bad reading. When doing lilies, all I have are strong lights suspended over the water, and bubble stones. Maybe a couple tiny fry from the season. Lilies (tropical) need more light that that in my hated zone, so my next expenditure will be the metal halide lights.

It's not too big a deal to rig up anything you need. If the holes are 2", even easier. 2" plumbing/bulkheads/fittings are much easier to obtain than 4".

Sounds like a pretty good good deal. I pay 65.00 for one 100 gallon stock tank around here, on sale.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline koiedge

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/05/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »
Well, here is an idea. I use 150 gal stock tanks outside all the time with what I call my half barrel filter.

The filter is a plastic 55 gal drum cut in half. Using the threaded holes at the top for the outflow pipe. The pump hose is just held on with a clamp, then there is course filter media, medium filter media, piece of egg crate for support, and last bath scrubbers for biological media. Works great. Keeps the water very clear.

And the pump is a power head that does around 1000 to 1300 gph. Make sure the pump has some type of vented cover as a pre-screen.

I would even think that this would work for the 300 gal tank as well. Filter over kill is ALWAYS better.

I keep spare bath scrubbers in my big pond filter, to pull out when I need to set up a small tank.

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 03:48:51 AM »
I think I'm starting to get the picture.  ?)(?
Great ideas, Thank you! I am interested in bringing in both fish and my tropical lily's (I plan to move my hardies to the bottom of my larger outdoor pre-formed). My basement is heated, but still can get chilly (60ish?), and I don't know if I want to bear the expense of heating it further. I really just want to be sure my tropicals survive the winter- not really trying "grow" them in the basement, per say. As for the fish, I was going to move the bio-box and 600 gph pump from the pre-formed pond to a 300 gallon indoor tub. I had my eye on that same rubbermaid stock tank at the local Tractor Supply Company, where it sells for about $198.00. http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=8&paID=1039&sonID=214&page=1&productID=24965&zz=48439
This auction could save me $50.00, plus the two 100 gallon tubs. Only thing is, I'd have to drive over an hour to pick those up, but TSC is right down the road. My concern is the drilled holes in the 100 gal tubs. I'm rather "mechanically challenged" and not sure if I could figure out how to rig up fittings and such... I am much better at dropping in "external devices".  {:-P;;
SOOO, with all that said, my dilemma is whether or not it's worth the time and gas for the auction if I can't figure out what to do with the 100 gallon tubs..
If all else fails, would it be possible to seal the holes in the 100 gallon tubs so they were water tight?
Whew, that was a mouthful...

Offline thepitclub

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 03:51:57 AM »
Oh yeah, I also need to measure to make sure I can get the 300 gallon tank through my basement door.  lol

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 07:40:45 AM »
I made my own bulkhead connectors for years until I found Uniseals.  I have converted all my bulkhead connections (I have four pond filter systems currently), and plan on using uniseals in the future for any new projects.  For price and durability they are the best i have found.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"